Author Topic: It is with great sadness  (Read 5490 times)

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
  • Cogito sumere potum alterum.
It is with great sadness
« on: July 01, 2013, 04:54:35 AM »
That I report the death of so many of our fire family tonight.

Initial reports are that 19 firefighters from the Granite Mountain Hotshots lost their lives tonight on a fire in Arizona.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/30/us/arizona-missing-firefighters/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

I post here in the general section for all to see. As most know, many of the regulars on this site work in wild land fire.

Shots facing west..... X 19.
Life may not be the party we hoped for---but while we're here--we might as well dance..........

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
Re: It is with great sadness
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 02:36:25 AM »
I'm actually at a loss for words on this one....

Imagine being the one lookout who survived?

:'(
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
  • Cogito sumere potum alterum.
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 03:55:36 PM »
I'm with you Mike. How does a 20 person Hotshot crew get caught out that bad.

Unfortunately, there will be finger pointing. For all the young bucks here, when there is an accident, there will be important people come and review it. Some of those people may never have been in your situation, some will have. There WILL be an attorney who reviews the results of the investigation. Make no mistake about it....in the case of the government, they will be looking for answers, AND those answers will be in the form of a list of factors. That list begins with:

1. The crew did NOT adhere to the following standing fire orders......

2. The crew ignored the following watch out situations.......

It is their job to protect the government from litigation. Same goes for aircraft accidents, they spend months trying to dis-prove that there was anything wrong with the aircraft, and then whatever they CANNOT dis-prove, by default becomes the cause. Typically that becomes HUMAN ERROR. (Again, the manufacturer will have their representatives on the accident investigation team.

MY POINT------in everything you do, take a moment and think this phrase: "What will the accident report look like".

Take to heart this quote from Paul Gleason as he spoke about the losses at the Loop Fire: “We as firefighters can most honor them by recognizing and cherishing the lessons they have imparted to us at the greatest price.”
Life may not be the party we hoped for---but while we're here--we might as well dance..........

Offline Oddball

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • I crash better than anybody I know
    • Myspace profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 09:21:36 PM »
 |:)\ nothing more to say.
"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that!"and "spring chicken to sh**e hawk in one easy lesson"

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 05:24:45 PM »
Heartbreaking, simply heartbreaking.

Tragedies like this never, ever go away....   :'(

RIP, all of you, and all the others who went before.   
Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline Fabo

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
  • If flying is a drug,then I am a first class addict
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2015, 02:47:17 AM »
I know this thread was started for the fire family, but I'll take a change and hijack it.

For those of you who were aware of flight simulation, you were probably also aware of the site Avsim.com or Avsim.net.

The sad news is, that today, after a battle with a despicable disease, the founder of this very significant page has left us.

Facing west, I'll say godspeed, Tom.  ::bow::
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2015, 03:05:48 AM »
Fabo, just my opinion, but this might've been a better case for a new thread than dredging up this one.   I for one do not want a "new bad thing that happened but let's rehash everything else that already has happened as well" thread.
"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"