Author Topic: Management  (Read 10152 times)

undatc

Management
« on: December 26, 2006, 11:39:49 AM »
Gotta love them.  Especially the guys at the  >:D FAA >:D.  If you havent heard, you should really look at what they are doing to NATCA and the controllers, how they are screwing us over ::sick::, and really making it unsafe for you as pilots, and the general population for flying.

fireflyr

Re: Management
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2006, 06:43:03 PM »
Gotta love them.  Especially the guys at the  >:D FAA >:D.  If you havent heard, you should really look at what they are doing to NATCA and the controllers, how they are screwing us over ::sick::, and really making it unsafe for you as pilots, and the general population for flying.

Care to 'splain' that to us folks who may not be in touch with what you're reading ???   Them guvmint folks have an agenda that's not known by everyone, which is scary ::eek::

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 01:06:31 AM »
Sorry to hear about this, I hope it works out for the best for the people who actually depend on this, meaning controllers, pilots and passengers specifically.
However since this is such an important issue for aviation then how come it's not in the aviation forum instead of here in the comic strip discussion?

On a similar note, I remember when I started my engineering degree, that had to be terminated due to a delayed depression and other problems relating to the death of my dad, then the business said that around the time I would've been a diploma engineer (3 1/2 year degree) there would be a massive need for engineers, however the last several years there have been up to 50% unemployment for new engineers, it was all a big lie/false information.

This however is not as much a problem of people being unemployed as it is a horrible risk of fatal accidents and more (I can't imagine a controller will feel good about falling asleep on the job and indirectly causing a crash either if it came to that). Humans have limits and in the modern day then the human factor isn't really seen depsite the indication of many people in power. I would help if I could, but I don't have a congresman sorry :(

Frank
« Last Edit: December 27, 2006, 01:11:15 AM by Frank N. O. »
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006, 01:12:20 AM »
Just ask a mod to move the thread, most forum admin tools have this function.

Btw, I added to my above post while you typed.

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 06:14:24 PM »
I don't think we absolutely have to move the thread. The strips are designed to spark discussions as well as trigger uncontrollable laughter !!

But undatc, check this older thread out:

http://www.chickenwingscomics.com/forum/index.php?topic=183.0

It's called "Controller Shortage" or something. Can this be the same topic?
We really needed a controller back then in April . . .
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007, 01:17:57 PM »
Tonight (well, last night now, I just havn't made it to bed yet),  we were departing Deadhorse (Prudhoe Bay) to return home to Fairbanks.   We wanted to get more direct to fairbanks and a different altitude.  15,000 ft to stay under a strong headwind in the flight levels.

Anyway, we ask center if we can have 15 for a final and more direct.  He comes back with "Frontier 10, you can go wherever you want!"   Now, tonight I was flying with our cheif pilot, a funny guy.  His response is "Frontier 10, in that case, we'd like to go to China."  Center, having a sense of humor comes back with "Frontier 10, cleared to China via Wake Island, maintain one five thousand... or you can proceed direct Fairbanks."

We're sitting there amused at the controller and glad he has a sense of humor when he comes back... "Frontier 10, my supervisor wasn't very amused at the last, I need to confirm you understand that you are NOT cleared to China, it was a joke.  Proceed direct Fairbanks at one five thousand."

Come on now, sounded like the poor controller had gotten a chewing out too.  No wonder it's so hard to get a response to jokes in responses with these guys with supervisors getting upset so easy.

He was probobly controlling at least half of the state and probobly had 5 aircraft talking to him.
"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline happylanding

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007, 02:51:04 PM »
"Frontier 10, my supervisor wasn't very amused at the last, I need to confirm you understand that you are NOT cleared to China, it was a joke.  Proceed direct Fairbanks at one five thousand."

Come on now, sounded like the poor controller had gotten a chewing out too.  No wonder it's so hard to get a response to jokes in responses with these guys with supervisors getting upset so easy.

He was probobly controlling at least half of the state and probobly had 5 aircraft talking to him.

