Author Topic: Old-School Simulators  (Read 3782 times)

Offline YawningMan

• Cockerel
Old-School Simulators
« on: October 31, 2017, 06:12:24 PM »
I just found myself thinking about FAA certified simulators. I heard about it from the Flite-Tech audio CDs, since my wife has them.

As I recall, old-school simulators did not necessarily have a screen attached. In fact, I remember seeing some that were basically a panel with instruments and a table with an apparatus that you can attach a felt-tip pen to so that it can track your course over an actual sectional, or a glass set over your chart.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I suddenly became curious about these things. Do they still exist in this world of lots of high-fallutin' and fancy simulator setups?

Offline YawningMan

• Cockerel
Re: Old-School Simulators
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 06:51:55 PM »
After just a bit more digging, I think they're actually called ground trainers. Does anyone have any more insight? I haven't seen one in nearly two decades.

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
Re: Old-School Simulators
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 03:32:01 AM »
After just a bit more digging, I think they're actually called ground trainers. Does anyone have any more insight? I haven't seen one in nearly two decades.

Non visual simulators still exist.    In fact, even in the airline world the big procedures trainers many times can be "flown."     

In the GA world, the most ubiquitous was  the Frasca 142  http://www.aviation.illinois.edu/gallery/Pilot%20Training/Airplanes%20and%20Simulators/Simulators/Frasca%20141/slides/simulators_10_.jpg   

Some of the original simulators were basically a box (sometimes with stubby little wings for effect) and a panel and instruments with a hatch that would be closed and those actually had motion. 

"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"