Author Topic: Life Through Your Camera  (Read 768006 times)

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
Re: Life Through Your Camera
« Reply #885 on: January 29, 2008, 09:14:21 PM »
And a few more I had to scrape the mold off....

The tanker is a DC-4 and the cute guy in the last one is Walter, arguably one of the best tanker pilots ever...  he flew heavy tankers until he was 78.  He was a REAL character, and a wonderful man I will never forget.   |:)\

Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline gibbo_335

• Alpha Rooster
  • Flying the NT
« Reply #886 on: January 30, 2008, 08:03:32 PM »
KEWL Mom!!!!! Thanks for sharing those!  Walter looks like the Grand father we all wished we had  :) ... ::thinking:: I wish my grandfather had a DC3  :D

Here is a couple i snapped on Friday last week from my final solo nav, 3 WEEKS TO GO TO MY CHECK RIDE FOR PPL!!!! WOO HOO,
the first one is my ride VH-SPQ in Goodiwindi (central queensland) the other are just general Australian views for y'all  :D
YEWWWwwwwwwwww

Offline PiperGirl

• Rooster
« Reply #887 on: January 31, 2008, 06:41:57 PM »
beautiful pics.
3 WEEKS TO GO TO MY CHECK RIDE FOR PPL!!!! WOO HOO,
AWESOME! Almost there!!!!
No guilt in life, no fear in death /This is the power of Christ in me /From life’s first cry to final breath /Jesus commands my destiny~ Newsboys "In Christ Alone"

Offline gibbo_335

• Alpha Rooster
  • Flying the NT
« Reply #888 on: February 03, 2008, 07:38:49 PM »
beautiful pics.
3 WEEKS TO GO TO MY CHECK RIDE FOR PPL!!!! WOO HOO,
AWESOME! Almost there!!!!
G'Day Pipergirl  ::wave:: Yep nearly there.....study study study...
YEWWWwwwwwwwww

Offline Turbomallard

• Rooster
« Reply #889 on: February 06, 2008, 05:14:25 AM »
Well, this past weekend the duck migrated north to Oshkosh to hang out at the Sonex builder workshop and attend an EAA banquet with a former Air Force One pilot as the guest speaker. He had some great stories, as you can imagine. I also met with some folks to discuss a new book project. It's not finalized yet, but we're working on it. If it happens I'll be making trips up to their archives a fair amount. Driving home (the wx prevented flying) I nearly got my butt killed when a nasty snow storm rolled in during the last 20 miles of the trip (with no exits before home), complete with lightning that blinded me... and then a total moron decided he wanted to drive 70 while everyone else was doing 35 and cut in front of me... could not see three feet in front of me when he did... if there had been a curve ahead, I would have gone off the road. Braking would only have caused me to wipe out. I let up on the gas and slowed down to get clear; I realized I literally hadn't breathed for about 30 seconds! And people tell me flying my Arrow on severe clear days is "dangerous"... HA!

Anyway, here's a shot of the factory airplane doing a demo flight at Sonex on Sunday...

TM
"Do not read this signature under penalty of law."

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #890 on: February 28, 2008, 09:01:23 PM »
Wow, interesting to hear that two posts in a row have bad car-experiences behind pictures. Today I had to do an emergency stop from 70 kph since a stationwagon overtook two cars and a tractor+trailer (farm-tractor that is) right in front of me, was down to half speed when he finally came away from my lane and I stopped so hard it went to ABS on dry warm tarmac. Horn blowing and high beams on (after I started to brake) and the dude didn't even respond in any way but pull closer to the tractor, but the one lane in each direction were narrow so that didn't make a difference and I wasn't about to use the wide bike-path to the right even if it was on the same tarmac as the road since when pulling to the side, overtakers just take more space, after all I did have time to stop.
Later that day I had several people almost hit my rear bumper corner when overtaking, also over full lines and everything. 5-6 times I pulled off to parallel parkingspots on the road to give way to rows of cars and they were so close I couldn't even let go of the throttle let alone brake before I was clean off the road. One guy tailgating even started accelerating when I started signalling! And some were not cars but heavy roadtrains!!!

Now for the good part, well, the best part I could get. Some pictures from Billund Airport, although most pictures are more or less just snapshots but it's some of the best I've had the chance to take in a while so I try to keep happy despite the very very bad drive.
I was only parked at my usual spot, a rest-area on the highway that goes north of the airport, for about 30 minutes so it was limited what I saw, but it was ok. First I saw what could only have been F-16, and hopefully from the RDAF :D. The corner image was from the original resolution image where the main image is the original resized to 640x480.
Next was what appeared to be an old Lear Jet (picture taken while leaning on the passengerside of the car, first one resized, the second in original resultion just cropped). After that a red 737-like aircraft took off (Air Greenland perhaps?) and that could almost be felt when it powered up.
The next image shows the sign that's just about a trucklength after the rest-area and where the aircraft cross over the road when they land on the runway as can be seen on the second image.

To be continued in the next post.

