Author Topic: Gifted Pilot  (Read 5734 times)

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
Gifted Pilot
« on: December 09, 2006, 08:24:43 PM »
Quite a good one, some strips may not cause the same comotion but they've all still been funny and nice to read/see  |:)\
And might I wager that the name listed is actually a real person given Stef's real life connection with Japan, and btw, has your friend seen the character with his name yet, and what does he think?

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Stef

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
    • Chicken Wings
Re: Gifted Pilot
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006, 12:49:50 PM »
Hehe, well, I'm happy you mention it!! It's a bit of an easter egg really. ;D So far we have only one documented case of a person who found this joke (a guy who lives in Japan and wrote us an email), so I'm actually kinda glad to share this with the "non Japanese speaking masses".

"Hyaku en" means "hundred yen", which is about one dollar in worth. There are thousands of "Hyaku En Shops" all over Japan, and I also bought all of my tableware while I was living there.  ;D

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 03:07:44 AM »
Hahaha, what the americans call Dollar-stores, and we got such a chain too, but it's named similar to 10'er in danish since it takes almost 6 DKK per USD. I got a awesome 63 split-window Corvette 350 Fuel Injection model there, fantastic value but that was also a rare struck of luck since it was very accurate.

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline spacer

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006, 12:04:17 AM »
Cool! I was a gifted mechanic!
When I moved off the line into the shop, one of the mechs for a base customer gave me his old Blue Point safety wire pliers.
They walked off not long ago and I had to suck it up and buy a new pair. They just aren't the same, though...

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2006, 04:47:25 AM »
hmmmm..... (*thinking smiley*)

how about a Christmas Card or something maybe....

...something that says:  ...consider yourself "gifted"

Not bad, huh?!
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2006, 05:07:21 AM »
hmmmm..... (*thinking smiley*)

how about a Christmas Card or something maybe....

...something that says:  ...consider yourself "gifted"

Not bad, huh?!
Yes that would be a great one! It could also work for a birthday card btw  |:)\

Frank
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2006, 08:24:04 AM »
Speaking of mechanic's tools...

An old mechanic (worked for Eastern among others to give you an idea) gave me a tool box and it had some aviation tools in them.   There are tools that I have now for airplanes that I havn't been able to get any A&Ps to identify (I suspect that some of them are specialty tools for radial engines and possibly old radial airliners).

To give you an idea of the tools' age,  there is at least one Snap-On piece labled "not guar" for not guaranteed... they stamped "not guar" on the tools they produced during WWII for the war effort.  There are other tools possibly older than that.  This guy was an A&P for a very long time...

Need to stop by and see him again next time I'm in Georgia.  He's a neat guy, from Holland originally.

Anyway,  some of these tools look like a socket extension, and at the end there is a C shaped piece.   Think of a small cylinder shape with an open side.  Anyone have any idea what it could be?

He didn't give me any safety wire pliers, or I'd offer them to you.  Most all of the tools are either generic enough that I can use them or obscure enough that no one can.   Now that I think about it, I wonder if Everts' mechanics might know (since they run DC-6s).   Too bad all the Tools are still in GA.  ;)   
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 08:29:36 AM by Baradium »
"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
  • It's not an old plane, it's a classic!
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2006, 06:39:12 PM »
Anyway,  some of these tools look like a socket extension, and at the end there is a C shaped piece.   Think of a small cylinder shape with an open side.  Anyone have any idea what it could be?

Sounds like a hose fitting socket, or for you auto mechanics an O2 sensor socket.  Anyway, they're designed to remove something with a hose or wire coming out the center of the nut.  Generally for applications that require more torque than can be applied with an open end wrench without rounding it off.  Or where you need the length to reach it.

Phil

fireflyr

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2006, 08:11:02 PM »
AAANND HEEERE IS  TUNDRA (Tim the tool man) FLIER with the right answer for the "name that obscure tool" game.

We should make you the official tool guy for the site. |:)\

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2006, 12:22:18 PM »

Sounds like a hose fitting socket, or for you auto mechanics an O2 sensor socket.  Anyway, they're designed to remove something with a hose or wire coming out the center of the nut.  Generally for applications that require more torque than can be applied with an open end wrench without rounding it off.  Or where you need the length to reach it.

Phil

But those sockets will generally have a hex style to them.   These things are completely *round* on the inside!    Think of it like this.  I took a cap off of a bottle of coke  (meaning, Coca-Cola, Pepsi, or whatever else you want, because for a Georgian, anything that is carbonated is "coke").   Take the cap, cut a slot in the side of it, that's what the ends of these sockets look like (except with no threads inside.  These tools don't have any way to turn a hex head. 

I might ship some of these things up here if you'll agree to get together to look at them some time.   

Offline cj5_pilot

• Rooster
  • "Fly Fast, Fly Low, Turn Left"
    • Alaskan Aviators
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2006, 03:41:55 AM »
AAANND HEEERE IS  TUNDRA (Tim the tool man) FLIER with the right answer for the "name that obscure tool" game.

Yeah, but ask if he actually OWNs one  ;)  And ask him why he keeps buying DC vehicles when they cost twice as much to work on as FOMOCO (remember when we lost alternators the same week?)
The average pilot, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring. These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
  • It's not an old plane, it's a classic!
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2006, 07:22:05 AM »

Yeah, but ask if he actually OWNs one  ;)  And ask him why he keeps buying DC vehicles when they cost twice as much to work on as FOMOCO (remember when we lost alternators the same week?)

Helped prepare me for owning a Cessna.  ;)

Phil

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2006, 07:27:39 AM »

Helped prepare me for owning a Cessna.  ;)

Phil

Man, if that just prepared you for a cessna, don't ever buy a New Piper aircraft!  ;)