Author Topic: Name That ????  (Read 736377 times)

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
Re: Name That ????
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2007, 05:07:14 PM »
DonYan: Thanks for the info, sad to see the plane crash but it's still proven itself in many ways as far as I've read. I didn't know there were other pedal-powered planes though besides that one that crossed the english channel, thank you for that information as well  |:)\

The danish-made KZ IV was actually the replacement for the Dragon Rapide for Zonen-Rescue (which merged with Falck some years ago and now it's just called Falck). A Dragon used in Denmark by Zonen is also on display at the plane museum I was in, as was another dragon, the SAAB Draken (meaning "The Dragon" in swedish).

I don't know much about australian planes sadly, except the GAF Nomad one of which I've actually seen in person in Denmark.

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2007, 01:08:36 PM »
Here's the answer to Name That Island  ::rofl::
Ø besides being one of the unique three scandinavian letters actually is also the whole danish word for "island" (Island btw means Iceland in danish). The second of the unique letters Å is also a full word besides a letter, it means "creek". I grew up in the cove south of Copenhagen and then lived in Odense to the west for 10 years where I also got my first and so far only from, flying over Odense then heading north and a little west looking at the pretty coast there.

I was going to post a more commonly known plane but I can't find the picture so I'll post this long-overdue reply to DonYan and get back to you with the plane later :)

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Turbomallard

• Rooster
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2007, 02:21:08 PM »
Ah... now here's a good one! Any takers? Hints: Picture is circa 1961 and the plane, of which one was ever built (so far as I can tell) crashed, killing its builder/pilot.

TM
"Do not read this signature under penalty of law."

Offline Turbomallard

• Rooster
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2007, 03:01:04 AM »
The delta airplane in the pic I posted is a Delt-Air 250. Only one was built. It was designed by a guy with no formal aviation background. He was also the builder. He did a fair amount of research for the day (1961, when risk was higher and more accepted in society as a whole) and believed it good to go. He only earned his private pilot's license a month before the fatal test flight and of course had no experience in anything close to this airplane. He also made the first flight in a 20 KT direct crosswind. Bottom line: a pilot with maybe 50 hours TT tried to test fly an untried airplane with an unconventional delta wing and pusher prop configuration. To make a long story short, he got it off the ground, then lost control and crashed.

I read about more senior EAAers decrying the lack of members building original designs today, and I understand their point... if you look through issues of Sport Aviation from the 50s-mid-70s you note that about half the homebuilts seem to be original one-ff designs. The fact is, however, that we're MUCH safer today, even if the vast majority of us are flying designs made from kits... designs from professional designers with components fabricated by craftsmen.

The original article on the Delt-Air is an interesting read, if for no other reason that it's a frank discussion of the subject, something EAA would never print today in the carefully PR crafted publications of the 21st century where accidents are glossed over lest anyone get any bad ideas (take the two-paragraph hidden article in Sport Aviation about the three fatalities at last year's Airventure as an example). I have the original article and can send it in PDF; if anyone wants it drop me a note off the board.

TM
"Do not read this signature under penalty of law."

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
  • It's not an old plane, it's a classic!
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2007, 07:43:56 PM »
The delta airplane in the pic I posted is a Delt-Air 250. Only one was built.
... we're MUCH safer today, even if the vast majority of us are flying designs made from kits... designs from professional designers with components fabricated by craftsmen.
... it's a frank discussion of the subject, something EAA would never print today... TM
Interesting; a pity he didn´t live a longer aviation carreer... |:)\ You are right about (and not only in Aviation) a Society that believes covering the Sun with one finger (ussually the midle one) ::sulk:: is "Safer". Reminds me of the Ostrich that buries her head to avoid Danger... ::whistle::

We also have people like the Ruttans making research on strange configs and having success. Also I love the Ultralights, most of them with the "Experimental" stiker. Like the parachutes of Skydive: "Experimental" and "may cause death" stikers AND cigarretes with "may cause death" stikers TOO..."Being BORN may cause Death some time in the Future" should be atached to every newborn, then!

Good plane choice, ::bow:: Tutbo and lets see if we get News about that unsolved Australian Oddity. ::rofl::

DonYan ::drinking:: won´t die thirsty

Don, reminds me of a joke.

A company president is meeting with a health insurance agent.  The agent is asking all the usual questions about the company's demographics when he comes to "How many of your employees are nearing retirement?"
The President responds "All of them, certainly none are going the other way."    ::thinking::

Phil

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2007, 08:32:28 PM »
So I am shure you all remeber this one... ??? ??? ???

DonYan ::wave:: ::type:: ::sleep::

Sorry, the largest operator of that aircraft (and DC-6s) in the world is here in Fairbanks.      :D

I can give you make, model and nickname, but don't want to ruin if for everyone else.     ;)

In fact, last week the company e-mailed and asked if I'd be interested in interviewing with them... had a bit of a discussion with them on Thursday and got to see one of those and a DC-6 up close and personal  (really wanted to get a look at the cockpits.

BTW, that aircraft is also supposedly the world's largest taildragger.

