Author Topic: Management  (Read 10157 times)

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
Re: Management
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2007, 10:40:55 AM »
woah!

thanks for the info! I appreciate it.
good to have a guy working "for the dark side" in here!  ;D
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

fireflyr

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2007, 02:49:34 PM »
THANKS--appreciate the insight on the other end of the radio |:)\

Tell me, when the FA&A does a 15 year background check on a 21 year old----are they allowed to question your kindergarten teacher about how well  you socialized with others at naptime  ::sleep:: ::whistle::

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2007, 04:12:07 PM »
Wow, that's a looooong time to learn to be a controller, that must really take some dedication  |:)\

Frank

P.S. Why isn't this in the Aviation forum? I thought this forum was only for the comic strip but I can't see what strip it could be linked to, but this thread contains very valuable information so it should be in a visible place.
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

fireflyr

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2007, 04:19:10 PM »
Wow, that's a looooong time to learn to be a controller, that must really take some dedication  |:)\

Frank

P.S. Why isn't this in the Aviation forum? I thought this forum was only for the comic strip but I can't see what strip it could be linked to, but this thread contains very valuable information so it should be in a visible place.

We do wander through the threads don't we? ::type::
Chuck is the perfect example of of a short attention span that is common to many pilo........WOW, look at that, what a prety sunrise :o
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 04:25:49 PM by fireflyr »

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2007, 04:33:29 PM »

Frank

We do wander through the threads don't we? ::type::
Chuck is the perfect example of of a short attention span that is common to many pilo........WOW, look at that, what a prety sunrise :o
Lol that's true, but I just wanted to make sure someone didn't overlook this good info by thinking it was just for a CW comic strip, especially since it's quite important to aviation in general.

Frank
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 04:35:45 PM by Frank N. O. »
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline chuckar101

• Rooster
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2007, 07:44:02 PM »
Again thanks for the info and you guys definately are a different breed.  i couldnt stand waiting that long to get a real job and then the patience for the actual training ::unbelieveable::.  Good luck and hopefuly we'll hear you over the radio soon.
WOW I did that!

Offline chuckar101

• Rooster
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2007, 08:25:50 PM »
So the "real" job for a pilot was the wrong wording, either way good luck. 
WOW I did that!

fireflyr

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2007, 09:38:02 PM »
Again thanks for the info and you guys definately are a different breed.  i couldnt stand waiting that long to get a real job and then the patience for the actual training ::unbelieveable::.  Good luck and hopefuly we'll hear you over the radio soon.

haha, pilots wait a lot longer to get a 'real job' lol. 

sorry couldnt resist.

another quote i liked i heard last night, was "there are over 350,000 registered pilots in the US, while only 14,000 controllers, not everyone can do what we do."
And there needs to be more pilots---haven't heard of any controller getting his tower vectored into a mountain ::rambo::

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2007, 01:30:22 AM »
Very true, Jim.

:'(

I can count almost 30 pilots I know (okay, knew) who are no longer with us, and just can't say the same about other professions.   

Hmmmm.....  what's WRONG with this picture anyway.... 
                                  where are those classified ads again?!?
Don't make me come back there!!!!

fireflyr

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2007, 05:32:21 AM »

That's called stress--you guys do it for the money  (like being a prostitude)

Pilots on the other hand, don't have that much stress--fact is a lot of us do it for recreation too.
What that means is that we do it because we LOVE it    (like being a low class whore)

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2007, 06:32:53 AM »

And yea, we dont generally fall out of our towers, but considering controllers have the highest rate of alcaholism, suicide, depression, heart attacks, etc ( i could go on) we live a pretty dangerous life.

I'd bet living in UTAH results in much higher rates of all those BAD, BAD things you mentioned.  [Been there, done that.  Trust me.]   >:D

And, I have to mention this ATC bit, and I have heard this only ONCE in my entire life, the night we were coming into BOI in the middle of the night, actually I guess the wee morning.  The frequency was quiet at night, and we would get bored, and see how far out we could hit BOI approach.  At the time, they were in the tower building, too.  It was just a little game we played.  The controllers here are great, and one especially GOOD night, we called about 100 nm out and HIT them.  I can't recall but it was over 100 miles, and of course we were plenty high.  We were all giggling, both of us pilots, and the techs in back (we were mapping forest fires at night).

Well, right in the middle of thinking we were pretty darned witty, and our tiny little brains were puffing right up, the approach guy called us back and said "Hey, King Air so-and-so, could you guys do me a big favor?"

Of course, we say YES.  So he smoothly adds, "Could you just watch the frequency for me?  I gotta step outside."

Well, gang, I know this is falling into that "you had to be there" category, but I SWEAR, I will never forget that -- we all gaped at each other in the dimly lit cabin, and we all had the exact same mental picture:  this guy stepping out of the tower (literally), and we laughed uncontrollably all the way to the airport.

I'm sure it had something to do with it being the end of a 13-hour shift, and being rummy, and milling around in the dark all night, but -- we could NOT stop laughing.  And, I mean that deep laughing where you can't even SEE.  We all had tears running down our faces.

The guy called us back after we'd gone about 50 miles, and chirped "Heyyy!  I'm back!!  Anybody call??"  which just set off another wave of laughter!!

I never knew exactly who it was, but I can recall that moment just as if it happened yesterday.  I'm amazed we managed to get the gear down and find the runway.  He was a HOOT.    ::bow::

My hat is off to you guys!   |:)\

Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2007, 02:48:15 PM »
Now that's some of the things I'd love to experience in person!  |:)\ ::bow:: ::rofl::

Frank
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2007, 11:05:24 PM »
You know keep up those great real-life stories and there's no way I'll give up on finding a way to come over and experience the wonderful life of north-american aviation in person  |:)\ |:)\

Frank
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2007, 04:31:57 AM »

That's called stress--you guys do it for the money  (like being a prostitude)

Pilots on the other hand, don't have that much stress--fact is a lot of us do it for recreation too.
What that means is that we do it because we LOVE it    (like being a low class whore)

doing it for free and recreation makes you a slut, doesn't it?!   ::whistle::
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.