Author Topic: check gear down  (Read 16653 times)

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
  • It's not an old plane, it's a classic!
Re: check gear down
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2007, 10:20:17 AM »
Here's the version of GUMPS I use, taken from my instructor and Bob's instructors, keep in mind this is for a C-150

G = Gas, yup, it's ON, (only two positions, on and off, if you're doing a normal landing it's obviously been on)
U = Undercarriage, OK, right main tire is still there, no branches or anything hanging off it, if I have a passenger I have them check the left side.
M = Mixture, full rich
P = Primer locked
S = Seat belts tight.

Another slightly humorous version I've heard for the 150.

G = Gas, still got some.
U = Undercarriage still there
M = Mixture rich
P = Prop, still turning.
S = Seat belts on.

This is actually more involved than the factory landing checklist.  It just calls out speed and flap settings.

Phil

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2007, 02:06:23 AM »
Boy, even seeing "GUMPS" written down makes me think of the old saying, "There are those who have, and those who will....." [land gear up]......

Knock on wood!!!    ;)

Phil, I love the line for the "P" ---  "Prop, still turning" ----  always a nice sight!!    ;D

Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2007, 05:54:24 AM »
Here's the version of GUMPS I use, taken from my instructor and Bob's instructors, keep in mind this is for a C-150

G = Gas, yup, it's ON, (only two positions, on and off, if you're doing a normal landing it's obviously been on)
U = Undercarriage, OK, right main tire is still there, no branches or anything hanging off it, if I have a passenger I have them check the left side.
M = Mixture, full rich
P = Primer locked
S = Seat belts tight.

Another slightly humorous version I've heard for the 150.

G = Gas, still got some.
U = Undercarriage still there
M = Mixture rich
P = Prop, still turning.
S = Seat belts on.

This is actually more involved than the factory landing checklist.  It just calls out speed and flap settings.

Phil

Do you usually land with carb heat on, or no?
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
  • It's not an old plane, it's a classic!
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2007, 08:01:07 AM »
Gulfstream
I fly a 150 with an O-200 in the far north.  Carb heat on is the norm.   :D  When the ambient temps get down in the single digits carb heat is necessary for proper fuel atomization.
But yes, I ALWAYS apply carb heat before reducing power, and every 10 to 15 min during cruise, and as soon as I reach 1,000ft AGL after take off.  Yes, I've had some very bad carb ice on take off.  And after reviewing my factory checklist again, it does list carb heat too.  It's such a frequent thing that I guess I don't even think much about it any more.

Phil

Offline spacer

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2007, 12:53:13 AM »
Oof. Struck home.
Fortunately, it was on flightsim, but after flying around with 172s and the CH801, I started to have fun with the Aero Commander 500.
In the sim, I LOVE that airplane! (I first got a gleam over it while watching Bob Hoover do cool stuff with it)
Unfortunately, while flying an assignment for FSE (fseconomy.com) it didn't occur to me to hang the wheels to dry, and I thumped myself
repeatedly on the head as my fuselage scraped a furrow in the dirt strip.
Now there's a sticky note on my monitor: "WHEELS DOWN!!!" It seems to work, I've done pretty well with it, and I'm learning the finer points
of operating with adjustable props, multi engines, and retracts.

I related a story some time ago about one of my airplanes being landed gear-up. I was found to be innocent of anything to do with the incident,
as the pilot, a solo student working on his commercial rating, simply forgot after a long day of flying. Still put me through some antacids, though...
and I'd just done a 500 hr inspection on the actuators.

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2007, 10:30:11 PM »
Oh gosh, I read your post rather quickly at first, and didn't catch the part about it being in the SIM.  PHEW!  You scared me there.

I asked a sim instructor once, when he had finished thoroughly humiliating me in the machine and asked "Is there anything you want to try?", if we could do a gear-up landing.  This was a King Air 200 simulator and he said Sure, though I think I caught a flash of him rolling his eyes, and jotting a final "Moron" on his clipboard.    ::)

I'll be honest, it actually made me jump!  The noises they had programmed into the sim were so loud, and there was grinding metal, and zinging sparks flying "out the windshield", a horrifying bass hum of 12,000+ pounds of metal meeting macadam, and what seemed like 1,000 bright red annunciators on the warning panels.  It scared the DAYLIGHTS out of me, and I have always been glad I asked for what I thought was just an entertaining little diversion.

Knock on wood..........  that's the only one so far......    ::sweat::   

Offline BrianGMFS

• Rooster
  • My other car is a Firefly
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2007, 06:23:46 PM »
Fortunately, it was on flightsim, but after flying around with 172s and the CH801....

CH 801 huh? Glad to see someone flying my Flightsim creations ;D As for the 500 Shrike... Milton Shupe is the man when it comes to flight sim Aero Commanders.

Brian

-

"Take my love, take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me."

fireflyr

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2007, 02:46:23 AM »
Did you try taxying the 500sim with the gear up ???   Probably took LOTS of power ;)

Offline spacer

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2007, 03:13:45 AM »
Fortunately, it was on flightsim, but after flying around with 172s and the CH801....

CH 801 huh? Glad to see someone flying my Flightsim creations ;D As for the 500 Shrike... Milton Shupe is the man when it comes to flight sim Aero Commanders.

Brian

It's a trip, and I can fly some jobs in FSE (fseconomy.com) that some folks would rather do in helicopters. Muahahahaha.
Unfortunately, I've placed an ad to sell my tail kit for the real airplane. With the new baby and all, it's going to gather dust for a
long long time, so I'm going to have to find some sort of middle ground... perhaps a nice TriPacer...

I think my AC500 is the Schupe one (I'd have to go look... the package included Smuggler's Dream) and it's one of my all time favorite
airplanes. It's also quite a good moneymaker in FSE.

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2007, 09:09:54 PM »
This person could've needed a Gear Down Check, man that sounds unpleasent! http://www.flightlevel350.com/Aircraft_Cessna_182_Skylane_RG_II-Airline_Private_Aviation_Video-7951.html

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2007, 09:21:21 PM »
It didn't allow the download, but that's okay -- I can feel bad without seeing it.  What a drag!  Knock on wood, knock on wood....   :-[

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2007, 10:57:49 PM »
Can't you see it imbedded or did you want it for your collection?

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2007, 11:11:24 PM »
I'm not sure what those terms mean Frank -- I am technologically challenged.   :D  No biggie, it just said it wouldn't allow it and I gave up.  I'll try again later.

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2007, 11:44:21 PM »
Ah sorry :( But in my opinion you're anything but challenged being a special-mission super-pilot  |:)\

Imbedded means the video is shown on the page itself, using Windows Media Player, and by adding to the collection I just meant download it to your computer together with other videoclips of planes etc. like I have.

I see the download has been suspended because people have been uploading the videos to other sites without permission. That's the tough part, it's legal to download the video for yourself to watch but not to re-upload to other sites, but for technical reasons that eliminates the legal use, unless you know what to do which I do, although I only collect the nicer videos but if you want it for your own collection I can probably talk you thrue how to get it and as I understand the rules, legal and moral, then that should be ok since it's the re-uploading they don't like, not personal use.

Frank
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2007, 02:55:57 AM »
Frank,

Thanks for the explanation!!  I do get myself confused sometimes, thank goodness you folks here in the Coop have bailed me out more than once.   

And BOY, I knew you had a rousing sense of humor, but -- super-pilot -- HA HA, I am sure you meant to type "Stupor-pilot"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!     ::eek::

Aren't computers fun?  Here I am writing to you and you are halfway around the world, er, Coop.  Pretty awesome!!!    ::wave::