Author Topic: Life Through Your Camera  (Read 768081 times)

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
Re: Life Through Your Camera
« Reply #150 on: March 02, 2007, 08:23:52 PM »
Turbo, if you spend a summer in Baudette, you'd have that thing done in no time.  We have no shortage of retired machinists and A&P's that need a project.
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
  • It's not an old plane, it's a classic!
« Reply #151 on: March 02, 2007, 08:41:48 PM »
Kit is difficult enough for me! I've never done anything mechanical in my life before and am more or less re-inventing everything as I go... i.e., try something and learn it doesn't work, scrap whatever it was, and try again. I need to live someplace where there's a retired guy with lots of building experience and nothing else to do that would like to teach me this instead of making it up as I go along! But, you work with what ya got...

The video includes everything from the beginning on up. The first two or three segments were shot for the Sport Aviation TV show that was on Speed Vision; the rest has been made for the corporate video. They're talking about revising it; that will depend, I am guessing, on the schedules for the new projects that they are working on. Expect an announcement about the new variant in the next couple of months, and possibly an entirely new project announcement by Airventure. Hoping my book will be available by then, too!

TM

I've got a set of plans for a Bearhawk Patrol, but still trying to decide if I've got the determination to finish a full blown scratch built project.  At least any time in the next 10 years.   ::)  But I am fortunate enought to have lots of experienced people locally who'd be happy to help out or lend advice.  In the mean time I'm looking at kits that would be faster and cheaper than the Patrol.  I want something that has at least a 500 mile range (with reserve), 100mph+ cruise and can easily handle gravel runways with tires at least 6.00x6.  And if I can build it for under $20k that'd be just wonderful.  ::cowboy::

Phil

Offline gibbo_335

• Alpha Rooster
  • Flying the NT
« Reply #152 on: March 02, 2007, 11:45:36 PM »

Marine Fighter Squadron 214  . . .  is that the "black sheep squadron" ??

how weird is that?! I am flying "Helicopter 214" all summer !! (that's Panaca Janes "official" callsign)

Woah !!!

So do we call you "Pappy" Strasser  OR Mike Boyington now??  ;)
YEWWWwwwwwwwww

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #153 on: March 03, 2007, 12:46:43 AM »
[Play that "Twilight Zone" music here.............]     ::whistle::

WOW....  Helicopter 214 and the Black Sheep Corsairs might have a psychic connection EH?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!??!!!!!!!!!     

Hmmm...  so why doesn't that surprise me?!!?!!!!?!!     :o

8)     8)
Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #154 on: March 03, 2007, 12:52:21 AM »
G'day Gibbo,

Sorry to be late to answer your question -- I was lucky enough to get to your heavenly land a year ago...  we did a weather project out of Darwin.  It was AWESOME -- FUN -- GREAT -- WONDERFUL.  I did NOT want to leave!!!   :D  Talk about the NICEST people I have ever met!!!  We spent the whole time laughing.  Yeah... some tough duty, eh?!!?

Here's one of the end of the day, over the Tiwi Islands....

Offline gibbo_335

• Alpha Rooster
  • Flying the NT
« Reply #155 on: March 03, 2007, 02:58:09 AM »
Cool SoccerMom,

the people in Darwin are awesome!!!  ::wave:: Apart from being possibly one of the hottest coastal towns it is a great place to be....haven't been there for about 2 years .... ::thinking:: must get back there!!!

Awseome pic of the Tiwi islands!!!

Cheers Gibbo_335
« Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 05:29:00 AM by gibbo_335 »
YEWWWwwwwwwwww

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #156 on: March 05, 2007, 07:00:28 AM »
Just found this oldie of me and "the kids" --  we were stuck on the ground because of a severe winter storm in late summer 2003.  We were parked adjacent to the Vice President's airplane, Air Force Two.  (This is in Jackson Hole, Wyoming -- the Veep has a house there, the TFR for which resides permanently in my GPS...)   ;)   The guys had just come off a fire we dropped on a few days before, not too far from his house.

The ramp was crawling with Secret Service of course, and we sure got some serious looks, what with pulling up in an airplane with no DOOR, AND with crazed-looking guys with parachutes on, and lots of radios and knives clanking everywhere.   :D    Of course, it really helped to keep things SMOOTH, that everytime we walked past them standing guard at their security perimeter around his airplane, my funny guys would talk into their wrist watches and pretend to be covert agents. 

Fortunately, such highly-trained, intelligent people can recognize an impromptu circus troop from miles away, so we never even got scolded.    ;D

8)     

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #157 on: March 05, 2007, 08:16:04 AM »
Well, since I am digging through the moldy oldies here, think I'll share this one taken during an Army project a lot of years ago.  Taken from a DC-3, under a uniformly grey ceiling, and over beautiful new green springtime growth below.  It was sure a pretty day.

8)

Offline FlyboyGil

• Alpha Rooster
  • AW, CRAP!!!
    • MYSPACE!!!
« Reply #158 on: March 05, 2007, 03:52:52 PM »
Soccermom keep'em coming!!
IF YOU CAN'T SAY ANYTHING NICE, YOU'RE PROBABLY AT THE ICE CAPADES

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #159 on: March 05, 2007, 10:36:15 PM »
Okay --  you must have run out of beer, and have nothing to do!!!!!!!!!

This is the White Minivan we had on the Aussie weather project -- I had to get it off the gov't website, as we weren't allowed to take pictures at the base.  We're taxiing in from a day of cloud survey.  You can almost hear the sweat dripping off our noses.....    ;)

Look at those fat wings!!   :D  Man you gotta love her!!!

8)                              8)

Offline FlyboyGil

• Alpha Rooster
  • AW, CRAP!!!
    • MYSPACE!!!
« Reply #160 on: March 06, 2007, 12:34:10 AM »
Okay --  you must have run out of beer, and have nothing to do!!!!!!!!!

This is the White Minivan we had on the Aussie weather project -- I had to get it off the gov't website, as we weren't allowed to take pictures at the base.  We're taxiing in from a day of cloud survey.  You can almost hear the sweat dripping off our noses.....    ;)

Look at those fat wings!!   :D  Man you gotta love her!!!

8)                              8)

If I had run out of beer, I would've headed straight to the beer-store. I'll run out of something to do after I have my beer. :D :D
IF YOU CAN'T SAY ANYTHING NICE, YOU'RE PROBABLY AT THE ICE CAPADES

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #161 on: March 06, 2007, 03:32:58 AM »
this one was shot from across the mountain from a professional fotographer (Jeff Zimmerman):

you can even see me !!  ;D
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #162 on: March 06, 2007, 03:35:39 AM »
Wow, NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's a GREAT shot, very cool!!!      ;D

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #163 on: March 06, 2007, 03:45:14 AM »
Coooooooool!!!  8) |:)\

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #164 on: March 06, 2007, 05:21:52 AM »
Thanks guys!
Here is my favorite Panaca Jane picture!

if you like fire pictures, check out Jeffs website!
(click on the movies, they have so many great shots in it!!)

http://www.zimmermanmedia.com/fire.html !!!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 05:26:34 AM by Mike »
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.