Author Topic: What pilot jobs require a pilot uniform or flight helmet?  (Read 26532 times)

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
What pilot jobs require a pilot uniform or flight helmet?
« on: January 10, 2007, 04:08:35 PM »
In those fancy commercial pilot schools all the students wear the airline typical pilot uniform with those strange stripes on the shoulder but what kind of commercial pilot job actually has such a dresscode? For some reason I can't picture Jim or Mike in such a suit.

And when does one use the flight helmets that are sold online, for instance by the company that made the helmets for Top Gun?

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
Re: What pilot jobs require a pilot uniform or flight helmet?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 05:16:15 PM »
All airline pilots are required to wear white shirts with epaulets indicating thier rank and hats.  Many corporate gigs require that as well, minus the hat.  Also, fancy schools, like UND have a similar dress code for instructors.  I don't know of any schools that require students to wear uniforms.

Obviously, the military uses helmets like on TopGun.  The only civilian uses I know of are for helicopters.

Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty

fireflyr

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 05:50:36 PM »
In those fancy commercial pilot schools all the students wear the airline typical pilot uniform with those strange stripes on the shoulder but what kind of commercial pilot job actually has such a dresscode? For some reason I can't picture Jim or Mike in such a suit.

And when does one use the flight helmets that are sold online, for instance by the company that made the helmets for Top Gun?

Frank

Picture it Frank---When I was a cargo dog we wore blue uniforms with the 4 stripe Captains epaulets. ::sick::

Air Attack Pilot dress code is shorts and sandals unless we're at a CDF tanker base (some federal bases too)---then we're required to wear Nomex flight suits.

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 06:12:32 PM »

Frank

Picture it Frank---When I was a cargo dog we wore blue uniforms with the 4 stripe Captains epaulets. ::sick::

Air Attack Pilot dress code is shorts and sandals unless we're at a CDF tanker base (some federal bases too)---then we're required to wear Nomex flight suits.

UND used to require the instructors to wear captains bars until 2000 or so (I forget the exact year) when they switched to epaulets that said "UND" on them.  My instructor at the time was pretty happy about that, because he said he always felt like crap walking into a terminal on a x-cnty with those bars on and all the coroporate and airline FO's watching him climb out of a Warrior.
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty

undatc

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 06:47:52 PM »

Frank

UND used to require the instructors to wear captains bars until 2000 or so (I forget the exact year) when they switched to epaulets that said "UND" on them.  My instructor at the time was pretty happy about that, because he said he always felt like crap walking into a terminal on a x-cnty with those bars on and all the coroporate and airline FO's watching him climb out of a Warrior.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA  ::rofl:: ::rofl:: ::rofl:: ::rofl:: ::rofl::  Wow I would have killed to see my instructor do that.  I can just imagine.  He was the kinda guy that would brag about being a 'captain' of a warrior.  LOL.  Anyways, most professional pilot jobs require you to wear something.  Be it just slacks shirt and tie, or a full uniform.  Even us as controllers now have a dress code :(

Offline chuckar101

• Rooster
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 07:27:56 PM »
The instructors here at ATP wear blue shirts, with either blue dress pants or blue shorts(depending on the weather).  Rumor has it that students here will soon be wearing something similar.  There is also a flight school here called RAA and they wear the fance uniforms with stripes and all.  The students usuall have 1-2 bars while the instructors are wearing 3-4.  The funniest uniforms I have seen is silver state helicopter instructors wear kacki flight suits.  I think its kinda funny since they fly r22s.
WOW I did that!

Offline BrianGMFS

• Rooster
  • My other car is a Firefly
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 11:45:47 PM »
my company's pilots uniform is a white shirt, black tie, black pants and shoes and epaulets with 3 stripes for FO's and 4 for captains. Also the Challenger Poilots also have blue Blazer style coats. In the winter a v neck sweater is added to the uniform as an option.

Brian

-

"Take my love, take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me."

Offline Mic

• Fledgling
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2007, 05:34:39 PM »
In "my" school, the students must wear an uniform. More precisely, the student enrolled by ... our "former National" Airline Company and sent in our school.

Due to this dress code, it has been decided to oblige our instructor to wear an uniform too. But in both cases, there is no stripes. Only the wings on the shirt for the instructor.
A good landing allows pilot to walk out
An excellent landing allows the plane to fly again

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
  • It's not an old plane, it's a classic!
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2007, 12:24:33 AM »
Alaskan Fish and Wildlife pilots are required to wear helments.  They use the Dave Clark style like you usually see on helicopter pilots.  And of course the Trooper pilots have to wear their standard uniform, including armored vest.

Phil

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2007, 06:42:33 PM »
Thanks for all the answers, it was most informative, and funny about the Archer Captain  ::rofl::

Jim: What's wrong with a blue uniform?

Btw, while I'm at it, isn't it in aviation there's a difference between people with bronw and black shoes?

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

fireflyr

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2007, 07:10:12 PM »
Thanks for all the answers, it was most informative, and funny about the Archer Captain  ::rofl::

Jim: What's wrong with a blue uniform?

Btw, while I'm at it, isn't it in aviation there's a difference between people with bronw and black shoes?

Frank

Nothing wrong with the blue uniform, it's just that new hires would feel silly getting out of an old beat up Cherokee Arrow (the first A/C the company assigned) all dressed up and with captains bars :D

The brown/black shoe thing has something to do with US Naval Aviation I believe---I'm sure Panzerrat or any other Naval vet can answer that ::wave::

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2007, 02:12:39 AM »
We flew a survey job with an Aussie scientist who was honestly quite dismayed that we showed up to cart him around with no epaulets on our shoulders.  It turned into a constant teasing over the next few weeks, as we criss-crossed the country.  He had a million reasons why we "NEEDED" them...  his favorite being "But, it'll get us chicks at the hotel!!"  Which, of course, always got me to respond the same way:  "Well, that doesn't do much for me!"   ::) 

Fortunately, on the last day, the guy I was flying with realized he had two sets, still in the virgin plastic they came in, lying under a layer of dust in the bottom of his flight bag.  We found some giant black binder clips, and clipped them, rather ingloriously, onto the shoulders of our T-shirts while enroute back to base.  We waited to see how long it would take the Epaulet Fetish King to notice, and we were just about to give up on his powers of observation, when an ear-splitting laugh came over the headsets.  He cracked up!   ::rofl::

But...  he was still bummed about not getting all the chicks.   ::sulk::
Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2007, 02:33:53 AM »
 ::rofl:: That was a great joke, and I love the reply to the aussie's arguments about getting chicks, of course you could've added: Well you can have mine (playing on his argument that chicks only see the stripes on the shoulders).

Personally I wouldn't mind if I never wore a airline-style uniform, I'd rather just fly and have the FAA license in my wallet and the keys to a plane in my pocket (or in the ignition, depending on where I am lol).

Frank
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 02:36:23 AM by Frank N. O. »
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2007, 02:39:03 AM »
I am with you, Frank!  Exactly!!   ;D    ;D
Don't make me come back there!!!!

fireflyr

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2007, 05:21:31 AM »
Funny story Mary, ::rofl::

That is absolutely whacko!!!---I give you a "10" on that one ::bow::