Author Topic: A RUSH of Extreme Highlights  (Read 14373 times)

Offline happylanding

• Alpha Rooster
Re: A RUSH of Extreme Highlights
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2006, 08:17:18 PM »
Haha! Fireflyr, I ignore if it's leveling the field. it could well be that I'm part of the small percentuale of women who is completely unable to use that kind of machines. and who never had a manicure, to tell one!  ::rofl::

About the trip....it's a quite long history, but...a professor at the university used to organize a trip to Nepal and India every year, in order to study the economy of the places, and how to improve it. I aggregated. So, there was: the prof (a piece of.......with whom I had several heated discussions and before the end I sent him to hell  ::rambo:: ::rambo:: ::rambo::), two of his assistants, one prof who teaches in the US (who had nothing to do with the expedition but was invited) and 4 students, me comprised.   the expedition was a month long, mainly during the month of December. I'm used to say it's Nepal, but to tell the truth we spent just some days in nepal, and the remaining in India (Sikkim). We left Gangtok, a "city" there, and headed from there for trekking in the "unaccessible" zones of the mountains, in what I believe is the region of the Kanchenjunga. To give you the names of the places we visited (when a name exists)  during the trekking is quite difficult: I remember just some: Dzongri (one of the tops we visited) and Tshoka on the road to there. (For the others......I wrote during those days a sort of diary, but I left it to my former boyfriend. He was writing one during my absence, and I was doing the same, in order to "cover" the time during which we were to be apart. to tell the whole truth, the diary also was a sort of "recovery" idea, since when I decided to go there, I did not discuss about it, just told the professor yes, and did not take neither a minute to discuss about it with my at the time man, but put him in front of the decision, already taken, that our vacations had to be cancelled, since I would not be there, but away without him…and the relation was quite strained, because of my decision, if you see.  >:D >:D We almost split at the airport, before I was to leave….Well, I’m not easy to live with!).
Back on track.
The max altitude we reached was around 5500 meters, just before you have to start using oxygen. Now, I will add something else. I’ve no idea why I decided to go, apart from the fact I badly wanted to see if what everybody was just too prone to call a spoiled girl, me, was able to live without technology, and well, without any minimum comfort (and yes, I will add I had never gone camping before…. ::rofl::). It was something I really hated, that label I was always being put on, and still do. Everything I achieved was normal if not due, everything I failed in was because I was spoiled and did not apply as the others do. And I have to add a second thing: I love to go running, I love to go walking, but I’ve always hated walking in the mountains, and one of the reasons is that I badly suffer from vertigo. I went anyhow.  :o
How a typical day was: get up when the sun is coming out. Dress, wrap the schlafsack, prepare the backpack. Go to the bushes, relieve, go to the river, somehow wash the face and teeth, get a cup of tea and maybe some pancakes, and start walking. The caravane was formed that way. I was to walk with the pathfinder, together with the US prof., and another female student. Even before the pathfinder, the sherpas, who run. Gosh, they run! We usually walked around 15 / 25 km per day. We usually had a short break in the middle of the road, where the sherpas prepared a tea and sometimes boiled eggs and pancake. Until a certain altitude, around 3000 a dog was following me, and I used to give him my egg, something I hate, and eat some energy bar instead! I still remember him: white, with black spot, long flat ears and an incredible intelligence. I called him Free. Well, it was also full of fleas and badly needed a shower, but I wanted to bring it home. I cried when I left him :( and one night, during which the weather was incredibly cold, I put him in the room of the camp I was dividing with the only other female of the expedition, who started yelling he was full of fleas and god knows what else!!! ::rofl::)  All the others were on the back, with the sweepers. The ones that closed the caravan and sometimes we had among one or two km of distance, and some others they just arrived some minutes later. I used to spend the hours walking listening to the music (I had an Ipod and a battery adaptor, with a kg of batteries in the backpack!!), talking with the other two with me, and dreaming about the 24th of December, and my beloved pilot at home that I missed like oxygen under water ::angel::. When we used to arrive to the “camps” we somehow washed in the rivers, before the sun going down, and the sherpas prepared to eat. It was always the same damn thing: rice, vegetables and a soup that’s called dahl. At that time I usually started writing the diary (And I used to steal candles before they were put on the “table” in order to be able to keep writing later in the night!  >:D Without using the torch that was not so resistant to cold! and no,there was no electricity). Since we were inside a naturalistic reserve, the main part of the time, it was not allowed to make any fire, so when the night fell, it was freezing cold.  ::eek:: ::unbelieveable:: And well, you hate to have to get up in the middle of the night to go out to pee. The contact with the population was almost non existant, either for the places we were, or because everything was anyhow channelled by the sherpas. Some evenings, by the way, we tried what is the “beer” of the place, a kind of hot drink, alcoholic, highly alcoholic, specially since you drink it with the cane, called tongba. And the real last evening of expedition, after I could use a whole bucket of hot water (Ohhhhhh GOD!) , with which I was also able to wash my hair  8) 8), I got badly drunk, probably because of the tiredness…. ::drinking:: ::drinking:: Well, those are the most vivid memories. But you probably will want to know a lot else. In that case….just shot!  I will answer everything I can!

