Author Topic: Unsating my stage check..  (Read 8818 times)

undatc

Unsating my stage check..
« on: December 27, 2006, 06:39:48 PM »
So as Gulfstream Driver can confirm, UND has these little things known as stage checks.  As you are going through your flight courses, they have these mini tests that you have to pass or you dont get to keep on flying, they are pass/fail.  Easy right? ::rofl::  So as im working on my private my first stage check comes up.  They consist of two parts, an oral and a practical.  Naturaly being an ATC major i know my regs and books work flt out.  The guy was impressed to say the least, and was optmistic to get the practical out of the way.  Usually you dont schedual your flight and oral in the same day, as that makes for a long stressful day.  But seeing that my oral went so good, and was fairly short, 2 hours, we decided to reserve a Warrior and head out to practive area Alpha.

Your first stage check is basicly take off, fly out to a practice area, do an emergency procedure (which for me was a power off landing, recover at 500ft agl).  From there you have to get back to the airport and land.  Easy right?  ::rofl::

So I get my assignment and walk to the airplane, this is my airplane, in theory the stage check pilot never touches the controls.  Take into consideration that I've only been in a plane about 10 times prioe to this, and solo'd once.  So I preflight it the plane and roll out to 17L, run through the runup and pre take off sequence.  No problem, taxi'd a bit fast, but eveyone gets yelled at for that.  So I take off, a little bumpy, and begin my climb out to 3500 and turn around North to find alpha. ::rofl::

I run through the manuvers I need, two stalls, and aerodynamics demo and a few other things.  But he still hasnt given my my emergency yet.  So we finish off and I start to head home.  Im calling up the GFK atis as he reaches over and pulls my throttle on me and proclaims, "Your engine is dead."  ::sick::  Ok crap what do I do, checklist!  Im at 2100msl and elevation is about 750ft there so I had a little room to work with. ::sick::  I run through my list and set up for my 73kts glide and begin circling looking for my landing spot.  Found it, a wide two lane road with shoulders in the middle of a field, perfect pick.  Im calling out my alt in 200ft incriments to make sure I dont mess up and but my 500ft recovery alt, and im saying to myself 500 feet over and over again in my head.

At thsi point my stage check pilot askes me, "what altitude are we supposed to recover at."

Me being in pilot mode and not wanting an intreruption snap out, "500 feet"

"Ok, and we're at?"

"about 800"

"ok my airplane"

"*&#%^!@(*#@!%"  (<-----Bad words I cant say here)

He went on to reassure me that it happens a lot and its nothign to worry about.  At 2500' he gave the aiplane back, and I took us back to GFK.

I went on to unsat my next stage check too.  Three times...  Amazingly, I passed my stage 31 on the first attempt and got my copper wings  ;D  Which I havent used since.

So I guess the moral is to know the elevation of where youre flying and be aware of it.   ::banghead::

fireflyr

Re: Unsating my stage check..
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006, 03:11:03 AM »
Never overlook checking that "other altimeter"...................   the  W-I-N-D-O-W !

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2006, 10:18:33 AM »
Doh!

Try try again!     
"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline happylanding

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 10:44:38 AM »
That makes me remember my exam.... ::sick:: ....

I had choosen a female examiner, since I had thought it would have been easier to stay "relaxed" during the flight than a male. what I ignored and nobody told me, was that she is one of the most demanding examiner.  ::unbelieveable:: and she doesn't say a world out of the "what must be said". In the middle of the exam, during our first debriefing, I had to convince her that buying her a coffee and a croissant, since she had no money on her and I was going to offer her, was not bribery.

two days before it I should have had a precheck with the chief instructor. As soon as I was doing the outside check, I saw that something rang a bell but I was unable to understand what it was,  and luckily it was still a precheck. the aircraft had a different sitting....Well, the front wheel had gone flat completely and the plane was just sitting on his nose.  ::unbelieveable:: the ride was cancelled, but in order to make me do the exam without moving it of a week, the gear was oil refilled in order to stay in place, so that I could go for the check, just before the 100 hrs maintenance.

Well, the day of the exam arrives. I start the briefing, the first part of the exam, with a meteo/nav debriefing, plus a lot of questions about flight an aircraft, technical questions aboout the engine and other things about W&B and so on. After everything I take off.  It does not make 30 seconds I'm airborne, that she cuts the engine for me to recover (that in lugano means go for the lake in front of you, even if it means a swim), nav flt, and a precautionary landing (just the pattern til almost the ground and then recovery), slow flight and IFR condition in it too. She makes me change the flight I've prepared, since "well, it's annoying...don't you think? everytime I have to check a student from your school I've to make the goddamn same route. please... planify something else. won't you?". then we head for the airport of Locarno, and perform a T/G, a G/A , a grass landing and and an engine off landing. I realize my first big mistake when she asks me before the first approach preparation which is my politics wth fuel, since I've not touched anything yet, and steer with a lame....I'm changing it before we land and use the second selector on the way back (stupid me stupid me stupid me  ::banghead:: ::banghead:: ::banghead:: it's miles away clear that I have forgotten it and did not worry to change it every 30 minutes as I had at first said I would have done). the notepad she has in front of her starts being written.

