Author Topic: Morons!!!  (Read 8865 times)

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
  • It's not an old plane, it's a classic!
Morons!!!
« on: September 30, 2006, 06:21:35 AM »
 >:(  Just watched a truck and a muscle car spinning out on the runway in front of my place.   >:(

Grrrrr...hey Bob!  Can I borrow the Lott for a few weeks?  And a box of the solids too.  Grrrrr.

Phil
« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 05:32:03 PM by Mike »

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
Re: F***ing Morons!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2006, 08:16:46 AM »
>:(  Just watched a truck and a muscle car spinning out on the runway in front of my place.   >:(

Grrrrr...hey Bob!  Can I borrow the Lott for a few weeks?  And a box of the solids too.  Grrrrr.

Phil

Welp, they've got license plates on the front and back... take down numbers.   

That'd be considered vandalism I reckon.
"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
Re: F***ing Morons!!!
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2006, 10:15:43 AM »
Sorry about the runway, I also don't understand the mentality of some people like that. What's so fun with burn-outs and spins? I just saw a video on google video with a guy that got a Ford GT mounted with a Twin Turbo giving it over 1000hp and it almost crashed on the drag strip, fishtailing when dropping too fast into second and then spinning a 360 over the center divider and between the cones and after that a lot of clips of high speed full turbo acceleration in the night time on public roads and the guy that bought the car clearly said he was hooked on adrenalin and the best of all racing was on the streets and he'd do that a lot. The guys that made the car were also a bit on the nuts side, even filmed standing up girlfriends/wives that clearly wasn't happy. I don't mind building cars and liking speed, but the guy that bought the car and the kit clearly admitted to being hooked on adrenalin, what I call an adrenalin junkie and he wanted to streetrace it, those people are extremely dangerous and I as a car and driving enthusiast refuse to be put in the same catagory as those people. He's going to kill someone some day.

I hope there wasn't any serious damage on your runway but I agree with Bara, write down the numbers and possibly what you can describe of what car and driver it was and report it to the police since it has to be illegal where you live too, it sure as heck is morally wrong.

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
Re: Morons!!!
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2006, 07:34:02 PM »
Unfortunatly this happened after dark, so all I could see were tail and head lights.  Or you can bet I've have been on the phone with the troopers.  I think I'll be mounting a rather powerfull light on the front of my hanger in the future.

We had a couple inches of wet snow yesterday evening, and the runway is grass in front of my place, so doesn't look like any major damage.  Just tore up the grass a bit.  It's the total lack of respect for property that really pisses me off.

Phil

fireflyr

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2006, 11:38:00 PM »
Unfortunatly this happened after dark, so all I could see were tail and head lights.  Or you can bet I've have been on the phone with the troopers.  I think I'll be mounting a rather powerfull light on the front of my hanger in the future.

We had a couple inches of wet snow yesterday evening, and the runway is grass in front of my place, so doesn't look like any major damage.  Just tore up the grass a bit.  It's the total lack of respect for property that really pisses me off.

Phil
That's the joy of the Second Amendment--we got guns, use'em--a couple of rounds OVER their dumbass cars oughta make'em reconsider the whole thing! 8)

Offline cj5_pilot

• Rooster
  • "Fly Fast, Fly Low, Turn Left"
    • Alaskan Aviators
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2006, 11:46:07 PM »

Phil

You want the .458 Lott or the M-1 Garand?  I can probably scare up some AP for the Garand...but there is something to be said for a 500gr Barnes Solid moving along at 2400 fps  ;D

Yeah, a couple of big floods on the front of the hangar is a good idea.  Not only light up the runway for seeing licenses on idjits like that but also be helpful for unloading beer...err I mean antifreeze....during those dark winter nights  ;)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't damaging the surface of a runway carry the same penalties as fooling with an aircraft?  As in Federal offense?
The average pilot, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring. These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

fireflyr

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2006, 12:19:27 AM »

Phil
;D
You want the .458 Lott or the M-1 Garand?  I can probably scare up some AP for the Garand...but there is something to be said for a 500gr Barnes Solid moving along at 2400 fps  ;D

Yeah, a couple of big floods on the front of the hangar is a good idea.  Not only light up the runway for seeing licenses on idjits like that but also be helpful for unloading beer...err I mean antifreeze....during those dark winter nights  ;)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't damaging the surface of a runway carry the same penalties as fooling with an aircraft?  As in Federal offense?
Ain't sure what a .458 Lott is but if it's noisy----that's the right one!!!

