Author Topic: $40 to $50 thousand dollar question  (Read 11529 times)

Offline AirtransRecon

• Fledgling
  • FL90...?!... Contact Houston Space Center
$40 to $50 thousand dollar question
« on: January 03, 2007, 03:57:46 AM »
Some of you may know that my current plan of action in the aviation world is to finish my PPL which is of course always sep one. Steps two three and four are what this question has to do with. I'm the adventures type and have been considering several ways of getting myself to the corporate pilot seat that I want to fly from the rest of my life and after alot of thinking, debating, pondering, balancing I've found that I don't know exactly which would be the best method of pursuing this. Would it be wise of me to consider an Academy such as Delta/Comm Air or Embry (if they're still in the biz considering the damage to their planes and facilities) and getting my tickets from there, or alternatively, try to get my commercial, instrument, multi-engine licenses by simply FBOing it or going to where aviation work may be and building the time and hours as I can in one varying capacity or the other, bush flying or ground crewing. I'm 24 and already have a college degree so that's one thing I don't have to back burner for later and can pour myself academically at least into flying. What would you all suggest, or how did you get to where you are if flying for a living.

Any help to point me along the way would help.

KW

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
Re: $40 to $50 thousand dollar question
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 05:18:21 AM »
FBOs will take longer and could end up more expensive, but can lead to connections, a good thing if looking for corporate.

Some corporate flight departments love it if pilots also have an A&P since that means you can fix an aircraft "in the field" as well.

You'll still need to build time after the ratings.  Still think a regional  will be your best bet to build the hours.
"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline AirtransRecon

• Fledgling
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 08:45:32 AM »
I tend to sway to that line of thought. Work FBO while pushing through the Private then off to a school I go, along with a large loan to deal with later.

KW

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 10:49:19 AM »
I tend to sway to that line of thought. Work FBO while pushing through the Private then off to a school I go, along with a large loan to deal with later.

KW

If you're already well on your way with a private, this is a good idea (wouldn't want to have to start all over to meet the 141 regs... but if you aren't you might consider doing it all that way.

If you don't have one already, a 4 year degree comes in really handy.  Corporations will probobly prefer a degree, and many majors require one.  I know you are wanting to do corporate right now, but it's good to keep as many options open as possible IMO.   Of course, some smaller airlines may not see a lack of a degree as a negative because it just means it'll take you at least 5 years before you could leave to a major because you'd need to get a degree first.

Offline AirtransRecon

• Fledgling
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 01:38:15 PM »
Thankfully the four year degree has already been taken care of. I hold a Bachelor's in Sociology with a minor in political science. Corporate flight is the ultimate long term goal, I'd like to do a variety of flying in between, ferry work, maybe the CFI route for a few years or so, regional is something I'm certainly open to, not merely for the hours but for the experience that comes from hopping. From what I gather the most important thing is meeting people, getting connections and keeping up with them. Certainly an FBO gig to start would help that out.

KW

Offline AirtransRecon

• Fledgling
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 02:56:29 PM »
So does anyone have any info on good student loans available and where to get 'em?

KW

undatc

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 08:39:52 PM »
I do all mine thhrough my rich uncle  www.myrichuncle.com  Interest rates arent to bad i guess, my one loan is at like 8.6 on 20 years for 22k.  They are private loans, and send you a check you can put in your bank account.  I also am using Sallie Mae for a couple of loans.  Though I'm not sure either one of these will loan you money if youre not actually in a college.

Something you may consider.  I know you already have a bachalor degree.  However from the coperate pilots that come and talk to us, business's arent really looking for full time pilots.  Most of the guys that want to be that type of pilot at UND go for an Aviation Management degree.  Its actually degree out of hte business school, not the aerospace school.  You get all of your ratings, up to CF double I if you want, but you also get a business degree.  This makes you more attractive to a company in that, they can put you to use doing something.  If youre considering this, im sure your current degree will transfer many if not all of the credits making your time here very short.  And if you get your private on the outside, you wont have to take a full private course here, you'd take 105 or 112, which is only about 12 flights.  I know guys that come in with a private and in a year and a half they have all their ratings and are out.

In addition to that, becuase UND is so big, we have a lot of connections that smaller FBO's dont have.  Pennical, Mesaba, Horizion, America West, Sky West, and all kinds of other companes come to us to hire.  I know Pennical comes out every December, and picks up about 40-50 new first officers every year.  Horizion came out last April and hired 150 guys.  Something also I think that helps guys here is the life.  You as a pilot live aviation from the time you begin till you end.  You have to study for stage checks, you have to know your stuff.  All the professors here either were Airliner captains, stunt pilots, or controllers.  Severl have PhD in aerospace topics, and one guy, (probably the smartest guy ive ever met) has teo PhD's one in aerospace physics, and the other in aerospace engineering.  Geting your stuff out of a FBO, it may be easy for you to slack off, not study, scrape by.  You may also have a hard time finding someone that actually knows what they are doing.

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
  • Cogito sumere potum alterum.
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007, 06:48:15 AM »

5 yaers ago i culdnt eevn splel helecoptr polit, now i r wun.

Justas weel i dint wunt ta fli corprate.......

srroy, culdnt rsist...

G-man
Life may not be the party we hoped for---but while we're here--we might as well dance..........

fireflyr

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2007, 04:05:32 PM »
HMMM---
Just remembered I haven't seen my ex-wife's family in a while.  ::rambo::

Offline AirtransRecon

• Fledgling
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2007, 06:35:21 PM »
Having delved a little deeper I've decided against DCA. Lot's of pony show at that academy with an incredibly hefty price tag. Considering ATP now, seems like they have a top notch outfit at work, Lots of multi-engine time. This means I'll have to go all out and rack up 80 hours instead of just 40 for the PL before applying but considering the benefits, it doesn't seem like a bad idea.

KW

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2007, 06:56:40 PM »
More experience is never bad.

We use Pilot Finance to fund students.  Don't know if it would be available for a school like ATP, but it's worth a look.  www.pilotfinance.com
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2007, 10:43:41 PM »
We have a couple of guys here who went to Pan Am.   One who went to Embry, some others represented.   I went to MTSU as I believe I've said previously.

There are a lot of options out there.

Offline chuckar101

• Rooster
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2007, 06:47:10 PM »
ATP is a good choice.  I'm currently attending, doing the private program and start their career on the 15th.  So far I believe it's a top notch program and if you want to start flying and getting paid to do it, it's definately a very quick option.  One thing is that it is extremely intense, avition almost 24 hours a day.  And the whole loan thing, ATP ahs a link to Sallie Mae on their website.  That's where I got my loan and it was actually really easy to get.  Either way good luck on the choice I know its a tough one.
WOW I did that!

Offline AirtransRecon

• Fledgling
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2007, 02:20:06 AM »
Which ATP field are you operating out of, we might actually be pretty close to each other.

KW

Offline chuckar101

• Rooster
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2007, 08:10:00 PM »
I attend the Phoenix location.  It's a nice facility.  Have three buliding to study in.  The airport is an old airforce base so we have three huge runways.  And its an overall good environment to fly at, other then all the silver state whirly birds flying around ;D.  Where you looking at.
WOW I did that!