Author Topic: Only in Alaska...  (Read 12752 times)

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
Only in Alaska...
« on: September 12, 2006, 02:52:11 AM »
Could they tie in a new car commercial to hunting.

Seriously, the first line of the commercial isn't even about the cars, it's about hunting.  The salesman is in cammo standing in the dealer parking lot through the entire thing...   Even in Georgia they didn't think they could get away with that. ;)      I'm not saying it's a bad commercial.  Just that one of my room mates made a comment about it and I started to think about that.  I never saw a car commercial that seemed to concentrate almost as much on hunting as cars before.  ;)

Was it here that I saw posted the four seasons of Alaska?    Winter, Breakup, Smoke, Hunting....

Speaking of winter...  I went and bought winter gear today (my Georgia winter gear has been what I've been using for "summer" on the north slope).... yeah, I spent  way too much on winter gear and I just feel "adequately prepared" now for winter... I'm going to die when it's 40 or 50 below in barrow with the 30-40 kt winds...   :o
« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 03:06:20 AM by Baradium »
"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline cj5_pilot

• Rooster
  • "Fly Fast, Fly Low, Turn Left"
    • Alaskan Aviators
Re: Only in Alaska...
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 05:24:56 PM »
Heh, we plan our staffing around hunting season.  Sales of building supplies drops off sharply August 20th and picks back up again around the end of September...and October is our buisest month as everybody tries to finish off the outside of the house before winter!  Heck if you go in to the Arctic Cat shop in Wasilla the accessories brochure has more hunting gear for 4 wheelers in it then anything else  ;D

If you make it to Wasilla stop by the Windbreak Cafe....totally devoted to trout fishing...it's informaly known as "Trout's Place".

What is really wild is on my 5 hour drive Wasilla to Delta Junction (my annual hunting trip) on the last day of August I go from Summer in Wasilla to Snow in Delta generally :)
The average pilot, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring. These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 06:45:46 PM »
Hahaha!   That makes it easier to get off for hunting season too then, doesn't it?  ;)

I hope delta isn't too cold end of this month when I'm going down there for fishing.  It's a good bit closer to Fairbanks than Wasilla though.   ;)

Offline cj5_pilot

• Rooster
    • Alaskan Aviators
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 08:17:46 PM »
That time of year unless we get some Indian summer you'll be seeing lows in the high twenties probably and getting up to around 40 ish would be my bet.  Where ya gonna fish?
The average pilot, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring. These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 08:27:36 PM »
That time of year unless we get some Indian summer you'll be seeing lows in the high twenties probably and getting up to around 40 ish would be my bet.  Where ya gonna fish?

I'm actually not sure on the specifics.  Keep hearing clearwater too, but I think that's just what he calls it.  I'm not setting it all up so I'm taking it day by day.  ;)

Offline cj5_pilot

• Rooster
    • Alaskan Aviators
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 08:52:37 PM »
Tundra fishes the Delta/Clearwater area quite a bit.  He can probably set you up with some info.

Only fishing I did this year was on the Quasar (a friends 40 foot boat) in Seward for Silver Salmon (Coho).  We caught a few, had some fun.  Didn't get the float tube out at all this year and my fly rods look awfully neglected.

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2006, 09:19:54 PM »
Tundra fishes the Delta/Clearwater area quite a bit.  He can probably set you up with some info.

Only fishing I did this year was on the Quasar (a friends 40 foot boat) in Seward for Silver Salmon (Coho).  We caught a few, had some fun.  Didn't get the float tube out at all this year and my fly rods look awfully neglected.

We've gotta be careful where we go because we're using a service of Wainwright (the army base in Fairbanks) since I'm going with retired military guys.  So there will be a "guide" driving the boat (they decided it'd be cheaper than renting one)... also means we are probobly going to avoid more of the "special" spots because anywhere we go will eventually becom public knowledge.   At this point I think renting would be cheaper, but they're worried I might have to head back to fairbanks with my truck before their trip is over and if they had to rent a pickup instead of a regular car it'd up the cost a lot.

