Author Topic: Are there big differences between the US and european PPL?  (Read 10250 times)

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
Re: Are there big differences between the US and european PPL?
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2006, 09:04:55 PM »
Wow.  I'd like to see the results of that study.  How long is it supposed to take?
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty

Offline chuckar101

• Rooster
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2006, 07:42:10 PM »
Here at ATP they get you get your license and a total of 85 hours in a C172, and about ten hours in a DA-40.  There deal is that you can't fly in the diamond until after you get your license.  It costs about 8000 US, but housing is included.  I don't know if I agree with the all glass, just from the stories I heard I would believe that all the information given would stop the student from looking outside.
WOW I did that!

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
  • It's not an old plane, it's a classic!
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2006, 09:47:10 PM »
I don't know if I agree with the all glass, just from the stories I heard I would believe that all the information given would stop the student from looking outside.

Considering how many new planes, especially the larger commercial planes, have glass panels now, I think it's a very good idea to give students at least some time in one.  Friend of mine tried to get his IFR rating this summer, he was ready for the checkride when the plane broke down.  The only other plane available had an IFR GPS system, one of the newer all-in-on packages with all your NAV/Comm in one box.  After 3 hours in it with the instructor he gave up for the summer, was just to complex to learn in a short time.  Granted he openly addmitted it'd be easier than the older systems once he got it figured out.  So, I think it's definitly a good idea to give students, or new pilots some time with a glass panel.

Personally, my only grip is that the little buttons on most systems are hard to use with gloves on, or in turbulance.  I like my big old knobs and dials.   ;D

Phil

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2007, 08:56:18 PM »
I don't know if I agree with the all glass, just from the stories I heard I would believe that all the information given would stop the student from looking outside.

Considering how many new planes, especially the larger commercial planes, have glass panels now, I think it's a very good idea to give students at least some time in one.  Friend of mine tried to get his IFR rating this summer, he was ready for the checkride when the plane broke down.  The only other plane available had an IFR GPS system, one of the newer all-in-on packages with all your NAV/Comm in one box.  After 3 hours in it with the instructor he gave up for the summer, was just to complex to learn in a short time.  Granted he openly addmitted it'd be easier than the older systems once he got it figured out.  So, I think it's definitly a good idea to give students, or new pilots some time with a glass panel.

Personally, my only grip is that the little buttons on most systems are hard to use with gloves on, or in turbulance.  I like my big old knobs and dials.   ;D

Phil

Some time is really valuable, especially for instrument training, but doing all your training in a glass cockpit is really going to cause problems when students start renting from Bear Aviation in Baudette, MN.  *ahem*
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2007, 10:18:28 AM »
Wow.  I'd like to see the results of that study.  How long is it supposed to take?

Not sure, but the initial group of students getting the combined checkride was spring before last (2 years ago now).  It seems they are still doing that program, but initial findings are probobly being put together already.
"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"