Oh that's a shame! it's not usual to find somebody who is willing to use his sense of humour in towers :(
I give that landing a 9 . . . on the Richter scale.

fireflyr

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007, 04:10:07 PM »
GOOD GRIEF----That's funny! ;D
Too bad we live in such a tight ass litigious society that some guy in ATC gets chewed out for having a sense of humor ::banghead::

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2007, 04:16:30 PM »
I try to tell my students to sound like they have a personality on the radio.  It makes the controllers act more human.   ;)
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty

fireflyr

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2007, 03:53:21 PM »
Very true.  I talk with a lot of controllers in my training.  And a simple, "Good morning grand forks tower, this is sioux fifty eight...." goes a long way.
ABSOLUTELY TRUE---If you are competent, succinct, and pleasant, controllers will usually respond in kind.   I say "usually" because, like pilots, they have good days ::wave:: and bad days too  ::complaining:

Offline digits

• Fledgling
  • Dare to fly the impossible
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2007, 04:06:04 PM »
Very true.  I talk with a lot of controllers in my training.  And a simple, "Good morning grand forks tower, this is sioux fifty eight...." goes a long way.
ABSOLUTELY TRUE---If you are competent, succinct, and pleasant, controllers will usually respond in kind. I say "usually" because, like pilots, they have good days ::wave:: and bad days too ::complaining:

i find it very funny you say this. when i was studying for my theoreticaly ppl exam, in one of the books it said: "avoid greetings and thank you's etc as much as possible and stick to standard phrasology" (well, it said it in dutch, so my transaltion is a little off, but you get the idea;) )
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. - Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2007, 04:13:36 PM »
This might vary a big depending on where and when you fly. If it's a busy place then it's probably best for the ATC if you make your transmissions short and concise. Rod Machado had some suggestions on this too, for instance if you were flying and wanted to know if there was bad weather up ahead you could ask if there were any planes diverted due to weather, this would only require a short yes or no answer from the ATC instead of having him/her tell what the weather is. Quite a good idea actually, but it's a team sport flying, pilots and controllers alike have to be flexible and understand each other's situation, then we can be as efficient as humanly possible (at least that's my take on it and I think it's good until proven otherwise).

And btw Jim is right, we all have good and bad days and a bad response might be due to a bad day and not because the person him/herself is bad so a cool, mild and understanding response will go a long away, that's at least my personal experience, both for myself and others and if you got a bad day then it's helpful and nice when other people still act relaxed and friendly instead of responding sourly right back at you :)

Frank
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 04:16:53 PM by Frank N. O. »
— Leonardo da Vinci

fireflyr

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2007, 04:39:50 PM »
ABSOLUTELY TRUE---If you are competent, succinct, and pleasant, controllers will usually respond in kind. I say "usually" because, like pilots, they have good days ::wave:: and bad days too ::complaining:

i find it very funny you say this. when i was studying for my theoreticaly ppl exam, in one of the books it said: "avoid greetings and thank you's etc as much as possible and stick to standard phrasology" (well, it said it in dutch, so my transaltion is a little off, but you get the idea;) )
Depends on variables such as how busy is the frequency?---remember, competent and succinct come first and pleasant is a manner of vocal delivery, not an express word or group of words.

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2007, 09:37:33 AM »
Hey, UNDATC!

This might be a stupid question, but:
Is there a difference in training between a controller headed for big TRACONS versus becoming a tower or approach controller?
Do you have to decide before you start training which you want to be?
Or do you learn it all in school and then decide later or just go where the job is ??
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2007, 05:11:19 PM »
I've had very nice conversations with controllers many a time.  If you ever go into Fargo after 9 pm, you'd probably be doing the controller there a favor by talking and keeping him/her awake.

Oh, wait.  The FAA, in their infinite wisdom, closed the approach control at Fargo at night.  It's now handled by Minneapolis Center, which is 300 miles away.   ::banghead:: ::banghead:: ::banghead:: ::banghead:: ::banghead:: ::banghead:: ::banghead:: ::banghead:: ::banghead::
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty