Author Topic: tachgage  (Read 9093 times)

Offline digits

• Fledgling
  • Dare to fly the impossible
tachgage
« on: January 09, 2007, 08:31:43 PM »
hi,

what's a tachgage ?

greetings,
digits
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. - Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
Re: tachgage
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 08:46:39 PM »
 ::rofl:: Great strip guys, typical Chuck thinking. I must say btw that the comment Chuck made at the end reminded me of what Porsche replied when asked if they were going to use diesel engines: Fun starts at 4000 rpm and that's when diesel engines stop.

Tach gauge is also known as a tachometer and a rev counter. It's a name for the instrument that shows engine RPM in both aircraft and ground vehicles  ::wave::

Frank

P.S. The Chicken Wings forum has now blown right past the 10000 post mark! Congratulations  |:)\
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 08:50:49 PM by Frank N. O. »
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline digits

• Fledgling
  • Dare to fly the impossible
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 08:57:07 PM »
ahh :)

When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. - Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Mic

• Fledgling
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 05:37:01 PM »
Really nice strip and THE FIRST STRIP ABOUT GLIDER !!!

Nice for me (glider pilot). I really appreciate it ! And this is typically the kind of discussion we can have with powered plane pilot !!

thanks a lot !
A good landing allows pilot to walk out
An excellent landing allows the plane to fly again

Offline happylanding

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 06:56:56 PM »
i really liked it guys! As always, actually! thanks for the everlasting entertainment! :)  |:)\

BTW, looks like chuck is, for once, right!  ;D ehehehe!
I give that landing a 9 . . . on the Richter scale.

Offline YawningMan

• Cockerel
Gliding/ Sailing.
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007, 05:53:08 PM »
Okay, I wanna go on the record as saying I LOVE sailing/gliding!  I've taken 6 hours in an Aeronca Champ, and 2 hours in gliders.  I have to say, in that 2 hours of gliding, I became way more relaxed than I did in any of those 6 hours in the Champ.  It seems way more natural to me.  There may not be any practical use for gliding anymore, other than one way to train.  Still, it's an amazing way to fly.

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2007, 09:59:48 AM »
Really nice strip and THE FIRST STRIP ABOUT GLIDER !!!

Nice for me (glider pilot). I really appreciate it ! And this is typically the kind of discussion we can have with powered plane pilot !!

thanks a lot !

HA HA!

Yeah, we thought a lot about you while doing this strip. It's something we hadn't touched before but we realized, while we came up
with the ideas, how much potential the whole glider thing has for us. There will be more to come soon!
Chuck and gliders! That's too good to pass on.

Had a bunch of sailplane people write us already as well wanting to use this strip!!
that was a nice surprise !
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline Turbomallard

• Rooster
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2007, 02:05:58 PM »

Yeah... he'd probably try to do a go-around on a landing!  :D

TM
"Do not read this signature under penalty of law."

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2007, 05:08:56 PM »

TM

oh yeah! good example. maybe we should have another contest!!

BTW Turbo:    guess what I had at the chinese restaurant today ?!  mmmm....yummy....  ::wave::
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

fireflyr

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2007, 05:48:00 PM »

TM

BTW Turbo:    guess what I had at the chinese restaurant today ?!  mmmm....yummy....  ::wave::

HMMM, Chuck and gliders--lots of potential material there ::thinking::

And don't be telling Turbo about chinese menus, he's noticed some relatives are missing  ::angel:: already!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 06:22:53 PM by fireflyr »

Offline Mic

• Fledgling
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2007, 08:55:20 PM »

TM

Be careful : it isn't impossible  ... I did it several times and under ATC clearance !

"Mic : Tower, glider DV, in final for a go around procedure"
"Tower : ... ! Euh DV, Tower ... euh do you confirm you're a glider ?'
"Mic : Affirme, GLider DV Sir !"
"Tower : Well, .... DV, clear for option, report downwind !"
"Mic : DV going around and report downwind !"

In fact, we sometime realize high speed approach to train ourself with competition (race) arrival. You speed up, stabilize at 150 ft, pass over the runway and pull gently the stick to re-convert your speed into altitude. you can arrive in downwind between 600 to 1000ft !

Really fun to do guys !

Offline Turbomallard

• Rooster
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2007, 08:55:49 PM »

TM

oh yeah! good example. maybe we should have another contest!!

Yeah, fortune cookies are the best, aren't they?  ;D

TM
"Do not read this signature under penalty of law."

Offline Zaffex

• Cockerel
  • "It's ZULU TIME!!!"
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2007, 09:59:49 PM »
Hmmm, I always thought you measured fun with the airspeed indicator or altimeter.  ;D More numbers you can use.
"You know you're a redneck pilot when you think avgas makes a good cologne."

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2007, 10:03:41 PM »
Mic: I did some training in FSX with a glider and while I know it's not a good sim for gliding (there are at least two dedicated glidersims out there) then it was interesting what I learned, like the negative flaps for instance. I am amazed to hear that ATC call though, was that something you heard (maybe even said) in real life?

Mallard: Lol, great comeback! Mallard 1 - Mike 0, ready for next round  ::rofl::

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Mic

• Fledgling
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2007, 06:45:01 PM »
Yes, the radio transcription is a real one ... But now the ATC guys know us (and sometime we bring them in flight) so they are no longer surprised by our "strange" approach procedure !

About FS, I use to fly a lot in glider with FS9 (FS2004) but the out-of-the-box status of FS9 (as FSX) isn't satisfactory. A lot of developpers have built addon to create better gliders, thermals, ridge lift, orographic ondulations, GPS recorder, ...

The better glider simulator today is Condor, very realistic about thermals and glider behaviors : www.condorsoaring.com

I'm from a (mainly French spoken) virtual community which fly under FS and Condor (FS with gliders, helos, powered planes, ...) : www.air-pyrenees-serveur.com
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 06:58:01 PM by Mic »