Author Topic: Name That ????  (Read 736317 times)

Offline gibbo_335

• Alpha Rooster
  • Flying the NT
Re: Name That ????
« Reply #255 on: March 21, 2007, 09:52:58 PM »
 ::wave:: ::wave:: We haven't had a new plane for a while  ::sulk:: .....getting withdrawals  ::rofl::
YEWWWwwwwwwwww

Offline FlyboyGil

• Alpha Rooster
  • AW, CRAP!!!
    • MYSPACE!!!
« Reply #256 on: March 23, 2007, 04:04:02 AM »
Here's one for you.

Is that plane made by the Dayton-Wright Company. An eariler version of this racer?
IF YOU CAN'T SAY ANYTHING NICE, YOU'RE PROBABLY AT THE ICE CAPADES

Offline undatc

• Alpha Rooster
  • Standby, I have your request......
« Reply #257 on: March 23, 2007, 04:01:32 PM »
A Few more form Tillimook...

A little washed out, but the best one I took sadly...

and the last one... (this should be an easy one
-the content of the previous post does not represent the opinions of the FAA or NATCA, and is my own personal opinion...

Offline spacer

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #258 on: March 23, 2007, 04:43:31 PM »
Kaman Huskie, Harpoon, and, according to the placard in the photo, a Nakajima Oscar.  ::rofl::

Here ya go!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 05:00:55 PM by velojym »

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #259 on: March 23, 2007, 05:02:03 PM »
When the flight team competition was hosted by I believe Lewis University, Rudy Frasca of the Frasca company hosted a small party at the Frasca airport there in IL.

We were able to wander around looking at his rather large personal collection.   There is a Swiss (I think?) fighter there that is one of just a couple in the world.  He has European tourists travel to America just to gaze on it.

He also has one of the T-6 Texans that was converted into a Japanese Zero for "Tora! Tora! Tora!" in addition to an unconverted texan, the last model number of Spitfire (has a much larger engine than the ones that saw combat), as well as a plethora of other aircraft including a few German designs (he was also in the process of building I believe a BF109 from scratch).

This of course was in addition to a large numbert of simulator and airline museum pieces.  There was also a Wasp Major radial engine (4 row!), a biplane powered by a ford inline engine (complete with radiator that had a hole in the center for the crankshaft to come through for the prop) and others.    Most of the aircraft are kept airworthy and are flown periodically.

He did have a good sized collection of rare GA aircraft as well.  There were a few not quite as rare birds, but they were all interesting.

Wish I had some good pictures from that.

That might have been the same competition when a guy with a P-51 brought his bird by for a small private airshow, he also took one of the students along with him for a ride.
"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline undatc

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #260 on: March 23, 2007, 05:45:33 PM »
Kaman Huskie, Harpoon, and, according to the placard in the photo, a Nakajima Oscar.  ::rofl::

Blast me and my high res images.  Forget to take that out.....  ::banghead::

That hanger, is actually number 2 of two hangers built in Tillimook.  The first one burnt down some years ago due to a hay fire.  They were used to house up at 8 blimps if i remember right, to "guard" the pacific northwest.  At one point in time, they used hanger 2 to store something like 300 planes.  There is a neat picture in the museum, with all of them arranged in the hanger.
-the content of the previous post does not represent the opinions of the FAA or NATCA, and is my own personal opinion...

Offline undatc

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #261 on: March 23, 2007, 05:47:24 PM »
This one might get ya...

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #262 on: March 23, 2007, 05:48:24 PM »
Barter Island, gravel strip in the middle of nowhere on the north slope of Alaska has a single ex military hanger from WWII that looks big enough to hold a B-17...

I was going to say Sopwith Pup,  but the engine looks wrong to me...
"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #263 on: March 23, 2007, 05:56:47 PM »
And everybody missed that poor GoodYear Blimp! ::knockedout:: ¿Nobody likes lighter than air any more? ::banghead::
DonYan ::wave::
Funny you should mention this DonYan, I was just thinking of how airships flies (pilot-controls), especially since I first flew in the pc-game Crimson Skies and thought about if such a thing would be possible, especially after I found out that Zeppeliner's etc. were actually partly hollow and not one big ballon as I'd thought until recently.

Sorry that I can't participate in the contest but I simply don't know any of these planes and I don't know many sites to search either. There are many sites with lists of cars, specifications and history but planes are a bit rarer, sadly. Airliners.net is the only one I know but they don't have such vintage planes like these.

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline spacer

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #264 on: March 23, 2007, 06:50:18 PM »
If you're after something a little fantasy-like, yet in our possible near future.... a more controllable blimp with little need for ground support...

Offline undatc

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #265 on: March 24, 2007, 01:47:45 AM »
This one might get ya...
S.P.A.D. ::angel:: (¿Rikenbacker? bad spelling, I know...¡Eddy!)
DonYan ::wave::

I'm impressed, it is a spad.  Though that one might have stumped ya!

Offline spacer

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #266 on: March 24, 2007, 07:04:06 AM »

Here ya go!

What, no takers?
 ::whistle::

I always thought the SPAD was one of the best looking bipe fighters in that war.
Good airplane, too.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 07:05:57 AM by velojym »

Offline undatc

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #267 on: March 24, 2007, 02:18:10 PM »
What, no takers?

I always thought the SPAD was one of the best looking bipe fighters in that war.
Good airplane, too.

Its on the tip of my tung.  They have one sitting in Tillimook but I cant remember what its called.

Offline Panzerrat

• Cockerel
« Reply #268 on: March 24, 2007, 05:11:29 PM »

Here ya go!

What, no takers?

Looks a lot like a Duck, but way, way uglier.

Good airplane, too.

"You call this bad? I'll tell you what bad is....Bad is passing test depth at 80 feet per second with a thirty degree down bubble. Compared to that, this is a walk in the park.”

Offline BrianGMFS

• Rooster
  • My other car is a Firefly
« Reply #269 on: March 24, 2007, 09:48:57 PM »
Looks a lot like a Duck, but way, way uglier.

It's a Loening Amphib.... The Duck was a Grumman design inspired by it.

Brian

-

"Take my love, take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me."