Author Topic: And you doubted me...  (Read 18206 times)

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
Re: And you doubted me...
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2007, 08:20:37 AM »
That's what I thought too. I tried searching for tickets to flights both now and in august, and it was the exact same price (and I search for cheapest possible). I guess I can try and search some more ticket places and try every month just in case both january and august are peak months since I don't have much of anything else I can do here so why not, at least it can't hurt. A shame the trip in a small plane would be more expensive and harder and longer since otherwise it would be a cool way for a aviation fan and aspiring pilot to enter the new world hehe.

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2007, 08:33:26 AM »
Ok now I'm really confused. I set departure feb 1st, return feb 20th, and it gave me direct Cph-SF flights for just 1851+1811 DKK. I am so totally confused now. How can it go from that, allegedly including all taxes etc. etc. to over 10K DKK for a one-way ticket, all of them as the cheapest possible price and class etc. And all was at the British Airways site.

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2007, 10:22:20 AM »
Ok now I'm really confused. I set departure feb 1st, return feb 20th, and it gave me direct Cph-SF flights for just 1851+1811 DKK. I am so totally confused now. How can it go from that, allegedly including all taxes etc. etc. to over 10K DKK for a one-way ticket, all of them as the cheapest possible price and class etc. And all was at the British Airways site.

Frank

Round trip will be cheaper each way than one way 99.99% of the time.   Sometimes round trip can be cheaper than a one way ticket even!  (I've seen it).

Factors in price vary.  Sometimes last minute is really cheap because they are desperate to sell seats, but if they've been selling a decent percentage of the seats for that flight they'll raise the price instead by a large amount to make more money off of people who *need* to go then.   Sometimes staying longer helps as well.   Time of the year you buy the tickets can be a factor, even if it's for a non peak time that you are looking at (say you buy tickets for a slow time during the peak season).   In all cases, the dates to choose to go on, as well as when you buy the tickets, affect price.
"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2007, 05:32:22 PM »
hmmm... seems like you're new to the flight booking business....

If you book a flight in the off-season (always round-trip !!! btw !! always!)
which in SF probably is Jan - April and you book it at least 3 months in advance, you'll be able to get the price down even more.

Oct - Dec is also worth a try with Oct being the best month to visit California hands down.
But you have to watch out for holidays in that time frame (Thanksgiving, Halloween, and so on)

For example:
If I was to book my annual flight to Austria on the 20 -23rd of December it would cost me $2000 USD because everybody wants to be home before Christmas.
Since we don't have little kids in the family and it doesn't matter if we celebrate a day late, I fly out on the 24th.
There are no lines at the counters and the flight is only $500 to $600 . . .

See?
 ;)
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2007, 06:37:31 PM »
You just have to keep looking.  You have an advantage, because it doesn't matter when you go.  Have you tried Orbitz, Priceline, etc.?  Sometimes it's cheaper through them, sometimes it isn't.  The nice thing about using a site like that, is they check all airlines.  You can find a flight you might like, then check the price on that company's site.  Just takes some patience.   ;)
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2007, 11:41:31 PM »
First off, sorry for what's normally called thread-jacking, secondly, what are those names you said? Airlines, price-search sites? I've never in my life left Denmark for more than a few hours. The only vacation my family ever had was driving what we could reach and still make it back the same day or visiting my mom's brother who we no longer have no contact with (their decission, they never liked my dad or his family). So no I've never ever booked anything, not even a train-ticket.

Frank
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2007, 09:40:53 AM »
Orbitz was the only site that had flights which is what I'm checking first, and it was pretty clear that BA is by far the cheapest airline to fly with and since it's got a good rep, it was also the one my mom and the church used for the atlantic crossing, then the airline seems to be set, now for the place to stay but I think I'd better use a specific thread to figure out where to go and what to see, but first off I'll check if I've started such a thread already. I did notice a segment on the CNN website that gave a few tips on rental cars, and the one that has special relevance to me was that prices at the airport often are much higher than just a few streets down even at the same company.
I did a quick check on expedia.dk (I was redirected automatically) and I seem to be looking at rentalcost equal or greater than the airline tickets. That's 10x what the costs for a owned car, darn. At that price it's almost cheaper to get my own car transported over if it's a longer stay, of course, it doesn't really run well on the dirty low-octane gas you americans use (even when converting to RON std. it's still low-octane).

Thank you for the links  |:)\
Frank
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 09:44:55 AM by Frank N. O. »
— Leonardo da Vinci