"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2007, 08:54:34 PM »
I can give you make, model and nickname, but don't want to ruin if for everyone else.     ;)
And it took me a while to use Paint for erasing the NickName without ditorting the image! You must have seen this Lady at close range! And thanks for your gesture...
DonYan ::banghead::

I got to climb inside her.    :)
"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline gibbo_335

• Alpha Rooster
  • Flying the NT
« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2007, 10:12:18 PM »
Hey! We have not yet solved that Aussi Plane with the tail wheel under the nose, ::silly:: and we get attaked by TurboMallard´s tailprop Arrow... ::eek:: I promp our Flying Dundee friend to tell us what his contraption was! ??? ??? ???

DonYan ::thinking:: ::whistle:: ::drinking::
HIYA DonYan,

Sorry for the tardy responce time,  my plane was too a one off, it was called the Fawcett 120, is was designed as an all Aussie trainer, recon etcetcetc ::sleep:: plane, had a successfull career as a trainer and i believe that is all.  Originally had a 130Hp Gypsy Major 4 cly engine and in the late 80's early 90's they installed a 180 hp Lycoming 0-360 engine and revised nose cowl (if i cam find a pic of the revised look i'll post it) and then it looked like a 172 that had been punched in the nose  ;D

Cheers GB

more info here: http://www.aamb.com.au/FAWCETT.HTM 
YEWWWwwwwwwwww

Offline BrianGMFS

• Rooster
  • My other car is a Firefly
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2007, 11:50:49 PM »
Heee Heee, I know what it is too.... Mater of Fact I even painted one  for Flightsim this afternoon. In Baradium's Interviewers colors as well  ::rofl::

It's a Curtiss C-46 Commando... Also known as Dumbo.

Here's two shots of the one I did for Flightsim.

BTW, that aircraft is also supposedly the world's largest taildragger

I think the B-17 is a tad bigger but I think the C-46 carried a bigger load

Brian
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 11:54:47 PM by BrianGMFS »

-

"Take my love, take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me."

Offline gibbo_335

• Alpha Rooster
  • Flying the NT
« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2007, 12:08:36 AM »
 ::banghead:: I couldn't remember the name of that plane!!!  Thanks for putting me out of my misery  ::silly::

Heres another Aussie (variant) machine for you all.... ;)

P.S the pilot standing on the wing is one of my best friends father who used to fly these in the 50's -60's.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 12:10:46 AM by gibbo_335 »
YEWWWwwwwwwwww

Offline BrianGMFS

• Rooster
« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2007, 12:59:12 AM »
::banghead:: I couldn't remember the name of that plane!!!  Thanks for putting me out of my misery  ::silly::

Heres another Aussie (variant) machine for you all.... ;)

P.S the pilot standing on the wing is one of my best friends father who used to fly these in the 50's -60's.

I believe it's a DeHaviland Drover....

Brian

-

"Take my love, take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me."

Offline BrianGMFS

• Rooster
« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2007, 01:05:02 AM »
Very good! So the Lady is remembered...Actually could lift more payload than DC-3, but never attained same notoriety. Now I would like to know what´s written on the nose, please ::whistle:: Copied from http://www.ruudleeuw.com/c-46_in_alaska.htm

DonYan ::banghead::

Almost all of Evert's C-46's have WWII Style nose art. The one in your picture is Maid of Money, they also have Maid in Japan (where they bought the airplane) The one I did the skin for in Flightsim is Salmon-Ella (named because it used to haul fish) and another one called Dumbo (with a certain elephant painted on the nose) Do a search on Airliners.net for Everts and most of their birds will show up.

-

Offline gibbo_335

• Alpha Rooster
  • Flying the NT
« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2007, 01:20:16 AM »
Hi Brian,

Well spotted, Yeap the De havilland Drover......this particular one was named John Flynn (founder of the Royal Flying Doctor Service) and flew for TAA and the RDFS this one my mates dad flew for quite a few years.!!  Drovers were built at de Havilland's Bankstown New South Wales
YEWWWwwwwwwwww

Offline BrianGMFS

• Rooster
« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2007, 01:26:43 AM »
I must say, BrianGMFS that you impress me: it is an Aussie de Havilland Drover indeed! And the Curtiss C-46 is Maid of Money, it figures...my taste in ladies is at fault there.

Maybe (it´s a remote possibility, I know ::banghead::) this next one will be more dificult to name... ???

Nope...... It's a Piaggio P.136-L  ::rofl:: My favorite planes either have round engines, float or drag thier tails.... The Piaggio does two of em' (Taildragger and Floats)

Now I must really get to bed since I have to get up at 3:30 so I can be at wotk at 5 am. And I get to play with a DC-3 in the morning ::bow:: ::bow:: I'm bringing my camera to work ;D

Brian
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 01:29:47 AM by BrianGMFS »

-

Offline Zaffex

• Cockerel
  • "It's ZULU TIME!!!"
« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2007, 01:54:33 AM »
Is it something from Learjet?  ???
"You know you're a redneck pilot when you think avgas makes a good cologne."