Poll

What should I learn to fly to make the best career of Aviation photography?

Helicopter
2 (22.2%)
Fixed Wing
3 (33.3%)
Gyrocopter
0 (0%)
Hot Air Balloon / Dirigible
1 (11.1%)
Ultralight
3 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: February 19, 2007, 03:40:29 PM

Author Topic: Aviation + Photography/Video  (Read 5566 times)

Offline YawningMan

• Cockerel
Aviation + Photography/Video
« on: February 05, 2007, 03:40:29 PM »
This poll brought to you by the wonderful aerial shots seen in Imax films, National Geographic films, Animal Planet footage, etc.

All I want is to be a camera not connected to the ground.  What do you think?

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
Re: Aviation + Photography/Video
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 06:04:39 PM »
I'd like to clarify my answer by saying get thy helicopter certificate after a fixed wing.  Cheaper that way.
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty

Offline switchtech

• Cockerel
  • Climb, Communicate, Confess, Comply
    • SwitchTech's home page
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 11:32:38 PM »
This is a tough choice - since the types of pictures you want to take affect the answer.  Helicopters are great, especially as video and movie platforms.  But the local shop that does aerial photography uses Cessna 172's - taking pictures of the land. 

I should point out that National Geographic used an UltraLight for a series they did in Africa (I think it was Africa).  They called the ultralight the "Sky Cam."  It flies low and slow, though I'd think the noise would spook most wild-life, they did get some great shots.

jbs
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 11:52:19 PM by switchtech »
The sky and land joined for one brief moment, then we flew - the ground a receding memory for just a little while.

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
  • It's not an old plane, it's a classic!
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 04:58:41 AM »
I should point out that National Geographic used an UltraLight for a series they did in Africa (I think it was Africa).  They called the ultralight the "Sky Cam."  It flies low and slow, though I'd think the noise would spook most wild-life, they did get some great shots.

Surpizingly I found that wildlife didn't seem to notice, much less be bothered by my ultralight.  I guess since they have no natural predators that fly, and have never been hunted from the air they just don't see it as a threat. 

As for the original question, I'd say just make good friends with someone who's already a pilot and has a plane with good visibility, preferably side windows that can open up all the way out of the way.  It's tough to take good photo's while piloting.

Phil

undatc

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 06:33:34 AM »
I have no experience in this, though I'd imagine you'd want something low, slow, and with minimal vibration, perferably two seats so you dont have to fly it when taking shots.  Maybe make a list of things like this, then look for what meets that list.

Offline YawningMan

• Cockerel
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 09:59:41 AM »
Actually, I'd prefer to be the pilot to being the photographer.

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 10:51:41 PM »
Ditto, on all the good advice above.  Also, in some airplanes it is very easy to drop the door or just remove it, so, if the weather cooperates, then you have an unobstructed view for your subjects!   :)
Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2007, 07:40:15 AM »
A photo company in Denmark seems to use a Maule M-7 that can surely fly slow and low (it did right over our house a few weeks ago) and maybe you can have a flip-up window cub-style on it.

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
  • It's not an old plane, it's a classic!
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2007, 04:20:53 PM »
Some friends of mine do professional aerial photography out of their C-170.  They've rigged the passenger side window to open all the way.

Phil

Offline YawningMan

• Cockerel
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2007, 10:33:14 PM »
Looks like I'd be on track to go fixed wing as a start, then.

Well, time to stop dreaming and start making plans and putting them to action.