Author Topic: USAF Thunderbirds put on a rocking show!  (Read 8858 times)

Offline switchtech

• Cockerel
  • Climb, Communicate, Confess, Comply
    • SwitchTech's home page
USAF Thunderbirds put on a rocking show!
« on: November 05, 2006, 04:01:15 AM »
I took my daughter to Lackland Air Fest 2006 at the Kelly USA (Formerly Kelly Air Force Base).  She was tired and didn't really get into the show, much  :(

The whole production exudes professionalism.  The ground team and pilots obviously train intensely.  I missed a few maneuvers taking my daughter to the kids area, but we saw most of it.  Just awesome.  :o

I took a few pictures and some video (my camera doesn't do sound, though) and put them in my photo album at http://www.switchtech.us/cpg.  The pictures barely do justice to the event.

jbs

The sky and land joined for one brief moment, then we flew - the ground a receding memory for just a little while.

Offline spacer

• Alpha Rooster
Re: USAF Thunderbirds put on a rocking show!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2006, 04:51:29 PM »
We got to see the Blue Angels today, but I was there for the Red Barons. :)

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2006, 06:31:41 PM »
Anyone know what the Thunderbirds will use now?   Do they still get to use the F-16's even though they're decommissioned?
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty

Offline cj5_pilot

• Rooster
  • "Fly Fast, Fly Low, Turn Left"
    • Alaskan Aviators
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2006, 07:30:55 PM »
Anyone know what the Thunderbirds will use now?   Do they still get to use the F-16's even though they're decommissioned?

??????

First I've heard of the F-16s being decommisioned!  ???  What gives with that?

I've seen the Blue Angels, the Thunderbirds and the Snow Birds.  All three were excellent in their own way.  I'd hate to have to pick a favorite, but if I HAD to I'd say Blue Angels....simply because of "Fat Albert" the JATO C-130!  ;) ;D

Did the lead Solo Thunderbird do the "sneak attack" from behind the crowd?  I always love that one.  The '16 is hard to hear if it's coming directly from behind you until it goes overhead, then it goes vertical.  I love to watch the crowd jump!
The average pilot, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring. These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2006, 07:38:43 PM »
Yeah, the F-16 is done as of next year.  The Happy Hooligans in Fargo (NDANG) have already lost theirs.  They'll be getting C-21's (I think that's the designation.  They're the military Lear 35 or 45) and will be flying Grand Forks' Predators.  Everybody's pretty pissed that they didn't get another interceptor.
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty

Offline cj5_pilot

• Rooster
    • Alaskan Aviators
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2006, 10:35:55 PM »
Hmm....I did a google search and see they are retiring about 180 of them but not the whole force.  This is what I found:

http://www.f-16.net/news_article1369.html
The average pilot, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring. These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

Offline switchtech

• Cockerel
    • SwitchTech's home page
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2006, 01:46:25 AM »
Did the lead Solo Thunderbird do the "sneak attack" from behind the crowd?  I always love that one.  The '16 is hard to hear if it's coming directly from behind you until it goes overhead, then it goes vertical.  I love to watch the crowd jump!

They do it twice.  The folks here cheer and wave their hands in the air for each "attack."  It'd be doubly impressive done supersonic - but FAA says no can do (plus we'd all be deaf in short order if they kept it up).

I hadn't heard any rumours about the F16 retiring.  The B1 did a fly over several times while I was driving in and parking.  It was long gone by the time I was out of the car.

jbs
The sky and land joined for one brief moment, then we flew - the ground a receding memory for just a little while.

Offline BrianGMFS

• Rooster
  • My other car is a Firefly
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2006, 02:17:45 AM »
The F-16's retiring are probably some older A and B models assigned to Air National Guard units. The regular Air force and many Air guard units are still going strong using F-16's. Many times units will have their designation changed which usually means they get a different aircraft. In it's 60 year history, The Vermont Air Guard has gone through many aircraft types. they started with P-47's, then went to Mustangs, F-89 Scorpions, F-102's, EB-57 Canberra's (the last US unit to fly this type) F-4's and then F-16's. The "replacement" for the F-16 is the new F-35 Joint Strike Fighter which won't be online for 10-12 years. Sometimes during force restructuring, one state will lose it's fighters and get a transport mission and another state will have to switch from C-130's to A-10's.. it all depends on what the Pentagon wants.

New England could be it's own airforce....

Vermont: F-16C's
New Hampshire: KC-135's
Maine: KC-135's
Massachusetts: F-15's
Connecticut: A-10's
Rhoad Island: C-130's

If you add in the Air Force Reserve units you get C-5's from Massachusetts
Add in NY and NJ you get 2 more F-16 squadrons, another of C-130's, AF reserve C-5's, KC-10's and a Aerospace Rescue squadron.

Don't mess with the Northeast LOLOLOL

Brian

-

"Take my love, take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me."

Offline switchtech

• Cockerel
    • SwitchTech's home page
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2006, 03:09:31 AM »
If you add in the Air Force Reserve units you get C-5's from Massachusetts
Add in NY and NJ you get 2 more F-16 squadrons, another of C-130's, AF reserve C-5's, KC-10's and a Aerospace Rescue squadron.

Don't mess with the Northeast LOLOLOL
Brian

Here in Texas we have the "Commemorative Air Force" ...  ;)
(based in Midland Texas) 

Plus we have the commercials that say "Don't Mess with Texas!"

Of course, those commercials really target litterbugs (don't "mess" with Texas, as in Don't Mess It Up with Litter!)

We have the Space Program, too!

jbs

Offline cj5_pilot

• Rooster
    • Alaskan Aviators
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2006, 09:10:54 PM »
Hmm...I don't recall all the unit designations here in Alaska, but I know we have the following aircraft:

F-15s
F-16s
OA-10s
C-130s
KC-135s
AWACS

I understand Elmendorf is going to lose a F-15 squadron and pick up a F-22 Squadron.  I also understand some C-17s will be assigned up here.

Oh and don't forget the ABM installation at Fort Greely!

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2006, 01:07:50 AM »
The listing of the A-10s up here reminds me...

The A-10s are all *supposed* to be in the guard units now... there isn't supposed to be an A-10 guard unit here, yet I promise you there are A-10s.  ;)

"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline cj5_pilot

• Rooster
    • Alaskan Aviators
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2006, 05:04:56 AM »
The listing of the A-10s up here reminds me...

The A-10s are all *supposed* to be in the guard units now... there isn't supposed to be an A-10 guard unit here, yet I promise you there are A-10s.  ;)

OA-10s...*grin*  there are "observation" aircraft ROFL!  Yep, Eielson still has some...Elmendorf has the Viper instead.

Ask Tundra about some of the fun stuff he see's when Cope Thunder comes to town

Offline Herk Fixer

• Oklahoma Wreckchasing
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2006, 03:32:32 PM »
Hey All,

The A-10/OA-10 is still in several units, in spite of repeated attempts to retire the airplane.  See also:  http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/aircraft/a-10-unit.htm

On the subject of the original thread:  I enjoy the Thunderbirds every time I see them, but I have to say the Blue Angels put on a better show!  (and I'm Air Force!)
The Tower!?  The Tower!?  Rapunzel!  Rapunzel! - Johnny

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2006, 06:35:18 PM »

OA-10s...*grin*  there are "observation" aircraft ROFL!  Yep, Eielson still has some...Elmendorf has the Viper instead.

Ask Tundra about some of the fun stuff he see's when Cope Thunder comes to town

For "observation aircraft" they sure still have a lot of hard points and a mighty big gun!

I don't notice anything extra on them from a normal A-10 either.  ;) 

So where does the "O" come in?
"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline cj5_pilot

• Rooster
    • Alaskan Aviators
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2006, 08:03:38 PM »
It's actually more the role then any overt changes.  The O means observation, and the OA-10s here in Alaska are used in the forward air control role.  Basically they are spotting targets for the fast movers (F-16s and F-15E strike eagles).  This role started in Vietnam first with Cessna Birddogs and later Mixmasters and OV-10s and other aircraft.  Traditionally the FAC would mark targets with smoke rockets.  These days they may do it by transmitting GPS co-ords--maybe one of our active service guys knows.  The beauty of the A-10 is that it is well armored to protect the pilot and should somebody take a shot at them, well they can defend themselves unlike a Birddog.  I understand one of the reasons behind the change from tank buster to FAC has to do with the gun supposedly being able to starve the engine of air in a prolonged burst.  I think that's an urban legend, as I've never seen it substantiated in print.

Actually the Warthogs are the second aircraft to carry the OA-10 designation.  The first was certain models of the PBY Catalina.  The Catalina wreck at the Aviation Heritage Museum in Anchorage is one such.

Don't laugh, but back when I was nominated for the USAF Academy I wanted to fly either A-10s.....or C-130s!