Author Topic: Life Through Your Camera  (Read 768133 times)

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
Re: Life Through Your Camera
« Reply #990 on: May 12, 2008, 02:40:25 AM »
This just showed up today, from a good friend who saw it (along with hundreds of others) in a museum in Hawaii.

It was taken in 1927, in Hawaii, and that is all he could learn about it.

I just think it's a cool picture, so want to share it with you. 

Hope you like it!!!!!     ;)

Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline leiafee

• Cockerel
    • "Lets go flying": Scribblings of a novice PPL
« Reply #991 on: May 12, 2008, 06:35:26 PM »
My sister peering at the Spitfire they've just started restoring at one of my "other local" airfields.

And the inside:

The bungee cord "controllocks" tickled me because that's exactly what we do with our tommyhawk...
Clearly we're in good company!

And since the tail is still off you can peer right up inside at the mment, to ooh and aah at the construction.

Offline FlyboyGil

• Alpha Rooster
  • AW, CRAP!!!
    • MYSPACE!!!
« Reply #992 on: May 12, 2008, 08:48:29 PM »
My sister peering at the Spitfire they've just started restoring at one of my "other local" airfields.

SWWWEEEETTTTT PICTURES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ::bow:: ::bow:: ::bow:: ::bow:: ::bow:: ::bow::
IF YOU CAN'T SAY ANYTHING NICE, YOU'RE PROBABLY AT THE ICE CAPADES

Offline gibbo_335

• Alpha Rooster
  • Flying the NT
« Reply #993 on: May 12, 2008, 09:50:19 PM »
WOW!!!!   ::unbelieveable::
Leiafee, please keep us updated!!!!  THAT'S AWESOME!!!!!
YEWWWwwwwwwwww

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • I crash better than anybody I know
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #994 on: May 12, 2008, 10:08:49 PM »
those bungees aint control locks thats the control runs  ::whistle:: ::whistle::
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
  • Cogito sumere potum alterum.
« Reply #995 on: May 13, 2008, 11:08:36 PM »
Chuck--was this you??  ::whistle:: ::whistle::

Life may not be the party we hoped for---but while we're here--we might as well dance..........

airtac

« Reply #996 on: May 14, 2008, 12:11:15 AM »
OH NO, It was bound to happen-----Prez Bush thought he'd get a rotor wing checkout in Marine one ::silly::

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #997 on: May 14, 2008, 02:11:14 PM »
sorry folks had the bright idea of cutting the grass with the heli after my lawn mower broke  ::whistle::
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"

Offline Skid Kid

• Fledgling
  • Zulu Time!
« Reply #998 on: May 14, 2008, 02:32:19 PM »
Greetings from Iraq y'all! 
The first 2 are us bringing a couple whirly-birds with us on C-17s.
Apologies for the quality of the second one, it was shot from a concave window at the rear of the C-17's flight deck.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 02:34:30 PM by Skid Kid »
Don't worry, it'll buff out.

Offline Skid Kid

• Fledgling
  • Zulu Time!
« Reply #999 on: May 14, 2008, 02:37:38 PM »
And now the oddest abortion to ever take to the skies...
The stupid things fly right by where I sleep at 50 ft., shakes the plywood shack like an earthquake.
Don't worry, it'll buff out.

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #1000 on: May 14, 2008, 06:35:50 PM »
Thought those thing where grounded since the engines go on fire  ::thinking:: or have they changed over from coal burners?

airtac

« Reply #1001 on: May 14, 2008, 09:56:55 PM »
NOPE--they're not grounded---on first combat deployment now and seem to be doing quite well. |:)\

With the cost overruns I forget how much they are but rest assured the US is the only country that can afford them (OUCH!, it hurts at tax time)

Offline undatc

• Alpha Rooster
  • Standby, I have your request......
« Reply #1002 on: May 15, 2008, 04:46:07 PM »
Greetings from Iraq y'all! 
The first 2 are us bringing a couple whirly-birds with us on C-17s.
Apologies for the quality of the second one, it was shot from a concave window at the rear of the C-17's flight deck.

Is that the green tail tag of McChord AFB?  If so, they are only a few miles from home.  I've probably got some pictures on here of those doing touch and goes at the air base.  Pretty neat.
-the content of the previous post does not represent the opinions of the FAA or NATCA, and is my own personal opinion...

Offline Turbomallard

• Rooster
« Reply #1003 on: May 17, 2008, 03:39:45 AM »
Phew! Spent the last two days looking through BOXES of material on Steve Wittman at EAA's archives. I'm beat! Lots of cool stuff, some of which isn't useful in writing a book but is amazing to look at anyway. I essentially went through about three boxes (maybe 10% of the material) doing "triage" on what may be useful. Sometimes it was hard to know. Ended up making over 300 copies of documents ranging from the applications to the patent office for the infamous spring steel landing gear to letters from people he taught to fly who then went to fight WWII to correspondnace from companies who he used products from on his racers wanting endorsements from him, etc. And a whole lot more. Looking through that stuff was like the infamous drinking from a firehose quip. I'll need to go back. What a fascinating experience. First photo shows my workspace in the EAA library... boxes of Witt stuff are on the cart. Second shot is a very interesting metal lock box that had inside... well, I can't tell you.  :o  Last but not least is stuff in one of the boxes. The rolled items you see are diplomas, including Steve's high school diploma from 1924. His FAA certificates were also in that box; the bottom holds scrapbooks that hold hundreds of photos (some from the 20s which unfortunately aren't labeled) and a zillion newspaper clippings.

Wanna go back...

TM
"Do not read this signature under penalty of law."

airtac

« Reply #1004 on: May 17, 2008, 01:05:05 PM »
WOW "drinking from a firehose" is right---A guy could get lost in that stuff ::sweat::