Author Topic: Only in Alaska...  (Read 12715 times)

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
Re: Only in Alaska...
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2006, 02:00:32 AM »
I heard a saying once:  "Grumman and deHavilland never made a bad airplane."  I'd have to agree!

I've only been to Alaska a few times, but the sound of all those round engines is definitely a good part of the lasting memories I have.

It's a great shot of a gorgeous airplane -- thanks for posting it!!

|:)\ |:)\ |:)\
Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2006, 04:56:05 AM »
I've only been to Alaska a few times, but the sound of all those round engines is definitely a good part of the lasting memories I have.

Everts was doing training in one of their DC-6s today,  it's really cool to see a DC-6 practicing a go around.  ;)

The one they were using was "Spirit of America" in case anyone familiar with the company is curious.

BTW, I shot an NDB-DME approach today, including a DME arc off the NDB.  That was interesting.   I prefer the GPS approaches that we normally shoot.  ;)
It did work out picture perfect though.  ;)
"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline cj5_pilot

• Rooster
  • "Fly Fast, Fly Low, Turn Left"
    • Alaskan Aviators
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2006, 04:54:45 PM »
A buddy of mine is a Captain for Everets.  He prefers to fly the C-46 over all their other aircraft. For a while he was flying 22Mike out of Kenai.  Many a time did I get to watch them big ole radials start up while I was preflighting a 152 or 172 since Everets was right next to the flying club I used to fly with  ;D 
The average pilot, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring. These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2006, 08:14:45 AM »
A buddy of mine is a Captain for Everets.  He prefers to fly the C-46 over all their other aircraft. For a while he was flying 22Mike out of Kenai.  Many a time did I get to watch them big ole radials start up while I was preflighting a 152 or 172 since Everets was right next to the flying club I used to fly with  ;D 

Those are some neat planes there.  I love the old aircraft myself..  ;)    NAC is next to us at Fairbanks, with Everts past them.

You know, Everts has ads out looking for pilots, f/o's and f/e's  ;)

"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"