Author Topic: I want to leave, someone on the island smashed our carwindow last night  (Read 8275 times)

Offline FlyboyGil

• Alpha Rooster
  • AW, CRAP!!!
    • MYSPACE!!!
Re: I want to leave, someone on the island smashed our carwindow last night
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2007, 05:59:13 PM »
Thanks for the hint but sadly I don't think I'm qualified. I do know that there's no utopia but it's been my experience that the measure of how stressful a place is to drive thrue is not dependant on the size of the town but how the roads/locations are laid out and I know this since Odense is a major city with over 100K people while Holbæk here is tiny but so much more stressfull due to roads and narrow roads you have to drive thrue but where there's bad visibility and careless people. I'd also like to note again I was in shock when I wrote this and my mind has stabilized and gotten over it by itself long ago. I still want to leave this place though, but  it doesn't look like there's any way I can.

Frank

Canada has good roads. Theyre not so narrow. Although when you hit mountainous areas you have to be on the alert side, our roads are still pretty good. And the only real traffic problems are in the big cities in Canada.There arent that many big cities, and so there isnt too many places to get stuck. There are bad drivers though, and the always seem to drive right in front of me, leaving me yelling at them. But its usually cause theyre going to slow.

cheers
Adam
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 06:03:14 PM by FlyboyGil »
IF YOU CAN'T SAY ANYTHING NICE, YOU'RE PROBABLY AT THE ICE CAPADES

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2007, 09:20:18 PM »
Just wondering (no hidden meaning/comment intended!), what's your definition of too slow? Clearly under the speedlimit (to give room for a big error-reading on the speedometer) on a main road where it's not possible to overtake safely/legally (usually these things are connected at least where I drive in my humble opinion since cars have different performance) or something else? I'd like to know to try and learn other people's way of thinking. I personally have no seen error-readings on my speedometer from 1-9 kph at 50 kph indicated speed shown on non-recording light-boards at the entrance to city-limits on small roads which require low speed limits due to limited visibility.

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline FlyboyGil

• Alpha Rooster
  • AW, CRAP!!!
    • MYSPACE!!!
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2007, 10:54:16 PM »
Just wondering (no hidden meaning/comment intended!), what's your definition of too slow? Clearly under the speedlimit (to give room for a big error-reading on the speedometer) on a main road where it's not possible to overtake safely/legally (usually these things are connected at least where I drive in my humble opinion since cars have different performance) or something else? I'd like to know to try and learn other people's way of thinking. I personally have no seen error-readings on my speedometer from 1-9 kph at 50 kph indicated speed shown on non-recording light-boards at the entrance to city-limits on small roads which require low speed limits due to limited visibility.

Frank

Usually they drive below the speed limit 50 km in the city, and you can't pass because of oncoming traffic. Or they slow down, and speed up. And when driving conditions are not the best some people keep driving as if they are the best. For the most part though, its not too bad.
IF YOU CAN'T SAY ANYTHING NICE, YOU'RE PROBABLY AT THE ICE CAPADES

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2007, 11:01:33 PM »
At least Canadians know how to drive in bad weather!  Unlike the 98% of people who have apparently moved here from somewhere warmer....  traffic is at a halt here when we get a QUARTER-INCH OF SNOW!!!  It is REALLY fun to watch.    ::rofl::
Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
  • It's not an old plane, it's a classic!
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2007, 12:07:14 AM »
I still want to leave this place though, but  it doesn't look like there's any way I can.

Frank

What's stopping you?   ???

Phil

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2007, 12:50:42 PM »
I still want to leave this place though, but  it doesn't look like there's any way I can.

Frank

What's stopping you?   ???

Phil
Well just for Denmark then it's not easy getting a rental home since there are these clubs (don't know the correct english word for them) and they assign homes after seniority except the homes that these clubs by law have to let be used by the local county for people in need of places to stay, and there is usually a waiting perdiod of years or decades even for an apartment but the ones in DK are very noisy. The one my brother lives in which is typical for normal apartments here has the walls shaking when the person next door closes the front door and it often sounds like his own door, and everything else in the apartments can be heard thrue the walls/floor/ceiling and neither me or our mom could handle that. The waiting-list for a row-house like I've lived in for the last 10+ years is decades long and the county can't help either me or my mom get such a place, only an apartment downtown and that's too noisy (not a lot of sound-proofing in cheap danish homes it seems). If you're speaking of moving abroad then that's ruined by the fact that I can't get a visa, my education was ruined by my dad's death, he was the one holding the family together since my mom had been on disability retirement from before I was born and can neither work or drive, although she did give me my schooling from 3rd grade and it was good enough for me to get my student-exam, but the loss made my engineering-degree become lost forever. Buying a home here is extremely expensive and I don't even think I can get such a loan, I don't even have my own car and the only loan I've taken were student-loans for the engineering-school but I got that written off after the first couple of payments since I got retirement. Heck it's only the last year's time I've actually had confidence, and knowledge of my own abilities and the world ot know I could perhaps do something with my life but it'll require special circumstances.

This might leave more questions than answers but my situation is different than most others and so are the circumstances.

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2007, 08:30:18 PM »
Well, Frank, I hope you won't think me presumptuous, since I have never met you, but you seem to have a LOT going for you, and you have a lot of intelligence, wit, and desire.  Those things coupled with some stubbornness, or whatever that word is, I know -- PERSISTENCE --- will help you to achieve the things that you would like.

One of the guys I work with had this quote on a little, smashed piece of paper in his pack;  he carried it with him everywhere.  So, I copied it, and now carry it with me everywhere.  I really think it is true:

PERSISTENCE

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence.  Talent will not;  nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.  Genius will not;  unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.  Education alone will not;  the world is full of educated derelicts.  Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.

It says Calvin Coolidge (a U.S. President who was known for his quiet stubbornness) is the source, but I woudn't know for sure if that is accurate.  No matter, I like it!  Sometimes, it gives me a much-needed reminder to just keep working toward the things I think are important....  just a jab for me to try to keep things in persepctive.   

8)

Don't make me come back there!!!!