Author Topic: Life Through Your Camera  (Read 770721 times)

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
Re: Life Through Your Camera
« Reply #135 on: February 28, 2007, 05:14:58 AM »
woah, TM this a real plane your building or just a large RC model? 

With a Sonex that's actually a fair question.   ::thinking::   ;D

Phil
::rofl:: that's a good one! But if that's a model-plane then what do you call a Cri Cri? :D

Soccermom: Nice pictures, except the fire one of course but at least there are you professionals to help people  |:)\
It just occured to me that I might've forgotten to reply to your helpful and supportive comment in the other thread about my future. Thank you for your kind words, they help even though I know I have some worth then it's still nice to hear other people think so to, especially nice people like you. I'm sort-of back to status-quo, relaxing and unwinding while waiting for news in my life and my mom's new car which is part-sponsored by the county so it's also excempt from annual tax (it's not that much for that type of car but every little bit helps).
While on the subject of pictures then have you flown all those planes you switch between as avatars?

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #136 on: March 02, 2007, 03:23:12 AM »
Hi Frank,

Sorry to be slow in answering your question...  haven't been in here in the last few days.  I can't even recall all the photos I have posted, but yeah, I have flown all the ones that were avatars, anyway...  sure wish I was a MILLIONAIRE, I would be out flying a lot more right now, as we would all be, NO DOUBT!!  HA HA!!   8)

Gee, if I had THAT much dough to spend, I'd hop all around the world and meet all of you!!   8)
Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline gibbo_335

• Alpha Rooster
  • Flying the NT
« Reply #137 on: March 02, 2007, 04:45:21 AM »
 Hey there SoccerMom ::wave:: ....how long ago where you down here in OZ!!!!  Litchfield is a wonderful place to go..lotsa Crocs  :o
Did you see much else in this big land down under?
YEWWWwwwwwwwww

Offline gibbo_335

• Alpha Rooster
  • Flying the NT
« Reply #138 on: March 02, 2007, 04:54:54 AM »
Thought i'd add a couple of photos i took.....don't cry Chuck and Mike :'( BUT... this is a ditched Corsair i visited in Vanuatu last year

It's in remarkably good condition considering how long it's been there
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 04:57:39 AM by gibbo_335 »
YEWWWwwwwwwwww

Offline FlyboyGil

• Alpha Rooster
  • AW, CRAP!!!
    • MYSPACE!!!
« Reply #139 on: March 02, 2007, 05:03:17 AM »
Thought i'd add a couple of photos i took.....don't cry Chuck and Mike :'( BUT... this is a ditched Corsair i visited in Vanuatu last year

It's in remarkably good condition considering how long it's been there

Is Vanuatu Part of AUstralia? Think some museum or organization would've raised her by now
IF YOU CAN'T SAY ANYTHING NICE, YOU'RE PROBABLY AT THE ICE CAPADES

Offline gibbo_335

• Alpha Rooster
  • Flying the NT
« Reply #140 on: March 02, 2007, 05:17:32 AM »
No Vanuatu used to be known as the New Hebrides (see Google earth snap below)and was under French/English control until i think early 70's, about 2-3 hrs flight (in a 737) from Brisbane....don't really know why someone hasn't grabbed it. There is another just near this in about 4 metres of water and in much better condition (see the bottom picture..not one of mine).....i want to dive it next time i'm there ;)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 05:34:20 AM by gibbo_335 »
YEWWWwwwwwwwww

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #141 on: March 02, 2007, 05:37:06 AM »
woah gibbo!

Those are some cool Corsair pictures!
speaks for the aircraft that it's still in such a good condition, huh ?!   ;)

Never seen Corsairs like this before!!  (*insert thumbs up smiley*)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 05:40:30 AM by Mike »
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #142 on: March 02, 2007, 05:38:38 AM »
here a shot from my camera from last month in California! (actually January):

Offline gibbo_335

• Alpha Rooster
  • Flying the NT
« Reply #143 on: March 02, 2007, 05:46:30 AM »
Thanks Mike, there are quite a few Corsairs and other stuff (Betty bombers, a Catalina etc) in the water and on land around Vanuatu, the USAF had 2 massive bases over there during WWII i think the Black Sheep Squadron where even based there for a while  ::thinking:: 

Wikipedia quote : ""Marine Fighter Squadron 214 was originally commissioned on July 1, 1942, at Marine Corps Air Station Ewa, on the Island of Oahu. Initially called the "Swashbucklers", they participated in the Solomon Islands campaign, flying out of Henderson Field on Guadalcanal. They were disbanded following their combat tour and the squadron designation was given to the Marine command on Espiritu Santo.""  Santo is one of the most northern islands in Vanuatu (haven't been there yet....maybe this year  ::sulk:: )

WOW that's an impressive fire!!!  We have really big bush fires over here but i've never seen one from the air ('cept on TV  ;) ) great shot!!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 05:55:31 AM by gibbo_335 »
YEWWWwwwwwwwww

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
  • It's not an old plane, it's a classic!
« Reply #144 on: March 02, 2007, 06:05:43 AM »
woah, TM this a real plane your building or just a large RC model? 

