Author Topic: Off season OSH-ing  (Read 4927 times)

Offline spacer

• Alpha Rooster
Off season OSH-ing
« on: November 11, 2006, 05:05:23 AM »
I'm working in Wisconsin this coming week, and my hotel is less than an hour from OSH.
 8)
Methinks I'm going to mosey up there (well, slip 'n slide, anyway) in the morning.

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
Re: Off season OSH-ing
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 03:37:22 PM »
Is there anything going on there in the off-season?
like an airplane museum or something?
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline Turbomallard

• Rooster
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 05:28:32 PM »
Yep. The museum is open year round and has some great stuff in it. Then there's Pioneer Airport, with all sorts of fascinating airplanes, but it's now closed for the season. I think the NYP Spirit of St. Louis replica is supposed to be back online next year... I flew in it in fall of '02 and it was one of the most memorable flights a pilot could make. I didn't know much about the original before then, but after the flight I began reading everything I could find on it... I'd love to fly in it again now that I appreciate the original so much more. Plus, it's cool to make sure the EAA pilot doing your flight is a CFI... that way you can log it as dual in your logbook. Though the replica is registered as N211, it's legal for them to log it as NX-211, meaning you can log it as that along with "NYP" as the model. It's a good way to see if an examiner is really paying attention to your logbook when they're looking through it on a checkride! "Wait... what's this crap? Dual in the Spirit of St. Louis? I'm going to bust you for falsifying your logbook!" Then you have to explain it, which takes up part of your oral time and is a lot more fun than what you came there for.  ;D

Sonex is also located on the other end of the field. Speaking of which, the CDs with the manuscript and images should be going in the mail to the publisher at the end of the week!

Fore more info:

www.airventuremuseum.org

And see if this link works:

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/gromit63/album/576460762307745544

TM
"Do not read this signature under penalty of law."

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 02:38:26 AM »
Woah!

I had no idea! Where was I the last couple of years???

.... oh yeah.... BFE Nevada!

Thanks Duck!
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline Zaffex

• Cockerel
  • "It's ZULU TIME!!!"
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2006, 02:39:58 AM »
Lucky, thy name is Turbomallard.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

How difficult was it to fly? I've heard that the real Spirit had really bad handling characteristics.
"You know you're a redneck pilot when you think avgas makes a good cologne."

Offline Turbomallard

• Rooster
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2006, 03:44:05 AM »
Not luck... I just saw that they had opened it up for paying customers on their web site and went up there and forked over $100 for a flight. They do rides in many of the planes at Pioneer, rotating some off the line every year... this year the NYP had the year off. Hopefully they'll put it back on the flight line next year. They also have a Fantasy Flight Camp built around that plane, too (as well as others... including their B-17). Check it out!

As for how it flew... it flew badly (i.e. faithful to the original). The NYP was a scaled up Ryan M1 mail plane, which itself was a plane of the period. They minimized changes to save time and money, trading that for favorable flying characteristics. The EAA replica (it's NOT a reproduction, and purists slam EAA repeatedly about this, even though it was never intended to be a reproduction) is, oddly enough, easier to fly than the original because of some changes between it and the original. The best way I can sum up the feeling of flying it was that it was like trying to roller skate on ice blindfolded... all your physical cues are misleading and inputs are not rewarded with what you expected or are at least delayed. The stick is about the size of a baseball bat. Shove it with both hands to one side and eventually the thing will roll. In yaw it's even more interesting (the small tail of the M1 was retained at Lindbergh's request). Since you can't really see forward, you have to guess if it's coordinated, and it won't stay coordinated on its own. Shove a pedal, and several seconds later (or so it seems) the tail starts to slew around. You need to lead the opposite rudder to cancel out the input, too, as it takes the same amount of time to reverse the input. Astronaut Hoot Gibson flew the replica (along with Neal Armstrong, Deke Slayton, Chuck Yeager, etc.) and described it as the worst flying airplane he'd ever flown.

EAA had a great video on the NYP and their replica; not sure if it's still available. A great read on the airplane is "The Untold Story of the Spirit of St. Louis" available lots of places online.

See what happens next May when they re-open Pioneer at Oshkosh... if they put the NYP back on the line, all you gotta do is show up with cash, and you're in.

TM
"Do not read this signature under penalty of law."

Offline spacer

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2006, 04:32:29 AM »
I made it, and it was pretty great. Too bad about the timing, though. Pioneer field would likely have been my favorite part.
I spent some time ogling SpaceShipOne, and they showed a nice little film and feathered the tail for us. Cool.
The only negative part for me was the little shrine to FDR. I shrugged, gave his picture the finger, and went on to check out some more planes.

fireflyr

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2006, 03:49:25 PM »
I made it, and it was pretty great. Too bad about the timing, though. Pioneer field would likely have been my favorite part.
I spent some time ogling SpaceShipOne, and they showed a nice little film and feathered the tail for us. Cool.
The only negative part for me was the little shrine to FDR. I shrugged, gave his picture the finger, and went on to check out some more planes.

You flipped FDR the bird???  I mean, he was a Democrat and all but YOU FLIPPED HIM OFF!!!  What was that about?   :D   HAHAHAAA!

Offline spacer

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2006, 09:55:59 PM »

You flipped FDR the bird???  I mean, he was a Democrat and all but YOU FLIPPED HIM OFF!!!  What was that about?   :D   HAHAHAAA!

I guess it'd be a long story, and probably better suited to a political board... but he wasn't a good guy at all.