Author Topic: Random Alaskan Photos  (Read 5851 times)

Offline cj5_pilot

• Rooster
  • "Fly Fast, Fly Low, Turn Left"
    • Alaskan Aviators
Random Alaskan Photos
« on: October 15, 2006, 04:49:29 PM »
Here are some pics from the backyard this morning.  Just such a pretty morning I had to share.  Sorry pics are only so-so, but it's a cheap, older digital and it was right at sunrise:

This is the Sunset Maple we planted in the backyard this spring.  Most Alaskan trees turn yellow or orange in the fall and we wanted to add some red to the backyard.  Note the frost:

And last some flowers the wife has out back on one of the terraces we put in when we landscaped this year:

The average pilot, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring. These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

fireflyr

Re: Random Alaskan Photos
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 03:04:11 AM »
Pretty tree but frost in October is entirely too soon for me---we get our frost in January and February and that's enough for me.   I've ;ived in cold climates and think they are wonderful to visit but am happy with milder weather ;)

Offline BrianGMFS

• Rooster
  • My other car is a Firefly
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 01:29:47 PM »
we've had frost here in VT the last 4 mornings... never got above 50 all weekend, Sunny though

Brian

-

"Take my love, take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me."

Offline switchtech

• Cockerel
  • Climb, Communicate, Confess, Comply
    • SwitchTech's home page
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 01:00:31 AM »
Pretty tree but frost in October is entirely too soon for me---we get our frost in January and February and that's enough for me.   I've ;ived in cold climates and think they are wonderful to visit but am happy with milder weather ;)

Frost?  We sometimes get a fairly cold dew....   ;D

jbs
The sky and land joined for one brief moment, then we flew - the ground a receding memory for just a little while.

Offline cj5_pilot

• Rooster
    • Alaskan Aviators
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 03:01:27 AM »
It was 24 F when the daughter and I took the Arctic Cat out on Saturday morning....only saw three birds, and no good shots so no Grouse.  Was a fun ride though we hadn't dressed QUITE warm enough.  Missed getting a pic of the brilliant white ermine that was looking at us from 3' from the wheeler!
The average pilot, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring. These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
  • It's not an old plane, it's a classic!
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 06:07:43 PM »
Co-worker sent me this one of the Tok AWOS station.   ;D

Offline cj5_pilot

• Rooster
    • Alaskan Aviators
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2006, 03:09:57 AM »
First up is a Super DC-3 at Palmer from Saturday.  Note the regular DC-3 (probably a C-47 actually as there were WAY more of them built then "true" DC-3s and a lot of C-47s were converted to airliners after WWII) behind it.  Note way in the background a sikorsky fuselage.

Next up is a shot of one of the two C-119's at Palmer also from Saturday.  This is the one that was involved in that runway incursion where some kids on a four wheeler ran out on to the runway while the aircraft was taking off.  If anyone is interested I can relate the whole story.

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2006, 03:21:56 AM »
Woah Man!

Alaska is pretty awesome!

It's time for another movie like "Always" but with more flying and less Hollywood !!!
And it should be filmed in Alaska!
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2006, 05:26:44 PM »
With the two DC-3s...if you look at the second one, right behind the cockpit windows it has a red line start that ends abruptly into white paint.   That's because it used to say "Frontier"  in script there...    Wish company still had it, would love to have an opportunity for some DC-3 time...  (they got rid of it in 2000).   That's at least if it's the right aircraft, but based on the pictures I've seen (both before and after it was sold) as well as where it's supposed to be at that'll be her.

"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline cj5_pilot

• Rooster
    • Alaskan Aviators
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2006, 09:19:40 PM »
Woah Man!

Alaska is pretty awesome!

It's time for another movie like "Always" but with more flying and less Hollywood !!!
And it should be filmed in Alaska!