I head to the tarmac, dismount and - surprise! - the nose gear is almost flat again. At that point I believe the exam is failed, the examiner will surely have something to say about it, but she adds: "no worries, I was told about it, and tomorrow the plane enters into the 100 Hrs maintenance. it was clear it would not have "endured" the flight, but we will finish before it goes completely flat". On my head I start chanting victory, since I believe I will not have any flap 0 landing with the aircraft going flat, since I hate zero flap landings. I actually pray for the coffee, we have one, we debrief and have the briefing of the second part of the flight, with the airwork: stall recovery, spirales, 30/45/60 bank. Finally we head to the airport. I just have to land and it will be over. In my head I can see that it must have gone well, apart from minor things and an exercise I had not done before in life, otherwise said spin recovery, that she tought useful I should know "even if it's an exam, you can learn something, right? so, I do it once, we do once together, and then you do it...". Once I contact Lugano, I already feel relaxed. everything will go smoothly. But I feel freezing when she says "well, we still have flap zero landing to do, right? what about now?". In my head all my hopes go flat. how can I perform a zero flap landing? if I touch bad the front gear will go flat, I will touch the propeller and destroy the engine...I pray God as I never did before. Perform the approach, enter downwind, go for the base and final. the mantra in my head, among the check is an "our father...". I land. I imagine the front starting scratching the rwy, the aircraft steering on the left and going out, finishing the exam in the lamest way  ::eek:: with the application of the sentence I had added in the before flight briefing, not knowing if it was the case then "in case of a real emergency, your control...". On the contrary, the aicraft stays on the center of the RWY without problems and I go for the parking. She looks at me and says: "well, you should always land without flaps. it was the best landing you did". I head for the parking, switch everything off and dismount. She says "I will not let you wait to go to the school for the debriefing. just say, now, that it's was perfect. my congrats.".  ::bow:: ::bow:: ::bow:: ::bow:: ::bow:: Understandable then why, as soon as I received my temporary license, I was at home opening one bottle after the other of champagne, drinking by myself too!!! :) :)  ::rofl::
I give that landing a 9 . . . on the Richter scale.

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2006, 11:00:34 AM »
I sadly haven't had the pleasure of a check flight yet so I can't really comment, especially since I don't understand what the problem with the altitude was since the number was still over the limit as I understood it.

Happy: Brings truth to the T-Shirt I just saw at an online pilot shop (I was looking for a aviation keyring for the new car): A Woman's Place Is In The Cockpit. Way to go! Worst case scenario and you did it!  ::bow:: |:)\

Frank
« Last Edit: December 29, 2006, 11:02:35 AM by Frank N. O. »
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2006, 10:33:42 AM »
Ah that I didn't read, but in flightsimming then I like planes that has a nice little radar altimiter readout, it makes landings easier. At least that's the good thing about check rides, you can make mistakes and live and learn from them.

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2006, 05:58:43 PM »
Jim has it right -- that "other" altimeter known as the old human eye...  works pretty well!    ;)

Long long ago, (in a place far away), when I was instructing, if students had a hard time with fixating on instruments, or not understanding the relationship between attitude and power and airspeed (i.e., performance), then I would get them for their phase checks.  Out would come the old ragged bath towel (we pilots own lots of ragged things).  We'd do lots of takeoffs and landings with it covering the instrument panel.  It was always a huge help in getting comfortable with the airplane itself.   

Of course, it was always entertaining to watch their eyes grow to the size of saucers when I dug it out.  I mean -- they're thinking, "We're gonna do WHAT?"  Heh heh.  But -- it was a great tool.

We use the radio altimeter a lot on fires --  for an initial evaluation of the jump spot ground elevation, and then during low-level cargo work for a back-up on the drop altitudes.  But -- you know if the squirrels are waving at you from the treetops, you're getting close!!   ;D   ;D    ;D 
Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline AirtransRecon

• Fledgling
  • FL90...?!... Contact Houston Space Center
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2006, 02:18:47 AM »
I seem to have the exact opposite problem when I'm in the cockpit. I tend to fly by the seat and eyes and ignore the panel, a practice that has resulted in a few busted altitudes. Hmm, whenever I get to IFR training, that's going to be interesting.

KW

fireflyr

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2006, 03:14:56 AM »
I seem to have the exact opposite problem when I'm in the cockpit. I tend to fly by the seat and eyes and ignore the panel,a practice that has resulted in a few busted altitudes. Hmm, whenever I get to IFR training, that's going to be interesting.

KW
This is what we're talking about----learn to use the ultimate CRM, which is checking and cross checking with all available resouces.   These include what you're seeing (if VFR) and feeling (yes instrument pilots are allowed to feel) to correlate what you're reading on the instruments.  Use any of the 3 that are available and reliable to test the others---doen't sound simple but it really is, just immerse yourself in your flight. 8)

And thanks Mary--I thought I was the only lunatic instructor who covered the whole panel to break the tunnel vision habit. ::loony::

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2007, 12:36:03 AM »
Hey!!!

Always glad to be your fellow lunatic!!!!!!!    ;D    ;D     ;D
Don't make me come back there!!!!