Offline cj5_pilot

• Rooster
    • Alaskan Aviators
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2006, 03:40:51 AM »
A .458 Lott is a .458 Winchester Magnum with afterburners  ;D  Very noisy since mine has a 20" Barrel and a muzzle break  ;)  Take a standard .458 and make it a half an inch longer in the case.  It was designed to duplicate the power of the .470 Nitro Express elephant rifle...it actually exceeds it by quite a bit.  I make my cases by "blowing out" and fire forming .375 H&H cases (which I have one of as well  :) )  With slugs available from 200 to 600 grains, it's fairly versitle.  Tundra had one of my shells once to show a co-worker.  The guy asked what I hunted with it.  Tundra's response was "Anything that walks, crawls, swims or flies!" I use it as a charge stopper and now that I've shortened the barrell to 20" a survival rifle.  I still have hopes of one day making it to Africa for Cape buffalo....

Ok, now we return you to your regularly scheduled forum....
The average pilot, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring. These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2006, 08:16:00 AM »
Tundra had one of my shells once to show a co-worker.  The guy asked what I hunted with it.  Tundra's response was "Anything that walks, crawls, swims or flies!" I use it as a charge stopper and now that I've shortened the barrell to 20" a survival rifle.  I still have hopes of one day making it to Africa for Cape buffalo....

Yeah, and if you miss, the muzzle blast will still stun `em long enough for you get in a second round.  ;)

Actually at this point I'm thinking a Ma-duce swivel mount in my bay window, with spot light on the same.  Or maybe I'll be mean and just pick up a cheap lazer pointer to scare `em with.   ;D  A survey in the morning light showed more damage than I'd initially though, but at least it's off to the edge of the runway where it's not likely to be landed on.  There's a runway maintenance party tomorrow afternoon, I'll take my rake and shovel and replace the sod best as I can and try to pack it down again.  Hope they put in the fence between the runway and road soon.  Sigh...

Phil

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2006, 08:24:51 AM »
Yeah, and if you miss, the muzzle blast will still stun `em long enough for you get in a second round.  ;)

Actually at this point I'm thinking a Ma-duce swivel mount in my bay window, with spot light on the same.  Or maybe I'll be mean and just pick up a cheap lazer pointer to scare `em with.   ;D  A survey in the morning light showed more damage than I'd initially though, but at least it's off to the edge of the runway where it's not likely to be landed on.  There's a runway maintenance party tomorrow afternoon, I'll take my rake and shovel and replace the sod best as I can and try to pack it down again.  Hope they put in the fence between the runway and road soon.  Sigh...

Phil

Phil, get in chat.  ;)

Stinks about the runway,  some "tresspassers will be shot" signs maybe?  That or a coordinated set of flood lights that would light up as much of the runway area as possible, not just in front of your house.

Good luck, I'd offer to help, but I don't have any tools that'd be any use for that.  Unless you plan on installing those lights tomorrow too.  ;)

-Ryan
"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

fireflyr

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2006, 02:47:01 PM »
A .458 Lott is a .458 Winchester Magnum with afterburners  ;D  Very noisy since mine has a 20" Barrel and a muzzle break  ;)  Take a standard .458 and make it a half an inch longer in the case.  It was designed to duplicate the power of the .470 Nitro Express elephant rifle...it actually exceeds it by quite a bit.  I make my cases by "blowing out" and fire forming .375 H&H cases (which I have one of as well  :) )  With slugs available from 200 to 600 grains, it's fairly versitle.  Tundra had one of my shells once to show a co-worker.  The guy asked what I hunted with it.  Tundra's response was "Anything that walks, crawls, swims or flies!" I use it as a charge stopper and now that I've shortened the barrell to 20" a survival rifle.  I still have hopes of one day making it to Africa for Cape buffalo....

