Author Topic: Trust, but verify  (Read 19333 times)

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
Re: Trust, but verify
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2007, 09:39:39 PM »
Well, the Captain is responsible for everything that is going on and he/she has to ensure that the preflight-check on an airliner is done, but he/she can delegate that duty to the SFO or FO.

Regarding "Trust, but verify": We drain our fuel tanks every time before we go on a flight. Leaving our home base in the early morning this seems like a pretty logical thing to do, especially when you keep in mind that the fueler sometimes forgets to refuel your aircraft (we have about ten aircraft and more coming home in the evening at the same time, so it happens that the fueler oversees one). Anyway, when we stop on a cross-country, have a break and get some fuel, we drain again. I never ever noticed something unusual and you would think everything is okay, cause you already drained in the morning and I have often asked me why we have to do that every time again and again. How suprised was I, when I found out on our break that we had quite some water in the one tank today! This really shows that you can not trust something because it seemed to have worked so far, but need to check again every single time...

Cheers,

Felix

I tell my students it takes less than a minute to sump the tanks, so why not do it.  I'm a big fan of sumping even if you don't get fuel.  You never know when that last hard landing might shake up some water stuck in a pocket somewhere.
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2007, 10:40:04 PM »
Heh heh DonYan, now you have me thinking I am part MEXICAN as well!!    ::bow::  Gibbo helped me figure out I am part Aussie last night -- my chromosomes suddenly turned a neon pink when he mentioned Crown Lagers.   ::bow::

I admit, there've been a few nights of your "therapy" AND I can also vouch it practically GUARANTEES a fire call the next morning....!!!   >:D

Of course, I am usually at the Nunnery, deep in meditation and prayer.  ["oh please, keep spinning my little turbines, especially down at squirrel-level...."]

::wave::
Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2007, 03:43:51 AM »
I couldn't get the Nun to acknowledge me.  HA, story of my life!!  She obviously knows I am beyond redemption.    ::angel::
Don't make me come back there!!!!