Author Topic: What do the crew say before the crash  (Read 3319 times)

Offline titinka

Offline cj5_pilot

• Rooster
  • "Fly Fast, Fly Low, Turn Left"
    • Alaskan Aviators
Re: What do the crew say before the crash
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 08:36:57 PM »
A bit grim honestly.  As a pilot I don't like to think about what the last seconds are like were I to make a grave mistake.
The average pilot, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring. These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

Offline Herk Fixer

• Oklahoma Wreckchasing
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 09:46:33 PM »
Grim, indeed.  Ya know, sometimes I think websites (& other media) feature that stuff just to titilate others.  But as someone who studies aviation safety (and surveys aircraft crash sites), there is value in looking back at what happened to cause a mishap.  As a pilot and mechanic, I do try keep in mind that every crash is a lesson for the rest of us.  Just this past weekend, I surveyed the crash site of a Cessna 310 on a mountain here in OK (http://okwreckchasing.com/unknown1.html)  I do believe studying the aftermath can help us all grow as pilots.

Just a couple of cents....
The Tower!?  The Tower!?  Rapunzel!  Rapunzel! - Johnny

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
  • It's not an old plane, it's a classic!
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2006, 04:23:10 AM »
Well, one of the local EAA members claims that when a con rod came through the cowling on his Mooney at 1,000 agl he had the pressence of mind to tell his passenger "Well, I just became a glider pilot!".   ;D

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2006, 05:27:08 AM »
Herk Fixer, you are right ON the money here.  If we can just learn from all that has already happened, at least we might gain some understanding when things go wrong on us.

Sometimes even a simple comment can be valuable just a few flights later...  Regarding losing steering control on the runway, in an airplane with a tiller for steering:  I had a very, very high-time guy say that you can always "steer" from the right seat (at relatively low speeds), even when the nose steering tiller is way over on the LEFT side, by compensating for that by getting the WEIGHT OFF THE NOSEWHEEL by holding full aft elevator.  No weight=no effect, right?  So...  when the guy in the left seat gets on the tiller too soon, and you're departing the runway, and headed off to the toolies, well..  even though the "steering contorl" is WAY over there, (out of reach!!  EEK), you still have options to FLY THE AIRPLANE. 

It wasn't more than a few days after this comment when a great guy, who just hadn't been in the airplane in a long time, got in, and even though we discussed how touchy the nose steering is, you guessed it, we were off the side of the runway in a split second.  Happily, I managed to recall those words, and yes, it makes a big difference, and we stopped so soon anyway, it was no big deal.  But...  I was struck by the TIMING. 

I wish I could somehow go through this aviation life, and just fill up my head with words like these, from these highly experienced pilots.  I read every accident report I can get my hands on, just to try to glean those bits of information.  There are lots of clues to help us out there...  if we could only gather them all.

|:)\   |:)\   |:)\
Don't make me come back there!!!!