Author Topic: And you doubted me...  (Read 18237 times)

undatc

And you doubted me...
« on: January 12, 2007, 06:58:40 AM »
 ::silly::And you doubted how cold grand forks gets, and this is only the 11th of jan, it gets colder..... ::silly::

fireflyr

Re: And you doubted me...
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 04:09:20 PM »
True, but with a 7 degree dew point spread, 20 knot wind, and 9 miles visibility you can still fly-----if you can get your frozen butt into the airplane ::eek::

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 09:27:25 PM »
Not to mention it's really hard on the engine in these temps.  In KBDE right now, it's -23C (-10F).  I think the low was around -20F this morning.
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007, 02:39:34 PM »
Come out here.  We've got about 3 inches.   ::complaining:  It's too bad we spent most of last month on the plus side of 32.

fireflyr

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2007, 06:14:33 PM »
could, however UND kills flights at like -20 or something, i dont remember the exact number.
PULEASE !  Don't say "kill" and "flight" in same sentence  :-X --we already have a perception problem (same reason we don't call seatbelts "safety" belts)  ;D

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 03:26:47 PM »
My mom just came in and told me that the police says it's directly lethal to go outside now either by car or on foot, and we're so dumb that we live on a small island with no bridge connection so we might be stuck on monday if it continues since even the new ferry can't negotiate that, or it gets covered in seawater flying on the open cardeck (we're tried that often, and let me tell you, a car covered in dried saltwater looks horrible, and the spray can easily go clear over 2-3 cars). We still have plus temperatures but they say we'll have a night with a couple of minus degree in a few days but so far still only grey skies and rain and stormy winds. The Peugeot really gets moved by the winds, even just on the highways (top speed 80kph / 49.7mph) the car can get blown several inches sideways and I need to adjust really precisely to keep the car from slaloming. We testdrove the Lancer in similar weather but on the freeway (110kph / 68.4mph) and it was clearly much more stable, in fact it was very stable with just a hint in the wheel that there was sidewind and it was stable even with gusts, and we confirmed it since we drove home with the Peugeot on the very same road just after that.

I read that Nevada has no income tax and it's listed as having some of the nicer roads to drive on (not much traffic etc.), I wonder how the pilot work is there, it can't be that bad since Mike moved there, unless of course he's changing careers hehe. I wonder how the weather is there though but I'll take a look at some internet sites and see what I can find. I also think it was Nevada that had a really cool aviation licenseplate for cars, and of course Nevada is practically my middlename, if you add an a at the end that is.

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

fireflyr

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2007, 03:50:21 PM »
Frank,
The definition of Nevada is "bigass, buttugly, windy, piece of desert where folks live in mansions or trailer parks--no middle class".  Mike can live there because he doesn't gamble, drink or smoke and all day long he hangs around the door to the women's room at the terminal with a piece of cardbord that says "Hellicoper pilut will fly broke wimmen  gamblers for personal favors" scrawled in crayon! >:D
That's why there's less than 2 1/2 million population!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 04:05:09 PM by fireflyr »

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2007, 12:16:29 AM »
HAHAHA!!   :D

Hey, don't forget about the 4% humidity when summer hits -- we were all enjoying our group nosebleeds last summer when it got really dry -- ahhh, ya gotta love it!     ::)

As one of my favorite "kids" (i.e., smokejumpers) says jokingly every time they ship him to Nevada:

"NEVADA!!  Drinking-Gambling-Whoring, 24 hours a day!!  You gotta love it!!"

Seriously, though, I love it for work because we get to cover a lot of country, and the fire system is much easier to work within than in some other places in the country, and yes, it is wide open and empty...  it's typical to fly all day and only talk to other fire aircraft.  BUT -- where there ARE people, they are ALL in ONE spot....  e.g., Las Vegas, and Reno.  Go 30 miles and you'll think you're on the moon.  It's definitely a place of great CONTRASTS.

Come visit some time Frank!  But, it's not what most people would call "pretty".  It kinda "grows on you", as they say.   8)   
Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
  • It's not an old plane, it's a classic!
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2007, 04:59:21 AM »
-15F, Not to bad.  I quit walking the dog at -40 here.   ::loony::

Phil

fireflyr

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2007, 06:04:59 PM »
HAHAHA!!   :D
  It kinda "grows on you", as they say.   8)   
Yeah, so does fungus!! :P
Actually, Mary is right, there are places in Nevada like the Ruby Mountains where it's gorgeous and there are areas of beautiful desolatiom too :)

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2007, 06:45:12 PM »
Well I'm already thinking seriously about visiting western USA so I just might do that when I get some money saved up and if/when I can get the practical details sorted (like where to stay and how to get around).

-46C  ::eek:: Oh man, and I thought it was cold here at around freezing.....

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

fireflyr

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2007, 06:56:52 PM »
GOSH, A wet teeshirt contest would take on new dimensions at -46 degrees (C or F) ::unbelieveable::

Offline chuckar101

• Rooster
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2007, 08:18:13 PM »
I grew up in Nevada and its not that bad.  Most of the worst parts are military area anyway and you don't go there.  The road arent bad Frank, the best/worst thing is there straight and you can go fairly fast and still be legal(70 mph speed limit).  But other then that my opinion is vegas sucks, renos a little better, and anywhere else theres only enough to keep you entertained for a couple of hours.
WOW I did that!

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2007, 08:53:18 PM »
That'd be -46F, Frank.  Though that wouldn't be far off from Celsius.  Farenheit and Celsius meet at -40. 

This is the "new" wind chill chart.  Last Friday, in Baudette, the temperature was -12 (or so), and wind speed was around 8 mph. 

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/windchill/index.shtml

You can see that unexposed skin would freeze in about 30 min. 

I don't understand how people can say that there's no such thing as wind chill.  Those people need to spend a winter in Grand Forks.

fireflyr

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2007, 09:25:37 PM »
I grew up in Nevada and its not that bad.  Most of the worst parts are military area anyway and you don't go there.  The road arent bad Frank, the best/worst thing is there straight and you can go fairly fast and still be legal(70 mph speed limit).  But other then that my opinion is vegas sucks, renos a little better, and anywhere else theres only enough to keep you entertained for a couple of hours.
Sorry I exaggerated Chukar,  :-\
Sometimes my humor takes off in insulting directions but it really is meant to be fun. ::type::  ;D
In reality, I had a great time when I was located in ELY because the fishing was good every time I went and I LOVED hiking the trails at  Wheeler peak |:)\
Never got around to hiking or fishing in the Rubies but will sometime.   I greatly enjoyed the train museum in Ely and the guys at the airport (Terry, Sid, and others) were a fun bunch of guys to hang with.  BTW, does that motel manager still pump gas on weekends?
Also, the sailplane people were generally fun (a few are jerks-like folks everywhere), and I made some good friends in town.  All in all, it was a good summer and I'd love to come back sometime.