Ok, now we return you to your regularly scheduled forum....
EGADS!!!! :o   That puppy must put out a ball of flame big enough to attract a heat seeking missle from 10 miles!!
I had a 7MM with a short barrel for a survival gun and I thought it was a badass shooter................but your cannon exceeds anything I've ever attempted to deafen myself with!    How's your shoulder feel after after a few rounds?

fireflyr

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2006, 04:19:54 PM »
Speaking of how your shoulder feels, I'm reminded of the story about a reporter who asked a Marine sniper "what do you feel when you shoot a terrorist?"   His reply was "recoil".    Now that's succinct ! |:)\

Offline cj5_pilot

• Rooster
    • Alaskan Aviators
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2006, 05:45:19 PM »
Speaking of how your shoulder feels, I'm reminded of the story about a reporter who asked a Marine sniper "what do you feel when you shoot a terrorist?"   His reply was "recoil".    Now that's succinct ! |:)\

The muzzle break tames it down to '06 levels.  But without the break it's 50+ pounds of felt recoil.  An '06 is about 16 if I recall.  A .375 is about 35.  My .375 is having a break put on it as we speak  ;D  As far as noise goes I've got two examples for ya.  My last .375 had a KDF slimline break on it.  The range in Kenai has a covered shooting area about 100' long with about a dozen benches to shoot off of.  No side walls, just something to keep the rain off.  I showed up one day and there were two guys at one end setting up to do some practice competitve shooting with some tricked out  .308s.  Knowing I my muzzle blast was significant I set up at the far end.  I set up and by the third round I noticed they weren't shooting.  Turns out the muzzle blast was echoing so bad under that roof that they couldn't concentrate!  They also said something about the shockwave probably throwing off the flight path of their 168 gr boat tails  :P  The other example is when I loaned that self same rifle to my father for a hunt on Kodiak Island for Sitka blacktails.  He and the guy he was hunting with spotted some dear.  Dad swung the rifle up and aimed at the biggest buck.  The guy with him stepped up just in line with the side of the muzzle (not in front of the muzzle but still VERY dumb--behind the reciever is my policy) as Dad touched it off.  The deer went down and dad's hunting partner went down.  Dad thought for a minute the guy had actually been shot even though he was 3 feet to the side.  He was ok, but deaf in one ear for most of the rest of the day.  One last similar example is don't shoot one across the hood of a truck...will leave scorch marks in the paint!  The noise for the shooter isn't any worse then with a rifle without a break, but for the people to the sides it's significantly more. 

Here's a size reference:

Left to right:

.22 Stinger (LR)
.357 Magnum with 125gr Hydrashock
.44 Magnum with 232gr Hard Cast Keith type slug
.45 ACP with 230gr Golden Saber
.22-250 with 55gr Sierra Gameking BTSP
.270 with 130gr Speer (practice load)
.32 Winchester Special with 170 Gr Speer flat point (practice load)
.375 H&H with 270gr Barnes Triple Shock
.458 Lott with 500gr Barnes Triple Shock
.458 Lott with 400gr Barnes Monolithic Solid

They don't make the 400gr Solid anymore, just 450 and 500.  I'll be going to the 500.  There is a little over 6000 ft-lbs of energy at the muzzle.

With the muzzle break, it's fun to fire at night  ;D  I'll have to do that and post a pic sometime.

Offline chuckar101

• Rooster
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2006, 04:47:26 PM »
Thats a lot of fire power your carrying, looks like fun ;D.  What kind of damage did that round do to the blacktail.  Looks a little big for a blacktail to me.
WOW I did that!

Offline cj5_pilot

• Rooster
    • Alaskan Aviators
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2006, 05:30:06 PM »
Thats a lot of fire power your carrying, looks like fun ;D.  What kind of damage did that round do to the blacktail.  Looks a little big for a blacktail to me.

Blacktail aren't the only thing on Kodiak island.  They have some mighty big Brown Bear and it's a fairly dense population of them.  The added firepower is for them not the deer  ;D  You won't believe how big a an 8' or 9' bear looks up close and how little that rifle looks  ;)