Author Topic: Life Through Your Camera  (Read 768063 times)

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
Re: Life Through Your Camera
« Reply #810 on: November 30, 2007, 07:06:47 AM »
Hehe, I kind of got interested after Jim had checked out the registration. I also found it listed as a NASA plane. As I said then I figured it was before you become the pilot of it since I think you said that was 2 years ago. I didn't know you fly that many different Twin Otters, it also sounds like Twin Otter is the company name. I guess that makes making the minivan for flight simulator a bit tricky if there are several different ones.

Btw, you got an email.

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #811 on: November 30, 2007, 07:22:22 AM »
Uh, so far I've flown 11 of T.O.I.'s Twin Otters, and then 4 others from other companies / agencies.

Yes, the company name was Twin Otter International Ltd. in North Las Vegas, and the office in CO is called Twin Otter Airborne Research....  so, yeah, there are more Minivans than just One....  but I do get one (and usually the same one!) for Fire Season....  you know, the one with the Pink Control Locks and the Custom Pinstripe Pink Tailstand.....   :D

::wave::
Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline Hwkdriver

« Reply #812 on: November 30, 2007, 01:02:57 PM »
I guess that's also why the horizontal stab folds down in a hover, huh?! So you don't push your own tail down?
(that IS a serious question)
[/quote]

The stabilator is a variable angle of incidence airfoil that enhances the handling
qualities and longitudinal control of the aircraft. The automatic mode of operation
positions the stabilator to the best angle of attack for existing flight conditions.

The stabilator is programmed to its optimum angle to provide the following functions:

S 1. Streamline with main rotor downwash at low airspeed (30 KIAS and below)
to minimize nose-up attitudes resulting from the main rotor downwash on the stabilator.
(Airspeed/air data transducer)

C 2. Provide Collective coupling to minimize pitch attitude excursions due to
collective inputs. An increase in the collective would result in the helicopter pitching up.
The stabilator will program trailing edge down to prevent the nose from pitching up. As
collective is reduced the stabilator will program trailing edge up to prevent the nose
from pitching down. (Collective position transducer)

A 3. Decrease Angle of incidence (program up) as airspeed increases to
enhance static and longitudinal stability. (Airspeed/air data transducer)

L 4. Lateral Sideslip to Pitch Coupling to reduce susceptibility to gusts. Also
compensates for downwash on the stabilator and tail rotor efficiency. In forward flight,
the downwash on the retreating side is weaker than the downwash on the advancing
side. If a right sideslip is entered (left pedal applied), the stabilator encounters
increased downwash and the nose tends to pitch up, therefore the stabilator programs
down to prevent the nose up attitude. A right sideslip condition also results in increased
induced flow through the tail rotor and a corresponding decrease in the amount of lift
provided by the tail rotor. In a left sideslip (right pedal applied), the stabilator is
positioned in a reduced downwash condition and the nose tends to pitch down. The
stabilator programs trailing edge up to prevent the nose from pitching down. A left
sideslip condition also results in decreased induced flow through the tail rotor and a
corresponding increase in the amount of lift provided by the tail rotor. (Lateral
Accelerometers)

P 5. Provide Pitch rate feedback to improve longitudinal stability and to reduce
susceptibility to wind gusts. Pitch rate is sensed by pitch rate gyros in each stabilator
amplifier and corrections are made to help maintain level pitch attitudes during turbulent
conditions. The stabilator also programs as “G” loading increases in turns. “G” forces
acting upon the fuselage tend to pull the nose down in a turn, and the stabilator
programs trailing up to prevent the nose from dropping. (Pitch rate gyros)

I hope that makes it clear as mud as to what the stabilator on the UH-60 actually does.
Craig
3,000 TT Helicopter
UH-60 Instructor Pilot
UH-1 qualified also

Treat every situation like a dog.  If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away.

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #813 on: November 30, 2007, 06:00:14 PM »
Wow, Thanks Hawk!!!

Sounds like this thing compensates for all kinds of things....

I wonder if it'd be weird to fly for us other sling-wing drivers. I mean I am kind of expecting the nose to come up when I lift up on the collective . . . for example.
 ;)
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline 4X-NTY

• Rooster
  • Everythings is alright
« Reply #814 on: December 02, 2007, 03:06:20 PM »
the view from my house. (its HUGE picture,watch out)
http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/7376/95260348wk3.jpg
Nitay "Pitz" Ronen

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #815 on: December 02, 2007, 04:24:01 PM »
Great view :)

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline 4X-NTY

• Rooster
  • Everythings is alright
« Reply #816 on: December 02, 2007, 05:04:46 PM »
sometime you can see uh-60 and Agaes Turbo Trush buzzing around
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 05:07:14 PM by 4X-NTY »
Nitay "Pitz" Ronen

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #817 on: December 05, 2007, 12:45:09 AM »
From the hangar-house...

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #818 on: December 05, 2007, 12:55:01 AM »
Simply wow! |:)\

Frank
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
  • Cogito sumere potum alterum.
« Reply #819 on: December 05, 2007, 04:24:40 AM »
So I was E-mailing with S'mom and she wanted to see some pictures of helicopters on floats..This was 2006 when I did a contract with USGS evaluating the Louissianna marshes after Katrina had hit.

SOme fun landing spots--ever cautious of where you put your tail.. ::whistle:: ::whistle::

Life may not be the party we hoped for---but while we're here--we might as well dance..........

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #820 on: December 05, 2007, 04:27:11 AM »
Very COOL. G-Man!!  Thanks for sharing!!

Those floats are pretty FUN...   ::wave::

You've got some GREAT pics...   ::bow::

Offline PiperGirl

• Rooster
« Reply #821 on: December 05, 2007, 11:49:44 AM »
S'mom, Wow that sunset is beautiful!

Gman - awesome pics. looks like some pretty fun landing spots too.

Here's what I woke up to this morning. ;D Sorry - it's still dark, but you get the idea!
No guilt in life, no fear in death /This is the power of Christ in me /From life’s first cry to final breath /Jesus commands my destiny~ Newsboys "In Christ Alone"

Offline Hwkdriver

« Reply #822 on: December 05, 2007, 08:42:57 PM »
Gman, did you not do any damage to your tail rotor?  Great pics!!!
Craig
3,000 TT Helicopter
UH-60 Instructor Pilot
UH-1 qualified also

Treat every situation like a dog.  If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away.

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #823 on: December 10, 2007, 12:07:31 AM »
Gman, did you not do any damage to your tail rotor?  Great pics!!!

No, but you have to really watch where you put it----normally I hover around and have one of the survey people open their door and help me out. One time it had some thin grass around it, but other than that it was always clear.

Life may not be the party we hoped for---but while we're here--we might as well dance..........

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #824 on: December 10, 2007, 12:10:16 AM »
Two feet of snow, and it was -18 this morning when I woke up...   Brrrrrr....

So I am on my way to Bismarck right now---are you saying I should not have brought my summer shorts??

Got stuck in Cedar City last night, and made it all the way to Vernal, UT today..Hopefully tomorrow I can get there.. ::whistle::