Heh, I can think of several right off the top of my head:

"The Glacier Pilot:  The Bob Reeve story"
"Wager with the Wind" (Don Sheldon)
"Winging it!" (Jack Jefford)

Those are all titles of books about "famous" Alaskan Bush Pilots.  They'd all make grand movies.  Other pilots that would make great copy for a movie are Noel Wein, Ray Tremblay, Archie Ferguson, Harold Gilliam and a guy that Tundra's met by the name of Paul Shanahan (or was that Oshanahan?)

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2006, 11:06:02 PM »
Those are all titles of books about "famous" Alaskan Bush Pilots.  They'd all make grand movies.  Other pilots that would make great copy for a movie are Noel Wein, Ray Tremblay, Archie Ferguson, Harold Gilliam and a guy that Tundra's met by the name of Paul Shanahan (or was that Oshanahan?)

Shanahan (sp?), I've only met him once, he was stopping by to say hi at the FBO before heading back to Bettles in his C-180.  It was Dec, 6pm (dark) and about -30F.  I believe he was in his 70's then.  On the other hand I see the books Author on a regular basis, the book is "Wings over Wilderness".

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2006, 08:02:36 PM »
I'd like to hear that runway incursion story...
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2006, 11:44:04 PM »
I'd like to hear that runway incursion story...

Huh?  ya lost me on that one Gulf?

Phil

Offline cj5_pilot

• Rooster
    • Alaskan Aviators
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2006, 07:31:53 PM »
The C-119 that is missing the engine in the photo had an engine out about 15 or so years ago.  With a full load of salmon it had to land at Port Lions.  It sat for 10 years before the folks that owned it were able to put a new engine (or get the old one overhauled, not 100% sure on that) on it.  They went back several times working on it.  The people in the small town (village really) came to see the plane as "theirs"--as in the kids played in and around it.  Port Lions is a pretty short strip for a C-119 even empty and especially with one radial and the jet that hadn't been in the air in 10 years.  Finally they got the plane airworthy again and then found somebody who was type rated in the C-119 (not many of them flying so not many availabe pilots!).  The pilot ended up being the same guy who had the engine out in that plane 10 years before!  ;D  Anyhow they warned everyone in Port Lions to stay off the runway and off to the sides.  On takeoff after they reached the point of no return they lost power on one of the engines.  Just then several "kids" (I believe they were teenagers) rode a 4-wheeler on to the end of the runway.  A bystander snapped a picture just as it happened.  You can see the front wheel of the C-119 just lifting off right at the end of the runway with the mains still firmly planted.  The 4-wheeler and kids pass between the prop arc and the side of the fuselage!  The pilot managed to get the aircraft in to the air and safely to Kodiak.  One of the bystanders called the FAA and complained saying that the pilot had been unsafe in almost hitting that 4-wheeler and kids.  FAA interviewed a few people and then wanted to commend the pilot on a good job!  Far from upset with the pilot they were upset with the folks that caused the runway incursion!  The Anchorage FSDO actually uses that pic in safety meetings to show that runway incursions just aren't other planes!

This website has more about the plane and some nice pics from here in Alaska. It does not mention the runway incursion.

http://www.flyingboxcar.com/

Besides planes, 4 wheelers, cars, RV's and people there are a few other things you need to worry about at airports in Alaska:  moose, caribou, and bears on the runways.  In the '80's a "Scare Air" (SCA, South Central Aviation) Navajo hit a moose at the Soldotna airport (SXQ) and severely damaged the plane.  The moose didn't make it.

I also recieved some pics the other day (won't post 'em as I don't have permission) of a pair of cubs.  Two guys were out hunting and it looks like one of the guides who hunts the area was upset with them (the guides are hunting on public land so they can't keep other hunters out, but they try to discourage hunters that aren't hunting with them) and he actually "bounced" the landing gear of his plane off of both cubs, severely damaging the wings of both.  Bear in mind this is in Bush Alaska, during the fall when it can snow and the temp can plummet unexpectedly--and this guy just damaged these hunter's mode of transportation.  Pretty dirty trick if you ask me.

Ah, Alaska...still a bit wild and wooly at times