AND IN THE MEANTIME, SINCE THE 2006 IS ALMOST OVER (LUCKILY!!!!) MY BEST WISHES TO YOU ALL, FOR A YEAR THAT WILL GIVE YOU SERENITY, AND UNFORGETTABLE BEAUTIFUL AND MEMORABLE MOMENTS, FULLFILLING ALL YOUR DREAMS!

PS. And....G-man, the hint is really good, but no man want a yeti waiting for him, right? :) ;)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 08:50:28 PM by happylanding »
I give that landing a 9 . . . on the Richter scale.

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
  • Cogito sumere potum alterum.
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2007, 05:08:46 AM »
PS. And....G-man, the hint is really good, but no man want a yeti waiting for him, right? 

Well yeah, you're right, I guess after a month you'd be pretty hairy.  ::unbelieveable:: I'll give you that one......
Life may not be the party we hoped for---but while we're here--we might as well dance..........

fireflyr

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2007, 05:48:13 AM »
PS. And....G-man, the hint is really good, but no man want a yeti waiting for him, right? 

Well yeah, you're right, I guess after a month you'd be pretty hairy.  ::unbelieveable:: I'll give you that one......
In cold climates, a hairy women will keep the bed cozy warm---I don't let Charmaine shave her back in the winter for that very reason :P

If anyone tries to tell her I said that I'll simply deny it--she knows I never lie ::)

Offline Panzerrat

• Cockerel
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2007, 06:05:09 AM »
And I quote:
Brock Sampson: "I wish you'd have told me before I shaved him that Sasquatch was a... *shudder* ...dude."

Steve Carter: "Come on, Sasquatch doesn't have anything you haven't seen before."

Brock Sampson: "Sasquatch IS something I haven't seen before!"

From a Venture Brothers cartoon.  (A total send up od Johnny Quest.)
"You call this bad? I'll tell you what bad is....Bad is passing test depth at 80 feet per second with a thirty degree down bubble. Compared to that, this is a walk in the park.”

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2007, 09:16:33 AM »

In cold climates, a hairy women will keep the bed cozy warm---I don't let Charmaine shave her back in the winter for that very reason :P

If anyone tries to tell her I said that I'll simply deny it--she knows I never lie ::)
You sound awfully sure she doesn't read this forum, but then again if she said that quote in your signature then she might stay away, but still it's a risk.

But also remember there are a lot of people called furries, usually they're fans of anthro-something humanoid animals, either reading/watching comics/animated movies or cosplaying as them, especially catgirls. Think about if catgirls etc. existed, how long would a woman need in a shower if she had fur all over ::rofl::
There are several great webcomics out there with humanoid sentient animals out there, but then again, animals have even bigger claws than human women so it raises the stakes if you get her mad :D

This was just me making some innocent non-offensive jokes. I'm not drunk, I don't even drink coffeine, I am however still in the process of waking up after what sounded like WWIII out here on a supposedly peaceful tiny island with less than 1000 people.

And btw, about beards, I haven't shaved in over a month, why? Because I got big pimples that would hurt like death and taxes if I cut them. Isn't my life great? 35-40% of my hair according to my mom has now gone from dark brown to grey/white, but I still got pimples  ::rofl:: Oh well, at my age then my dad, who I look (and act) like in all other areas, was well underway going bald but I'm not, except for what I think is called a widow's peak but I've had that forever.