The fun is the important part, right?   I'm also hoping to have some fish to at least start the winter with!   Next year maybe I can do some hunting and get some meat too... ;)

Offline happylanding

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2006, 09:43:40 PM »
Speaking of winter...  I went and bought winter gear today (my Georgia winter gear has been what I've been using for "summer" on the north slope).... yeah, I spent  way too much on winter gear and I just feel "adequately prepared" now for winter... I'm going to die when it's 40 or 50 below in barrow with the 30-40 kt winds...   :o

Oh my! don't talk about winter yet, pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease! :) we had a naughty august, where temperatures dropped to 20 degrees and at the end of it rose again to 30ish. even if I'm not living it, being in London, on Sunday here was quite hot and in a week and something hasn't rained yet (or it could have but I was in class!). this morning was the first one in a quite long row I did need a pullover.....
I give that landing a 9 . . . on the Richter scale.

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2006, 09:49:42 PM »
Oh my! don't talk about winter yet, pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease! :) we had a naughty august, where temperatures dropped to 20 degrees and at the end of it rose again to 30ish. even if I'm not living it, being in London, on Sunday here was quite hot and in a week and something hasn't rained yet (or it could have but I was in class!). this morning was the first one in a quite long row I did need a pullover.....

I was trying to ignore, but my bank account says otherwise  :(   

That's kind of chilly... it's still t-shirt weather during the day in Fairbanks.

Offline cj5_pilot

• Rooster
    • Alaskan Aviators
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2006, 11:48:50 PM »

When you said 20 degrees I went "Huh?"  And then remembered to think C not F  ;D  It was getting down to 32 F  when I was hunting in Delta, but the day time temp was pushing 60 F.  We've had a cool, wet summer after an awesome spring and early summer.  About another month I'll be thinking about dragging out the snow tires for the Super Duty and Explorer.  Oh, and digging out my snowshoes for the winter time activities.  Generally we have snow by Halloween.

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
  • It's not an old plane, it's a classic!
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2006, 06:17:16 AM »

Actually I've only fished the Delta Clearwater once, and found the fishing to only be OK.  Have generally done better in the Chatanika, especially late in the season like this.  But he may be going to the Richardson Clearwater, which is across the Tanana down near Quartz lake.  Access is by jet boat or float plane.  That's suppose to be some awsome grayling fishing.

Phil

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2006, 11:45:00 PM »

Actually I've only fished the Delta Clearwater once, and found the fishing to only be OK.  Have generally done better in the Chatanika, especially late in the season like this.  But he may be going to the Richardson Clearwater, which is across the Tanana down near Quartz lake.  Access is by jet boat or float plane.  That's suppose to be some awsome grayling fishing.

Phil

We're going after Coho.  This guy has maxed out every day he goes each year for the past 10 years, so he has a good idea where to go.  This is the first time he hasn't had a boat to himself though.  A guy being there driving it might mean we can't go to his special spots...

Saw a moose in town yesterday.  Right off the highway munching on grass.  ;)     I also hear that the float pond at the airport has some massive pike in it.

Offline cj5_pilot

• Rooster
    • Alaskan Aviators
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2006, 02:03:39 AM »
Pike aren't fish.  There alligators with very short legs  ;)

Silver salmon in September?  That's wild.  Awfully late in the year, but you are WAY further upstream then where I fish.  Good luck bro and don't forget piX!

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2006, 02:38:53 AM »

Silver salmon in September?  That's wild.  Awfully late in the year, but you are WAY further upstream then where I fish.  Good luck bro and don't forget piX!

Hahahah!  Pike are definately something else.   Don't fall into the float pond.  ;)

Well, they aren't silver anymore.  ;)   Makes for some beautiful wall mounts if you are into that type of thing.   As far as eating, you have to check each fish when you catch it.  They are good eating, but the flesh has to be right.  Probobly 1 out of every 20 fish tests bad.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2006, 02:41:51 AM by Baradium »

Offline FB41

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2006, 12:19:14 PM »

Alligators HAVE short legs- pike are alligators that snarled at God. (We have lots of gators here in Florida and pike where I grew up as a boy).