Author Topic: Name That ????  (Read 736105 times)

undatc

Name That ????
« on: February 03, 2007, 04:19:33 AM »
Welcome ladies and gentlemen of all ages and sizes to the worlds favorite game show, NAME THAT _________!

Ok so that was my attempt at a cheesy game show opening, anywho, I figure lets start a game here are the rules:

1) post a picture of anything and we have to guess what it is.
2) if its an airplane, no N numbers and no make/model markings
3) same thing goes for cars, make use of 'paint' and put a black smudge on them
4) for places they have to be at least nationally known, like the walk of fame in that china square place in hollywood or wherever it is
5) We reserve the right to make it a lot harder if we think its to easy.

Offline Turbomallard

• Rooster
Re: Name That ????
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 04:42:31 AM »
Cassutt? Looks like an earlier model. Tom Cassutt flew for TWA and attended the first EAA fly-in in 1953. He had the airplane designed by the following year. He designed and built the racer without any mechanical experience, and it was something that EAA could point to in the early days in efforts to get homebuilts accepted to the CAA (precursor to the FAA). One hot little machine and still being built today.

TM
"Do not read this signature under penalty of law."

Offline Turbomallard

• Rooster
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 04:54:03 AM »
How about this one...? The N number is visible but is too small to read (at least to my duck eyes...)

Offline Turbomallard

• Rooster
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 05:27:55 AM »
Though I have no idea what it actually is, id say you're right with the Cassutt type.  And I have no idea what yours is.  Got one for car lovers out there...

It's a tough one. It was never put into production, was the subject of at least one lawsuit, and has a connection to designer John Monnett, though he didn't design it. I've been told that an astronaut had connections with it, but I haven't been able to verify that (Shhhhhh! I know you can guess what it is, SoccerMom!!!).

TM

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 05:49:10 AM »
Looks like a bastardized Rutan something-or-other.
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty

Offline Turbomallard

• Rooster
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2007, 05:52:36 AM »
Looks like a bastardized Rutan something-or-other.

You're getting warmer...  ;D

TM

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2007, 07:12:47 AM »
Nissan (Skyline) GT-R Concept-car, although a similar-looking prototype has already been filmed racing around the Nürburgring Nordschleife.

Frank
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 07:25:54 AM by Frank N. O. »
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2007, 07:24:47 AM »
Is it a Midget Mustang hanging from the rafters?

This is a HARD thread -- I don't know my own name half the time.............. ::loony::

8)
Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2007, 07:26:43 AM »
Mallard: I just read the N-number and found out the company it's connected to: WOW! First I find out (Ettore) Bugatti designed a wild plane and now (Colin) Chapman!? Wicked! Just a shame his twin-jet ultra-light design wasn't built but at least he got Rutan to make that there instead from what I could read on this article http://members.fortunecity.com/alicat1/type91ml.htm
That pointy nose reminds me of the second of the lifting-bodys that helped develop the NASA Shuttle Orbiter and enabled it to land after re-entry without having to have extra engines/fuel on board.

Soccermom: Who's the dude in the avatar with the jumbo-baggypants and was he the one that said what you wrote underneath it?

Frank
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 07:29:45 AM by Frank N. O. »
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
  • It's not an old plane, it's a classic!
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2007, 07:33:53 AM »
Is it a Midget Mustang hanging from the rafters?

This is a HARD thread -- I don't know my own name half the time.............. ::loony::

8)

Definitly not a Midget Mustang, they're a low wing, not a shoulder wing.  They also have a tapered wing.  (I was lookiing the web site just the other day, thought about ordering the plans.  Also have a neighbor with a Mustang II). 

I'd have to agree it definitly looks like an early Cassutt to me.  Still one of the most popular Formula 1 race planes.  It's another one I've always thought looked like a whole lotta fun.  200+mph on a stock 100hp O-200.   ::thinking::

http://cassutt.lornet.com/

Phil

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2007, 07:40:28 AM »
So Frank, what model IS that?  I'm in the "Rutan bastardized" category too -- so what exactly is it?

And, I think I am wrong on the one in the rafters...  Hmmmm...  will wait on my next guess...  Obviously TurboMallard gives me WAY more credit than is due......  quack, quack..........

And, a computer question for all you talented people -- is there a way to somehow blur or delete an aircraft name?  I have a photo to post but the name of it is plastered all over it!  Thanks, in advance......... ::wave::

Frank, that's one of the guys I work with and he was being a FUNNY GUY and had zipped his pant legs together to make a skirt, the pant zippers go all the way up and around, because the suits are so bulky, anyway, he was modeling that one day on standby in the 100+-degree heat (39+-degree to you) and had everyone roaring...  and yeah, they say much crazier thnings than THAT about their "Mom"!!!!!!  HA HA!!!!!    ::rofl::

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2007, 07:41:54 AM »
Thanks Phil..  I knew I wasn't right.... 

;D

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2007, 07:43:52 AM »
WOW, the "200-mph" part just sank in......  YeeeeHawwww!!!!    Wouldn't THAT be a blast?!!!!?!!!   :o

Offline Turbomallard

• Rooster
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2007, 01:27:42 PM »
Mallard: I just read the N-number and found out the company it's connected to: WOW! First I find out (Ettore) Bugatti designed a wild plane and now (Colin) Chapman!? Wicked! Just a shame his twin-jet ultra-light design wasn't built but at least he got Rutan to make that there instead from what I could read on this article http://members.fortunecity.com/alicat1/type91ml.htm
That pointy nose reminds me of the second of the lifting-bodys that helped develop the NASA Shuttle Orbiter and enabled it to land after re-entry without having to have extra engines/fuel on board.

Frank

You win!

The problem was that they modified the design substantially from Rutan's original configuration, the thing was dangerous in its new form, a ton of money way lost, and they took Rutan to court. Rutan was found not guilty, as he was a ble to demonstrate that it was their "tinkering" with the design that made it dangerous/unflyable.

TM

Offline Turbomallard

• Rooster
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2007, 01:32:14 PM »
So Frank, what model IS that?  I'm in the "Rutan bastardized" category too -- so what exactly is it?

And, I think I am wrong on the one in the rafters...  Hmmmm...  will wait on my next guess...  Obviously TurboMallard gives me WAY more credit than is due......  quack, quack..........

See pages 18-20 of chapter 7.  8)

Okay... I'm going to finish my tea and get in gear... wx sucks today (surprise) so we're driving to Oshkosh/Sonex rather than flying. See you all tomorrow night or so...  ::wave::

TM