Frank
« Last Edit: January 01, 2007, 09:20:36 AM by Frank N. O. »
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline happylanding

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2007, 09:49:50 AM »

And btw, about beards, I haven't shaved in over a month, why? Because I got big pimples that would hurt like death and taxes if I cut them. Isn't my life great? 35-40% of my hair according to my mom has now gone from dark brown to grey/white, but I still got pimples  ::rofl:: Oh well, at my age then my dad, who I look (and act) like in all other areas, was well underway going bald but I'm not, except for what I think is called a widow's peak but I've had that forever.

Frank

Pimples are quite normal, almost at any age, if you're under stress. I did not suffer from acne when I was growing up and I lately had any sort of problem related to the skin. if you're looking for a fast way to make them disappear, wash with cold water and apply a small amount of menthol thootpaste on the spots. otherwise, go for the plant of hazel, and take the leafs and make them boil in water, using the extract as a tonic. last chance, teatree oil! good luck!

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2007, 09:56:35 AM »
Stress you say, I got tons of that, I also think it might be why my hair is turning grey, I read about energy in the folicles (I think that's the name for where the hair grows out) and if that energy is drained then your natural haircolour is gone forever. Thanks for the advice on the pimples, I'll see if I can get them to work, but I'm also planning on trying again to get something started in my life, possibly aviation, after we get the new car purchase done, but that's also hard since we started thinking that an expensive car will make it impossibel to save up money for several years.

Anyway, thanks for the advice and the story and hope you had a great and safe new year. We still have to check our old car for damage from falling rockets.
Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline happylanding

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2007, 01:02:06 PM »
Stress you say, I got tons of that, I also think it might be why my hair is turning grey, I read about energy in the folicles (I think that's the name for where the hair grows out) and if that energy is drained then your natural haircolour is gone forever. Thanks for the advice on the pimples, I'll see if I can get them to work, but I'm also planning on trying again to get something started in my life, possibly aviation, after we get the new car purchase done, but that's also hard since we started thinking that an expensive car will make it impossibel to save up money for several years.

Anyway, thanks for the advice and the story and hope you had a great and safe new year. We still have to check our old car for damage from falling rockets.
Frank

Stress is a bad beast. try to relax, anyhow. The advices looks quite strange, but they are old remedies, and always works better than anything new in circulation.
Hope you had a great beginning too, and the car was not damaged.

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2008, 05:21:03 PM »
Life may not be the party we hoped for---but while we're here--we might as well dance..........

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2008, 01:02:28 AM »
Hmm...  hmm..  decisions, decisions.....    ::thinking::

::thinking::

I think I'm gonna have to go with the Lightning Bolt...    ::whistle::

::whistle::

:D
Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2008, 01:50:34 AM »
I think I'm gonna have to go with the Lightning Bolt...    ::whistle::

Now I had you pegged for the "little devil"..  ::whistle:: ::whistle::

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2008, 02:29:25 AM »
Ah, well, I DID think about that...  but, you know....   ::thinking::

Lightning = Fires = Staying Alive = Fire Season = Cold Beers = Yet Another Year of Psychiatric Counseling...   ::loony::

Aw, you didn't want to hear the reasoning, I guess...   ;)

Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2008, 04:12:56 AM »
Lightning = Fires = Staying Alive = Fire Season = Cold Beers = Yet Another Year of Psychiatric Counseling...   ::loony::

Well I can do the psychiatric counselling--I am on week 9 now of Psychology 101.. Its an online class--I will share a portion of my latest homework that I just posted:

"No disrespect intended to any of the professionals out there, but the phrase “there’s one born every minute comes to mind”. I am currently in California and hence had to do an Internet search for Brevard county therapy resources, and it was an eye opener. I guess my mind is sicker than I ever thought it was---but for only 3 or 4 sessions a week, at who knows how much money, I can be cured!!! . I really did not think that anyone really does psychoanalysis; I figured it had all died with Freud himself. I guess I am just an extremely cynical person when it comes to some of the results that are claimed. I do however agree that therapy can be beneficial for some people."

Offline G-man

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2009, 03:56:15 AM »
So---for those that remember---I did send my story to Betty Beauty. It seems they took my words seriously and created a product for "Bob"...

Created for women--Loved by men...

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2009, 04:11:47 AM »
Gordy Gordy Gordy... Lets face it:  You are an adrenaline Junkie!   ::whistle:: ::whistle:: ::whistle::

Nuttin' wrong with that in my book so long as you admit it.

RC
"Me 'n Earl was haulin' chickens / On a flatbed outta Wiggins..."

Wolf Creek Pass, by CW McCall