Author Topic: "Did you pack your own luggage?" or My own airport security test.  (Read 14233 times)

Offline Stef

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
    • Chicken Wings
Re: "Did you pack your own luggage?" or My own airport security test.
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2006, 07:18:41 PM »
The only problem for me, is passing the metal detector....well...because my boots look like this (http://www.aipi.ee/5) and my leather jacket has iron and so does my denim vest i carry on the leather jacket...my beltbuckle says Harley Davidson Motors (lot of metal..)

So whenever i want to board, i have to take off EVERYTHING :(

Hm, didn't you just say in a post in another thread that you "NEVER ever ever" have taken apublic airplane before?!  ??? ???

Offline FlyingBlind

• Cockerel
  • What goes up, must come down
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2006, 12:49:44 AM »
And i may (te-heee  :-[) flewn once to France with public aircraft....i swear to god it was an accident

Offline ZAIZAI

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2006, 07:31:04 PM »
Hey, Flying Blind! Can you recomend any dropzones in the Bristol area?
...Lurker...
I don't need an engine and a prop for my Skyarrow anymore...but I do need a testpilot for it. Chuck wanna step up?...on second thought, perhaps not.

Offline piet03

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2006, 08:00:31 PM »
I play the bagpipes . You should see their faces when 4 long pipes show up on the screen.

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2006, 09:40:22 PM »
Piet, I'm really biting my lip not to make references between bagpipe music and terrorism (it would only be a joke of course and actually I think it can be beautiful, but only on tv since my ears are overly sound-sensitive, but actually I can't handle any loud instrument so nothing personal). Judging from your email are you from somewhere on the british isles?

Frank

P.S. I seriously hope you haven't had a situation like Chuck and Julio because of the pipes though.
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2006, 10:45:58 PM »
P.S. I seriously hope you haven't had a situation like Chuck and Julio because of the pipes though.

Haha!

Security thought the LED light in my night flashlight (cheap with a red lens) looked like an arcing device (like it could be a detonator), so they went through the pocket and got it out.  It was really obvious that's what they'd been looking at to them.   So no harm.  Was somewhat amusing becuase I was in uniform...  ;)
"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
  • It's not an old plane, it's a classic!
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2006, 04:33:13 PM »
Pre 9/11 I was heading back to Alaska after visting the family in the lesser 48 and had one of my Christmas gifts in my carry on.  That poor little Phillipino gal at the check gate in Frisco just could not figure out what that dial caliper was.  ;)  She seemed to think it was some sort of axe.   ::)

Actually I'm always nervous about security checks, since most of my carry-ons have been used for camping, fishing or hunting at some point.  I'm always worried I missed a spare cartrige in there somewhere, or theres gun powder residue clinging to something.   :-[

Phil

Offline cj5_pilot

• Rooster
  • "Fly Fast, Fly Low, Turn Left"
    • Alaskan Aviators
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2006, 04:41:38 PM »
Naw Tundra, you just look like a terrorist.  How many times you been pulled out of line for a "random check" now?  I think your theory about them flagging pilots is pretty realistic.
The average pilot, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring. These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

Offline BrianGMFS

• Rooster
  • My other car is a Firefly
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2006, 02:35:38 AM »
A guy I know from another forum was flying commercially a couple of years ago and was pulled aside for additional screening... Thing was, Todd's the Ohio Army Guards Flight Surgeon and he was in his full US army uniform with medical insignia and wings.... Go figure

Brian

-

"Take my love, take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me."

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2006, 04:37:02 AM »
Guys, it's not that simple...   

Offline cj5_pilot

• Rooster
  • "Fly Fast, Fly Low, Turn Left"
    • Alaskan Aviators
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2006, 03:30:21 PM »
I don't know Baradium, I don't have to go through any security checks to get on Frontier in Anchorage or Fairbanks.  'Course where would you hijack a Frontier flight TO? 

Terrorist:  "I'm hijacking this plane, take me to Fort Yukon!"
Pilot:  "Yeah, whatever were going to Kotezbue and that's all there is to it.  No sit down and shut up or I'll go to Bethel instead."

;D

Sorry, couldn't resist! (apologies to residents of Kotezbue and Bethel....though Kotzebue's runway still bothers me...)
The average pilot, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring. These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
  • It's not an old plane, it's a classic!
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2006, 09:09:37 PM »
How many times you been pulled out of line for a "random check" now?  I think your theory about them flagging pilots is pretty realistic.

Every time I've gone out of state.   >:(  A discussion at one of our EAA meetings a year after 9/11 revealed that every pilot there had experienced the same thing.  Including the women.  The only thing we all had in common was a pilot certificate and living in Alaska.  One person suggested it was because of my beard, but I was shaven last time I went to Reno, and they not only pulled me out of line to run the wand over me, the opened my checked baggage - before it got to the x-ray, and wiped it down for explosives residue!  (I was pretty nervous about that considering how many times I've tossed a handfull of empty pistol cartriges in one of the pockets)

On the other hand, I've actually got through security quicker each time too.  Since they pulled me from the back of the line.   8)

Phil

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2006, 01:52:29 AM »
I don't know Baradium, I don't have to go through any security checks to get on Frontier in Anchorage or Fairbanks.  'Course where would you hijack a Frontier flight TO? 

Terrorist:  "I'm hijacking this plane, take me to Fort Yukon!"
Pilot:  "Yeah, whatever were going to Kotezbue and that's all there is to it.  No sit down and shut up or I'll go to Bethel instead."

I was talking about the random security screening.  ;) 

We don't have TSA, and we aren't required to.  An airline operating the same size aircraft in the lower 48 wouldn't have to either.  There are some companies in the midwest using them, they may not have TSA either.

;D

Sorry, couldn't resist! (apologies to residents of Kotezbue and Bethel....though Kotzebue's runway still bothers me...)

I went Nome-Kotz-Point Hope-Kotz-Point Hope-Fairbanks today in the freighter...  8.1 hours flying.

And that runway is interesting.  Surrounded on 3 sides by water yet you are coming in over a bluff as well.   I don't know how long since you've been in there but Alaska Airlines made them cut down the  bluff some, they were worried that their planes were getting too close to it.

Anyway, you seem to have quite a rosy picture on how you'd be treated in your scenario.  ;)

Offline BrianGMFS

• Rooster
  • My other car is a Firefly
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2006, 02:17:31 AM »
We don't have TSA, and we aren't required to.  An airline operating the same size aircraft in the lower 48 wouldn't have to either.  There are some companies in the midwest using them, they may not have TSA either.

At Rutland VT (KRUT) there is a TSA post in the terminal thats staffed with one screener. Comutair flies in there twice a day with Beech 1900D's. Same thing in Platsburgh NY (KPLB) 3 flights a day with 1900's and one screener. I think they  screen there is because the passengers on comutair fly to a "major" airline airport from there (Rutland to Laguardia and Platsburgh to Boston) so the passengers on leaving the Comutair flight are already in the secured area past screening to make their conecting flight. Also the airport where I work is pretty vigilant about security/ especialy since there are direct flights from Burlington to both Washington National (Emb 170) and JFK (A-320/ 737)

Brian

-

"Take my love, take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me."