Author Topic: Trust, but verify  (Read 19315 times)

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
Re: Trust, but verify
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2006, 06:53:27 PM »
I forgot to lock my garage one day in Grand Forks.  Came down the next morning to find wires hanging out from behind the airbag in my pick-up.  Filed a police report and everything, but knew they'd never catch the guy(s).  All they took was my nice Mag-Lite and some candy I keep in the glove box for long trips.  Got started thinking afterwards that it would have been pretty cool to find some unconcious guy in my front seat with the airbag deployed.  Dumb @$$ didn't understand that the airbag and ignition are different systems.
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2006, 10:47:10 PM »
That's so awful!!!   >:(

It's hard to believe what people can do..  no doubt that going through life like that will end up coming right back to him!  Sorry that it happened to you!   :(

As to the original thread, "trust but verify", of course as pilots we do what we can to verify everything, within the scope of our abilities, but there are some things we have to take on faith...  when an airplane comes out of its inspection and I am going to be in it later that afternoon, at 100 feet above the trees, I am relying on the word of my mechanics, and the incredible skill they have gained over the years.  How do I know the internal workings of those engines are "just right" when I take off with new nozzles?  I don't, of course.  But, I have the grins of the competent people that gave her back to me that morning, to go on.

I appreciate so much about aviation, but I am forever indebted to the fine people who do the maintenance, and receive far fewer kudos than they should.  My hat is off to them.   |:)\   |:)\   |:)\
Don't make me come back there!!!!

fireflyr

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2006, 04:05:19 PM »
Its quite amazing what people will steal out there and then our reactions.  I have had several gas caps stole off my truck.  So I went out and bought a locking cap and always check if its there before i leave.  Anybody else pick up any little quirks after something has been stolen from them.
Yeah, like shoving headsets under the seats when I park my airplane---locked or not!

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2006, 03:06:36 AM »
Yeah, like shoving headsets under the seats when I park my airplane---locked or not!

When I was doing my flight training we'd leave headsets on the dash etc etc.... but we'd never be gone too long.  Longest would be if we went to grab some food from a resturant on a cross country... or got stuck sleeping in the FBO due to Wx.   We did take the keys with us though...
"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline Voidhawk9

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2006, 07:16:51 PM »
When I was doing my flight training we'd leave headsets on the dash
Bad! Windows get scratched!  :o

;)

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2006, 07:14:46 PM »
When I was doing my flight training we'd leave headsets on the dash
Bad! Windows get scratched!  :o

;)

Not his plane.   ;)
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2006, 07:15:10 PM »
Not his plane.   ;)

Hahaha!

Not like we could have made them any worse.   :D

With the 1900 the wing window latch works great as a headset holder.  ;)

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
  • It's not an old plane, it's a classic!
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2006, 01:14:04 AM »
Its quite amazing what people will steal out there and then our reactions.  I have had several gas caps stole off my truck.  So I went out and bought a locking cap and always check if its there before i leave.  Anybody else pick up any little quirks after something has been stolen from them.

After landing and shutting down the other day, I started unhooking my head sets and packing everything back into my flight bag.  Then I woke up!  Hung the headsets on the yoke, tossed my kneeboard on the dash and left my GPS velcro'ed to the glare shield.  Then pushed the plane into the hangar and locked the door.   8)  When I was tieing down at international I didn't leave anything of value in the plane.  Not even my survival or tool kit.

undatc

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2007, 11:46:56 PM »
I don't think I've ever seen a captain do a walk around, but I almost always see the FO doing it.  I guess thats the job perks of being an FO.  I always feel sorry for the FO's of the DC-9s that fly into GFK when the wind chill is like -70 or so.

fireflyr

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2007, 12:22:02 AM »
Don't care who does it just as long as it's done, most major carriers have the FO doin' it but the Captain can excercise his rank to handle it himself--that's why he called "Captain" |:)\

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2007, 11:44:30 PM »
It veries by company rules.  Most companies have preflight listed as a F/O responsibility, but a few have the Captain do it.  Generally, it's best not to pull rank to change someone's standard duties.  It's frowned upon as it can result in both people thinking the other did the preflight.

It's much more common for the F/O to be doing it than the Captain.   Also keep in mind that the most in depth checks only have to be preformed before the first flight of the day.

Offline Africaspotter

• Aviation and airports in Southern Africa
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2007, 05:35:16 AM »
Well, the Captain is responsible for everything that is going on and he/she has to ensure that the preflight-check on an airliner is done, but he/she can delegate that duty to the SFO or FO.

Regarding "Trust, but verify": We drain our fuel tanks every time before we go on a flight. Leaving our home base in the early morning this seems like a pretty logical thing to do, especially when you keep in mind that the fueler sometimes forgets to refuel your aircraft (we have about ten aircraft and more coming home in the evening at the same time, so it happens that the fueler oversees one). Anyway, when we stop on a cross-country, have a break and get some fuel, we drain again. I never ever noticed something unusual and you would think everything is okay, cause you already drained in the morning and I have often asked me why we have to do that every time again and again. How suprised was I, when I found out on our break that we had quite some water in the one tank today! This really shows that you can not trust something because it seemed to have worked so far, but need to check again every single time...

Cheers,

Felix
Africaspotter - Aviation and airports in Southern Africa http://www.africaspotter.at.tt
New: African Aviation Forum at http://www.africa.cwsurf.de/Forum

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2007, 06:11:03 AM »
We firmly believe in the Captain alone being 100% responsible for EVERYTHING associated with each flight.  It's one of the first lessons the new jumpers are taught.     ;)

I was personally responsible for several dozen jumpers missing the jumpspot last season, including the tree-slammers, and especially the guy who forgot his eyeglasses and smacked into a 7-foot-tall cactus.     ::knockedout::

::rofl::

Offline FlyboyGil

• Alpha Rooster
  • AW, CRAP!!!
    • MYSPACE!!!
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2007, 02:29:49 PM »
We firmly believe in the Captain alone being 100% responsible for EVERYTHING associated with each flight.  It's one of the first lessons the new jumpers are taught.     ;)

I was personally responsible for several dozen jumpers missing the jumpspot last season, including the tree-slammers, and especially the guy who forgot his eyeglasses and smacked into a 7-foot-tall cactus.     ::knockedout::

::rofl::

That's quite the prickly situation, isn't it?
IF YOU CAN'T SAY ANYTHING NICE, YOU'RE PROBABLY AT THE ICE CAPADES

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2007, 07:16:17 PM »
Boy you got THAT right...  sometimes they're still digging out those nasty thorns weeks after they get impaled.  It gets ugly!   >:(

The guy that forgot his glasses (they were safely packed away in his gear bag but he didn't have time to dig them out before he was in the door), is one of the FUNNIEST people I have ever met.  When we saw him again, he was doing a hilarious imitation of himself, under canopy and about 20 feet up, trying to focus on "these kinda dark blobs"...   he showed us his wild contortions before landing as he tried to miss all the huge cacti...  it was SO funny, even though he really had some bad punctures.   

So...  anytime things go to hell, they just blame the pilot.  Works great!!!!!!!!!!!    ::rofl::