With a Sonex that's actually a fair question.   ::thinking::   ;D

Phil
::rofl:: that's a good one! But if that's a model-plane then what do you call a Cri Cri? :D

Soccermom: Nice pictures, except the fire one of course but at least there are you professionals to help people  |:)\
It just occured to me that I might've forgotten to reply to your helpful and supportive comment in the other thread about my future. Thank you for your kind words, they help even though I know I have some worth then it's still nice to hear other people think so to, especially nice people like you. I'm sort-of back to status-quo, relaxing and unwinding while waiting for news in my life and my mom's new car which is part-sponsored by the county so it's also excempt from annual tax (it's not that much for that type of car but every little bit helps).
While on the subject of pictures then have you flown all those planes you switch between as avatars?

Frank

Of course this discussion made me dig out my old Sonex video and watch it again.  It talks about the brand new tri-gear option!   ::drinking::  So it's a few years old.  I had to hit the web site.  Very interesting little plane. 

Turbo:  Are you building from the kit, or plans?

Phil  ::cowboy::

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #145 on: March 02, 2007, 07:41:49 AM »
Thanks Mike, there are quite a few Corsairs and other stuff (Betty bombers, a Catalina etc) in the water and on land around Vanuatu, the USAF had 2 massive bases over there during WWII i think the Black Sheep Squadron where even based there for a while  ::thinking:: 

Wikipedia quote : ""Marine Fighter Squadron 214 was originally commissioned on July 1, 1942, at Marine Corps Air Station Ewa, on the Island of Oahu. Initially called the "Swashbucklers", they participated in the Solomon Islands campaign, flying out of Henderson Field on Guadalcanal. They were disbanded following their combat tour and the squadron designation was given to the Marine command on Espiritu Santo.""  Santo is one of the most northern islands in Vanuatu (haven't been there yet....maybe this year  ::sulk:: )

WOW that's an impressive fire!!!  We have really big bush fires over here but i've never seen one from the air ('cept on TV  ;) ) great shot!!

Wait a minute ! ! ! !  ::unbelieveable::

Marine Fighter Squadron 214  . . .  is that the "black sheep squadron" ??

how weird is that?! I am flying "Helicopter 214" all summer !! (that's Panaca Janes "official" callsign)

Woah !!!

Offline undatc

• Alpha Rooster
  • Standby, I have your request......
« Reply #146 on: March 02, 2007, 03:25:17 PM »
Wait a minute ! ! ! !  ::unbelieveable::

Marine Fighter Squadron 214  . . .  is that the "black sheep squadron" ??

how weird is that?! I am flying "Helicopter 214" all summer !! (that's Panaca Janes "official" callsign)

Woah !!!

Side note on your helicopter...  That's the call sign you use with ATC?  Interesting, I thought USFS guys had their own.  Two others, VHF or UHF frequencies, and do they state your call sign in group form or indivudially?
-the content of the previous post does not represent the opinions of the FAA or NATCA, and is my own personal opinion...

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #147 on: March 02, 2007, 05:58:31 PM »
Side note on your helicopter...  That's the call sign you use with ATC?  Interesting, I thought USFS guys had their own.  Two others, VHF or UHF frequencies, and do they state your call sign in group form or indivudially?

Well, the callsign is "N214GH" but "Helicopter 4GH"is such a pain in the @$$ to say, so when the helicopter came on, we named it "214" for the BLM. Still gotta go with "4GH" for ATC but sometimes they let me get away with 214. On the FM radios it's all 214.
In region 5 (California) all helicopter callsigns go by their respectives bases. Not a bad system, when you run into "Helicopter 528" for example, you'll always know which crew that is, no matter what the N-number of the ship currently flying the contract is....

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
  • It's not an old plane, it's a classic!
« Reply #148 on: March 02, 2007, 06:22:41 PM »
Sounds like she needs a new call sign.  Panaca Jane becomes "Black Sheep Jane", or "Panaca black sheep"?  ::drinking::

Phil

Offline Turbomallard

• Rooster
« Reply #149 on: March 02, 2007, 07:20:48 PM »

Of course this discussion made me dig out my old Sonex video and watch it again.  It talks about the brand new tri-gear option!   ::drinking::  So it's a few years old.  I had to hit the web site.  Very interesting little plane. 

Turbo:  Are you building from the kit, or plans?

Phil  ::cowboy::

Kit is difficult enough for me! I've never done anything mechanical in my life before and am more or less re-inventing everything as I go... i.e., try something and learn it doesn't work, scrap whatever it was, and try again. I need to live someplace where there's a retired guy with lots of building experience and nothing else to do that would like to teach me this instead of making it up as I go along! But, you work with what ya got...

The video includes everything from the beginning on up. The first two or three segments were shot for the Sport Aviation TV show that was on Speed Vision; the rest has been made for the corporate video. They're talking about revising it; that will depend, I am guessing, on the schedules for the new projects that they are working on. Expect an announcement about the new variant in the next couple of months, and possibly an entirely new project announcement by Airventure. Hoping my book will be available by then, too!

TM
"Do not read this signature under penalty of law."