Author Topic: tailwheel endorsment??  (Read 5713 times)

Offline want2fly

• Fledgling
tailwheel endorsment??
« on: October 26, 2006, 04:52:13 PM »
I am 15 and working on a ppl and I have 20 hour and I really want to start working on a tailwheel endorsment. Should I wait until I have my ppl or is it smarter to start training on it now?
If all else fails, read the directions.

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
  • It's not an old plane, it's a classic!
Re: tailwheel endorsment??
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 05:35:53 PM »
I got my ppc in a Citabria which is a taildragger.  I think it's valuable to get the tailwheel training as it definitly makes you a more skilled pilot, especially during landings.  I don't know if it really matters whether you get it before you finish your ppc or soon after.  It'll largely depend on your finances and whether you have a flight instructor that will give primary instruction in a taildragger.  The insurance for that is very expensive for the flight instructor.

Phil

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 05:49:11 PM »
Since you started on a tri gear I'd suggest waiting until after you have your PPL just so you have few things to worry about as you work on your license.  I don't know if that'll make any difference, but it seems to me that working on your tailwheel can just give you more stuff to worry about.

Now, if you get to the point of being ready for a checkride and just need to wait for a birthday or something to take it then that could change things too.
"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline want2fly

• Fledgling
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 06:07:55 PM »
thanks for both of your answers

Offline cj5_pilot

• Rooster
  • "Fly Fast, Fly Low, Turn Left"
    • Alaskan Aviators
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 10:19:38 PM »
If you are 15 you might want to look in to the Civil Air Patrol.  They have a nice cadet program.  It's based around the Air Force so you'd be wearing a uniform and doing some drill.  However there is a heavy course of Aviation study.  As you take learn and take tests you get the opportunity for flight hours.  It's a nice way to save some moola on the license and get extra air time.  At least here in Alaska the "Senior" members could check out "Corporate" aircraft for personal use as long as they paid for the fuel.  Also the CAP conducts search and rescues.  It's useful to know how to find other people in case you yourself ever needs to be found.  If you know how they look, you can make yourself easier to find!  You also get other training such as first aid and CPR.  In addition if you decide to go in to the Air Force afterwords you can get a little bit of a jumpstart on rank because of the CAP experience.  Other fun things I did as a Cadet is Color Guard.  We were pretty good and marched in the 4th of July Parades and Memorial Day parades in Soldotna and Kenai.  'Sides it's always great to be around other aviation minded folks!
The average pilot, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring. These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

Offline want2fly

• Fledgling
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 11:44:38 PM »
I've looked into the CAP and I am really not looking at going into the air force and I've talked to other people that say it is only worth it if you are going into the air force. I also am not worried about the savings because my parents are paying for it right now.

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2006, 05:38:52 AM »
Hello Want2Fly!! 

Sounds like you are started on a great ride in aviation -- way to go!   ;D

If money is no object, then a bit of tailwheel exposure at this point would be good additional experience.  You'll always have the training, after all.  But, if you're like 98% of the pilots I know, I'd just concentrate on doing what you need to do to finish up your PPL, and then go into the tailwheel afterward. 

It sounds like it would work fine either way, for you.  You're smart to get it -- it does make you a better pilot, for sure, just like the other guys have mentioned already.

Have FUN!!!   8)   8)
Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline cj5_pilot

• Rooster
  • "Fly Fast, Fly Low, Turn Left"
    • Alaskan Aviators
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2006, 04:22:05 PM »
Heh, if mom and dad are willing to buy then get your PPL then your tail endorsement.  In the yahoo group that Tundra and I moderate we have a young (well, not as young this many years later!) guy from my stomping grounds in the Kenai area who got his PPL in his grandad's Cessna 170.  Last I recall he was tying to get his grandad to let him fly the Beech Staggerwing  ;D  It's awesome to have parents that support your choice to become a pilot. Heck, I'm in my mid thirties and my mother still worries when I go up!  When I did the T-6 ride I thought she was going to have a cardiac arrest!  My wife though doesn't mind me being a pilot. 
The average pilot, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring. These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

Offline want2fly

• Fledgling
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2006, 08:41:23 PM »
My twin brother and I who are both going for are ppc got our parents interested in flying. Our parents want to get a ppc also.

Offline SarDragon

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2006, 10:14:29 PM »
I've looked into the CAP and I am really not looking at going into the air force and I've talked to other people that say it is only worth it if you are going into the air force. I also am not worried about the savings because my parents are paying for it right now.

I thoroughly disagree. CAP is good for a lot more than preparation for the Air Force. I have been a member since I was 15, and there are things I have learned that still help me over 40 years later.

The quasi-military aspect may be a turn-off, but the leadership lessons you learn are useful inside and outside the military. The aviation aspect is also useful in your situation.

PM me with your location (Zip code), and I'll get you some more info.