Author Topic: Aviation / airplane / pilot / flying related music  (Read 18124 times)

Offline digits

• Fledgling
  • Dare to fly the impossible
Aviation / airplane / pilot / flying related music
« on: January 26, 2007, 02:32:54 PM »
hi,

i'm looking for some aviation related music, for example "Danger zone" (top gun theme), "Airport" (sung by "the motors"),...

do any of you know other songs that are related to aviation, flying, aiplanes,.. etc ? songs from aviation movies, songs with aviation-related titles/lyrics.......

thank you verry much!

greetings,
digits
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. - Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
Re: Aviation / airplane / pilot / flying related music
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 04:49:54 PM »
Snoopy and the Red Baron by The Royal Guardsmen.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 05:18:38 PM by Gulfstream Driver »
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty

Offline BrianGMFS

• Rooster
  • My other car is a Firefly
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 06:17:17 PM »
Learn to fly by Pink Floyd
Learning to fly by the Foo Fighters
Eagles fly by Sammy Hagar
Planes by Jefferson Airplane (hard to find)
Dreams by Van Halen (Sammy Hagar owns a Gulfstream 4 by the way)
Jamacia Mistaka by Jimmy Buffet (Jimmy is a Pilot with a large collection of airplanes)

Brian

-

"Take my love, take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me."

Offline digits

• Fledgling
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 10:19:27 PM »
nice! thx!

keep'm coming :)
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. - Leonardo da Vinci

fireflyr

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 11:15:28 PM »
I know I'm the oldest old coot here but humor me for a minute-- ::angel:: my sainted mother ::angel:: used to sing a popular song from the 1930s (I believe) that was about a biplane ride where the lyrics contained "we went loopty loop"---- anybody else out there old enough to help me out (DonYan maybe?) ::thinking::  May not be relevant to Digits quest but what the hell, at my age, I'm grateful if my mind can still wander (even in the wrong direction!) :-\

Offline switchtech

• Cockerel
  • Climb, Communicate, Confess, Comply
    • SwitchTech's home page
The sky and land joined for one brief moment, then we flew - the ground a receding memory for just a little while.

Offline digits

• Fledgling
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 09:39:32 PM »
allrightie, thank you all!

next question: does there exist something that allow you to listen to music in the plane ? :)
i was thinking about a convertor to plug your mp3 player into the mike of the passenger, since that would automatically be cut off when atc is speaking.
downside is that that won't work if you are flying with some friends. so, does there exist some other convertor to, for example, plug mp3 + passenger mike into 1 hole ? (i hope you know what i mean).

just think it would be fun flying with the top gun theme on the background :D

undatc

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 11:17:11 PM »
yes, there is a attachment that works with your ipod that hooks into the PA system.  It stay on the entire time, but then the radio registers a call, it cuts out and you hear the call.  Ive used it a couple of time on solo xcountries and it works pretty well.

Offline chuckar101

• Rooster
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007, 03:37:06 AM »
Have heard of converters but I just put one earbud in and leave the other one out and make sure any radio calls are a lot louder then music.  I only use it during the long straight and level portions of the flight.  Not during the departure and arrival.
WOW I did that!

Offline YawningMan

• Cockerel
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2007, 06:54:14 AM »
I don't remember it well, but one of my friends and I brought a CD player along, and he had some sort of...  something that we could hook the CD player into the comms.  Of course, when he transmitted, the tower heard the music too, but they didn't seem to actually say anything about it.

This was back in '95 or '96, though.  Pentium was a brand new concept in the world of computers back then.

Offline digits

• Fledgling
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2007, 11:28:05 AM »
yes, there is a attachment that works with your ipod that hooks into the PA system. It stay on the entire time, but then the radio registers a call, it cuts out and you hear the call. Ive used it a couple of time on solo xcountries and it works pretty well.

but i guess, in that case, you need a separate hole for the ipod? (so eg in a cessna with 2 people in it you can't use it unless one of them disconnects his mike ?)

undatc

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2007, 05:11:23 PM »
No, it plugged into the comms on one of the sides, and it played through the comm system so both people heard it, as if you were just talking to each other, Ill email my friend that I borrowed it from and see if he can tell me the name of it.

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2007, 08:11:21 PM »
Many intercom systems have a music-in jack right on the face...No need to use a headset jack.  I think it's a regular 2.5mm jack, just like the headset jack on your mp3 player.  The radio and the intercom will cut out the music, so you can talk with ATC and your passenger.  You may have to play with the squelch and volume in order to hear it, though.
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
  • It's not an old plane, it's a classic!
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2007, 10:33:39 PM »
I've been using a little portable intercom in my plane for a couple years now.  I came with a cord to plug an walkman or Ipod into it.  Can be heard by both people, and automatically cuts out the music when transmitting or recieving.  I find I don't use it much any more, was to much of a pain to change disks in my walkman if there was any turbulance at all.  I'm guessing an Ipod wouldn't have that problem though. ;)

Phil

Offline Stef

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
    • Chicken Wings
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2007, 08:19:22 PM »
Ooh! I just discovered this topic now! I love musical challenges!  :) Not remembering a singer, a song or lyrics can really drive me crazy!!

Well, Brian already put forward some really good suggestions! Especially the Foo Fighters song! I love the video to that song, by the way.

Here are some more:
"Learning to fly" by Tom Petty
"Leaving on a jet plane" by whoever... does anybody know who sang that?
"Up where we belong" by Joe Cocker and Jennifer Warnes (a bit cheesy though).
"Aces High" by Iron Maiden... a song about the Battle of Britain, I think.

That's all I can think of right now!  |:)\