Frank
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 09:25:58 PM by Frank N. O. »
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #891 on: February 28, 2008, 09:07:39 PM »
Then an image from the other side of the airport from a narrow side countryroad. It's not easy to tell but that's the terminal in the upper part of the picture behind the trees, where the runway is in front of it.
Next is the top of a radartower for the airport, also danish nature from it's winter-side (actually the news said vehicles are rusting up due to lack of use so it is even greener than usual for DK, but we still got time for the normal spring blizzard).
Then a hangar further down the road, still on the opposide side where I was parked before and where the passenger terminals are. Two bizjets although I'm not sure what type but they seem to be a newer and larger model than the one that landed earlier. Note: It's near the eastern edge of the GA/Cargo hangars and there was construction going on, hence the tractor-tracks in the dirt.
Finally from Billund we have this strange display. I think it's a real plane, Beech? But why it's there is unknown for me atm. The entrance to Legoland is just 100 meters down the road on the other side. This picture is on the same side of the airport as the former pictures but inside the town now and when driving the other direction since I'd driven thrue the small town a few times.

Frank
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 09:36:36 PM by Frank N. O. »
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #892 on: February 28, 2008, 09:15:36 PM »
Finally a few scenic shots. First is another view of Denmark in it's winter-coat, taken when standing on the passenger side of the car as seen in the second picture, that proves that I was actually there. I think the hill is a viking era remnant but not sure (grave hill).
This is a nice place south-east from Billund (I was trying to avoid that main road with the heavy traffic that goes straight east to Vejle). Then finally after a long drive home, due to driving wrong a few long times, is my local airport Odense Airport (ICAO: EKOD). This is what greets you when you drive into the area :D The sign reads: History Center Beldringe (Beldringe is the small town where the airport is close to, although Odense is just a few minutes drive away, especially to the NW corner where I live). As far as I know, and which can be seen fairly easily it's a WW2 shelter. The tower in the background btw seems a lot lot lot higher up after having walked up the stairs! And in 2002 I was in much better shape, heck even my mom as well as my brother walked up there to say hi to the ATC that eventually gave my brother a flight in a Tri-Pacer and shortly after arranged for the flight in the PiperGirl-and-Soccermom-know-what-plane :D The main aircraft parking is to the left of the tower since you turn left right after where the picture was taken and drive past towards the hangars before which you turn to the left again, and then to the right, right after which is where the next picture is taken. Drive down that road for a few km and there I live.
The last poor picture shows the Antonov An-2, which btw has night lighting inside. Sorry for the misalignment btw, I was stopped on the road from the airport. The picture I took of the 3-4 twins, the PC-12 and R22(?) was dark so I didn't think it would be worth anything. I also saw what looked like a Cirrus parked behind another single.

Frank
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 09:21:33 PM by Frank N. O. »
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #893 on: February 28, 2008, 09:31:23 PM »
Oh yeah, one more thing. This is something I found just after new years eve on the danish pilot forum (which I don't post in btw, I just look at the headlines on the main page and the registry and pictures of danish planes once in a while).

It's a half-size jpg-version of a big bmp image that's allegedly taken from the tower of Copenhagen International Airport (EKCH). It's actually near the town of Kastrup on the tiny island Amager (where my dad was from) and where part of Copenhagen lies on but is called Copenhagen Airport internally, a bit like Odense Airport is actually near Beldringe town, Roskilde Airport (owned by the same group as EKCH and is known as the secondary Copenhagen Airport) is near the town of Tune with the city of Roskilde somewhat further away. One of the runways of EKCH goes over the road going to the eastern part of the island where there used to sail ferrys to Malmö at least before the bridge, and it looked so fantastic to drive towards the tunnel and see a plane rotate right over the tunnel.

Frank
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 09:35:06 PM by Frank N. O. »
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #894 on: February 28, 2008, 10:08:04 PM »
Nice pictures Frank!!!!!!!!    ::bow::

::bow::

Offline gibbo_335

• Alpha Rooster
  • Flying the NT
« Reply #895 on: February 29, 2008, 12:43:29 AM »
WOW!!!!!! Frank thanks for the pics mate....keep 'em coming  ::drinking::
YEWWWwwwwwwwww

Offline madpilot44

• Cockerel
« Reply #896 on: February 29, 2008, 01:30:48 AM »
Sorry I haven't posted in a while. I haven't been getting too much time, I had to move out of Guatemala 'cause I got accepted into this place:

it's the US Air Force Academy. Now that was a great change of scenery, going from a normal college in Guatemala to a place that has an F-105, F-4, F-15 and F-16 displays in the main courtyard. Plus, I get to wear my flight suit to class every now and again. I even got a scarf, how cool is that? lol.
I got a couple more pics, I'll post them later on tonight.
To most people, the sky is the limit. To those who love aviation, the sky is home.

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #897 on: February 29, 2008, 01:51:52 AM »
Good to have you back buddy!!

and

WOAH !!!! NICE !!!
CONGRATULATIONS !!!  |:)\ ::wave::
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #898 on: February 29, 2008, 02:26:03 AM »
Wow, I 2nd the Congratulations!   |:)\

We'll all be waiting for some good stories.....    :D

8)

airtac

« Reply #899 on: February 29, 2008, 03:23:46 AM »