Author Topic: More diesel questions  (Read 17954 times)

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
Re: More diesel questions
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2006, 03:00:26 AM »
LOL Soccermom that was a great one!
Actually it is true that it's not quite a seperate type of engine, but it is different than a std. Otto cycle engine but so far only one production car with such an engine was ever made to my knowledge, the Mazda Millenia in the late 90s.

Speaking of alternative engine parts then I'm intrigued by the rotary valves that the US company Coates makes.

Speaking of fuel control for diesels, does the FADEC system make sure you can't put in too much fuel when you come up into thin air, and how does it do it, is the throttle-lever on aviation-diesels a suggestion-stick and not a direct control like too many cars are using now?

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

fireflyr

« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2006, 05:48:03 PM »

P.S. Extra credit for those that can tell me what a Miller engine is, I know, but do you? :)

;D

I KNOW, I KNOW!!!!!!!!!  That's an engine that runs on Miller High Life, with mods for Miller Genuine Draft or Miller Lite.   ;)

Sheesh.  And mechanics think pilots are STUPID.  Hmmmpph!!   ::)

Well DUH, talk about dumb!!!   I obviously googled the wrong site---I always wondered about those "MGD" stikers on the fuel caps :P

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2006, 12:18:36 PM »
It's hard to generalize about "aviation diesels" since there are so few.

FADEC does everything on it's own.  Moving the lever in the aircraft is like moving the joystick on a computer, the computer controls fuel.

On these engines, the turbocharging keeps the pressure, as far as the engine is concerned, pretty constant.  The engine doesn't know you are changing altitude.
"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline Mic

• Fledgling
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2006, 06:39:17 PM »
About Thielert engines, it's allowed to use common diesel fuel instead of Jet A1 because the engine is originally designed for use on cars.

The only limitation is about the outside temperature : at low temperature (high altitudes) the diesel loose its fluidity carateristics and you must avoid these conditions because you encounter a filter clogging.
A good landing allows pilot to walk out
An excellent landing allows the plane to fly again