Author Topic: PEACE AND QUIET  (Read 7005 times)

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
  • It's not an old plane, it's a classic!
Re: PEACE AND QUIET
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2007, 07:36:27 AM »
In E and G space ultralights can pretty much do as they please.  D space and higher they need permision from the controlling athority, ie tower.  They're not allowed in A space except below 1,000ft AGL (That's how Mike Jacober of Anchorage was able to fly his over McKinley).  And they're not allowed above congested areas at all.  In Fairbanks the tower has defined a corridor below 1,000ft AGL into Metro Field that the ultralights are allowed to use, but only if they've gotten certain training from a CFI on airspace rules and visited the tower, or have a pilots certificate, unless they've changed the rules in last 5 years.

Phil

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2007, 07:49:46 AM »
Thanks for the info on that!   :)
Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2007, 07:31:15 PM »
In E and G space ultralights can pretty much do as they please.  D space and higher they need permision from the controlling athority, ie tower.  They're not allowed in A space except below 1,000ft AGL (That's how Mike Jacober of Anchorage was able to fly his over McKinley).  And they're not allowed above congested areas at all.  In Fairbanks the tower has defined a corridor below 1,000ft AGL into Metro Field that the ultralights are allowed to use, but only if they've gotten certain training from a CFI on airspace rules and visited the tower, or have a pilots certificate, unless they've changed the rules in last 5 years.

Phil

I did some looking

Ultralights may not fly in restricted or prohibited areas, Class A, B, C, D, or within the lateral boundaries of Class E airspace designated for an airport - unless pilots have prior authorization from the ATC facility that controls that airspace. Finally, ultralights cannot fly over "any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons."

BTW, Class A airspace doesn't include airspace less than 1,000 ft AGL... so it wasn't so much that he was in class A as it was he was in class G way up high.  ;)

So it sounds like you can't go into a Class E surface area either (example: Galena), without authorization and regardless of weather.    I also read that to mean that you're supposed to remain below the Class E shelf for airports with instrument approaches.  This makes sense as you're much more likely to encounter IFR aircraft coming out of the bottoms and transitioning to VFR in these areas.

Then there's this:

Because ultralights are not aircraft, they must give way to all certificated flying machines.

I would have assumed that they would have counted under the slower/less manueverable areas for right of way... either way, it's going to be pretty tough for an ultralight to get out of the way of a 1900 coming down final approach at better than 140 kts.   Especially since an ultralight probobly isn't going to have a transponder or radio (either of which can help alert us to the presences of said craft).
"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2007, 08:02:27 PM »
Is this coming from the new LSA section?
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
  • It's not an old plane, it's a classic!
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2007, 09:54:50 PM »
Is this coming from the new LSA section?

The only thing that changed for ultralights under the LSA rules, was the 2 place trainer exemption.  Everything else is still under FAR Part 103.

Phil