Author Topic: So there I was...  (Read 19358 times)

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
Re: So there I was...
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2006, 08:55:09 PM »
Maybe catering found it first ???

Maybe thats what the NWA guys serve on their flights now..

You'll find it in Wilkerson under the guise of "Prime Rib."

Frank, there are signs for deer here, as well (and the occasional moose crossing), but I never slow down.  I'm just more vigilent in those areas.  Living in Minnesota my whole life, I'm surprised I've only hit one deer.  The one I did hit, I didn't see because she was still in the ditch as I came near her.  She figured she could beat me, kind of like playing chicken with a train.

Most of the small airports can't afford fencing around the whole airport.  I think Baudette spent 500K on a "security fence" and it only covers about half the ramp.
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2006, 06:33:17 AM »
At Murfreesboro, the Deer would jump the tall fence anyway, so it didn't matter if it was all fenced.  It's amazing exactly what it takes to stop a deer from jumping.
"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

fireflyr

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2006, 05:28:20 PM »
At Murfreesboro, the Deer would jump the tall fence anyway, so it didn't matter if it was all fenced.  It's amazing exactly what it takes to stop a deer from jumping.
I've managed to stop a few with as little as 55 grains of lead (delivered at a couple thousand feet per second) ;)    Seriously though, I've heard of deer clearing a 6 foot fence with a couple of feet to spare---must take at least 8 feet to deter the little beggars ???

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2006, 09:30:02 PM »
I've managed to stop a few with as little as 55 grains of lead (delivered at a couple thousand feet per second) ;)    Seriously though, I've heard of deer clearing a 6 foot fence with a couple of feet to spare---must take at least 8 feet to deter the little beggars ???

I think the tall fence is 8 ft actually.  I know it's taller than me and I'm 6'2  ;)

I think it takes a 10 ft fence.   I've seen where deer are kept in captivity and they use 10 or 12 ft fencing.
"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2006, 06:33:59 PM »
We're allowed to shoot deer year round at the airport.  During hunting season this fall, we took 10 deer off the field.

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2007, 12:46:41 AM »
Hey, I fell off my memory-meds and so can't remember...  have I told you the badger story?    ::type::

While taking off in a Champ, once the tail came up, I could see a vague blob way up ahead on the paved runway.  I thought, "Dang!  It's a coyote!" but also calculated that I'd be well off the ground by the time I got there, so kept flying.  As I closed on the "thing", I couldn't tell what it was, but it wasn't moving, so I thought maybe it was something dead.

I'd been flying for a while but held the little Champ down, right over the centerline, so I could see what this was, so I would know what to tell the tower to scrape off the runway.  Imagine my great surprise when I came right up on the brown blob, and it suddenly whirled, stood up on its hind legs, and clawed at me and the airplane as we passed right over its fierce little head -- it was a BADGER!

And he was going to take on that Champ, and WIN.     :o

Talk about fearless! 

I always figured he went back to his burrow and told all his buddies, and they all had a good laugh.     ::rofl::
Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline Turbomallard

• Rooster
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2007, 01:14:32 AM »
One time when I had my Arrow hangared at a small field 40 miles from home while waiting to get a hangar at my home field, I was putzing around one evening and was the only one at the airport... at least, the only human. A ground squirrel scampered across the ramp just outside, walking the width of the open hangar door. All of  a sudden he stopped as he seemed to realize the door was open, turned, and looked inside. I could see him looking around, seemingly fascinated at being able to see in there for the first time. He sat there for a couple of minutes, occasionally sniffing in curiosity, then went home. I always had the idea that he got home from work late, with his spouse demanding to know where he had been. Upon hearing his story about seeing one of the strange metal birds that were always buzzing around on the ground in an open "nest," she probably accused him of stopping for a few ground squirrel beers with his buddies and making up a story.

Then there is our APC here at BMI. APC= Air Port Coyote. He's been here a long time and knows not to get in the way of airplanes, but he does like to watch them. We all know him here. One evening while I was taxiing out a somewhat concerned Mesaba crew, also taxiing, told ground there was a coyote next to the taxiway watching airplanes. Ground told them not to worry. Mesaba then called in a more concerned voice saying the coyote had just crossed the taxiway. Tower simply said "roger." I couldn't stand it, and keyed the mic. "Mesaba 123, caution wake turbulence behind departing coyote." I don't think they were amused.

TM
"Do not read this signature under penalty of law."

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2007, 01:19:49 AM »
HA HA, that's a good one.  Coyotes are smart enough to not get caught, it seems..  at least all the ones I've seen. 

I LIKE your call to Mesaba... I would have laughed!!    ::bow::   

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2007, 08:25:05 PM »
I don't think Mesaba pilots have much of a sense of humor anymore.

Offline Turbomallard

• Rooster
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2007, 09:39:12 PM »
I don't think Mesaba pilots have much of a sense of humor anymore.

This was several years ago when they were still making minimum wage...

TM
"Do not read this signature under penalty of law."

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2007, 03:27:49 AM »
Wowwwwwww...  REAL money, eh?

(Got an application?)   ;)

fireflyr

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2007, 02:07:02 PM »
Wowwwwwww...  REAL money, eh?

(Got an application?)   ;)
MONEY!!!---For flying an airplane????
Now, who thought that up for Pete's sake???    Next thing ya know, somebody's gonna start a rumor that you make a living at flying ::loony::

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2007, 11:28:36 PM »
Boy, I sure hope someday I can make a living at flying!!!!  Wouldn't THAT be cool?!!?

(Psssssssttt -- What's the secret, anyway?)     ::thinking::

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2007, 12:00:15 AM »

Now, who thought that up for Pete's sake???    Next thing ya know, somebody's gonna start a rumor that you make a living at flying ::loony::

Make a living flying !! HA HA !!!

You funny Fireflyer !!!     ::rofl::
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2007, 12:31:10 AM »
Actually, I personally like to say that Flying Is Living! ::angel:: |:)\ ::bow::

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci