Author Topic: Home of the World's Worst Weather  (Read 6876 times)

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
Home of the World's Worst Weather
« on: November 01, 2006, 01:32:28 AM »
Since most pilot dweebs tend to also be weather junkies, I thought you all might enjoy this weather site.

Mt. Washington, in the White Mountains of New Hampshire, in the northeastern U.S., is the site of the highest wind ever recorded on the surface of the earth.  OUR earth.  Our lovely blue planet.  It has some of the most severe weather on earth;  many people have perished there, due to its relatively close proximity to populated areas and its draw to hikers and climbers.  It has long been used as a training ground for military and civilian arctic exploration teams, as well as a testbed to see how machinery performs under extreme cold conditions.

The weather observatory up there is very old, and is widely respected in the weather world.   |:)\

I believe they have already had over 40" of snow this month;  also, the wind hit over 150 mph within the last few days.  All this, at a normally-unremarkable elevation of 6288 feet MSL!!    :o

I find it a fascinating window into some astonishing weather:

www.mountwashington.org   

I hope you all find it interesting as well!  It can even make you miss that wild New England weather....  believe it or not!

Cheers,
The Soccer Mom**
Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline FB41

Re: Home of the World's Worst Weather
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 12:38:59 PM »
I may never complain about our little huricane winds again! At least they don't involve ice and snow!

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 03:10:38 PM »
Wow, to think such wild weather was there, that was a surprise to me for sure. Thanks for the link.

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 06:29:49 PM »
Btw, that reminds me of a classic quote:

"Everyone talks about the weather but no one does anything about it"
- Storm P. (I wonder if anyone here knows who he was)

Frank
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 06:36:29 PM by Frank N. O. »
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline BrianGMFS

• Rooster
  • My other car is a Firefly
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 07:34:24 PM »
Mt Washington is only about an Hour and a half drive from me. in the summer you can drive the Toll road to the summit or ride the cog railroad to the top. Info is here http://www.mountwashington.com/

Brian

-

"Take my love, take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me."

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 09:47:50 PM »
Yes, it's an incedible place.  The weather observatory is manned constantly, and there are many ghost stories associated with the Mountain, over the years.

In February 2003, this was the general forecast for the summit of Mt. Washington:

Weather:  in and out of the clouds

HIGH Temperatures:   -25 to -30 degrees F  (that is the HIGH, during the day!!)

Winds:  NW at 75 to 100 mph, with higher gusts......

:-\  Every time I start to complain about the weather, I try to think of THAT forecast, and it doesn't seem quite so bad!!!   :P
Don't make me come back there!!!!

fireflyr

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2006, 04:56:11 AM »
That reminds me of the day I walked 30 miles to school through baseball size hail, uphill both directions, during the most intense heat wave in history just to tell the teacher that I couldn't make to school that day because the 100 MPH winds were knocking our cows over and I had to stay home to help Dad prop them up.....................................
Actually, the way that weather sounds makes me glad I'm on the West Coast

Offline want2fly

• Fledgling
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2006, 10:28:06 PM »
The weather there sounds bad. Makes me glad I live in Wisconsin where it SNOWED today.
If all else fails, read the directions.

Offline cj5_pilot

• Rooster
  • "Fly Fast, Fly Low, Turn Left"
    • Alaskan Aviators
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2006, 02:55:24 AM »
Bah, they should try life in the brooks range or the Aleutians...

the motto for Alaska flying:  "You don't like the weather?  Wait a few minutes it will change"
The average pilot, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring. These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

fireflyr

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2006, 09:14:50 AM »
Bah, they should try life in the brooks range or the Aleutians...

the motto for Alaska flying:  "You don't like the weather?  Wait a few minutes it will change"
Sorry but the Mid West has been using that one since before Seward was born (the guy who bought Alaska from Russia)

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2006, 08:59:56 PM »
Sorry but the Mid West has been using that one since before Seward was born (the guy who bought Alaska from Russia)

Except here it's true.

Unforecast IFR is the norm in a lot of areas.  Set out for a place on a forecast clear, good VFR, day and end up shooting the approach to minimums or not get in at all.

"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"