Author Topic: "9/11" anniversary  (Read 8660 times)

Offline FB41

"9/11" anniversary
« on: September 11, 2006, 09:15:25 PM »
Today being the fifth anniversary of the terrorist attacks on the WTC, when you go out and celebrate your skills today, let's all of us remember that people are much more sensitive about flying today, so be sure to be an ambassador for aviation, even more so than normal.

I had people today spouting knee-jerk nonsense about banning GA planed and other stupidity. A big sigh and a few calm words later, those folks saw the light.

Of course, the media isn't helping any...

Offline switchtech

• Cockerel
  • Climb, Communicate, Confess, Comply
    • SwitchTech's home page
Re: "9/11" anniversary
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 02:28:53 AM »
AOPA has a good web site for defending General Aviation (http://www.gaservingamerica.org/) primarily aimed at the United States.  I used the information on their web site to do a presentation shortly after 9/11 for a college speech class (Spring of 2002).  I helps to have that kind of information handy when confronted by general-aviation-phobes.

The media makes money selling controversy - playing fair with GA isn't part of their plan to pay the bills.  That's why we need to spread the word (not that anyone sees it but I link to the GA Serving America site (and ChickenWingsComics..:) on my web page) and to be good ambassadors for aviation.

Go out and have fun, but be aware we're under a microscope and any misdeeds will be broadcast on the evening news.

The sky and land joined for one brief moment, then we flew - the ground a receding memory for just a little while.

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 10:04:43 PM »
The media makes money selling controversy - playing fair with GA isn't part of their plan to pay the bills.  That's why we need to spread the word (not that anyone sees it but I link to the GA Serving America site (and ChickenWingsComics..:) on my web page) and to be good ambassadors for aviation.

First Thanks for linking to us!  |:)\

We also fight for preserving GA and have approached the  AOPA numerous times about joining forces and working on a more humorous approach to raise awareness. They keep ignoring us, but we'll keep trying.
Sometimes people just don't take you very seriously when you draw cartoons... :P
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline cj5_pilot

• Rooster
  • "Fly Fast, Fly Low, Turn Left"
    • Alaskan Aviators
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2006, 02:08:45 AM »

First Thanks for linking to us!  |:)\

We also fight for preserving GA and have approached the  AOPA numerous times about joining forces and working on a more humorous approach to raise awareness. They keep ignoring us, but we'll keep trying.
Sometimes people just don't take you very seriously when you draw cartoons... :P

Or write fanfictions about em  :P  Thing is AOPA does there thing and that is that.  I think EAA is FAR more effective then AOPA.  Though I don't currently belong to either, my money would go to EAA first.  'Course I'm a dinosaur  ;D
The average pilot, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring. These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2006, 03:08:12 AM »

Or write fanfictions about em  :P  Thing is AOPA does there thing and that is that.  I think EAA is FAR more effective then AOPA.  Though I don't currently belong to either, my money would go to EAA first.  'Course I'm a dinosaur  ;D

I'm curious what EAA does other than I'm aware of.   Where I did my training in TN they did do Young Eagles as well as a fly in breakfast each month.  I agree that it is effective and a good thing to do.

However, I don't know they qualify as "far more" effective than the political action AOPA does.

I believe they are both effective organizations.  As discussed in another post,  I'm hoping to get involved with the local EAA here this fall, but that doesn't mean I want to withdraw from AOPA membership. 

-Ryan
AOPA 04451841 :P
"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
  • It's not an old plane, it's a classic!
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2006, 07:10:21 AM »
I agree with Ryan on AOPA, I've heard almost nothing but good about them.  I belong to EAA but not AOPA because I fee AOPA tends to emphasize the commercial end of aviation, while EAA's focus is more on the recreational side.  However, there's some definite overlap.

Phil

Offline FB41

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2006, 12:11:43 PM »
I agree with Ryan on AOPA, I've heard almost nothing but good about them.  I belong to EAA but not AOPA because I fee AOPA tends to emphasize the commercial end of aviation, while EAA's focus is more on the recreational side.  However, there's some definite overlap.

Phil

The one thing AOPA harps on is commercial aviation wanting to put us out of the skies. They are the NRA of aviation; the largest and most powerful aviation lobby. ATA and other commercial aviation organizations try to keep AOPA out of touch with government agencies because they don't feel they have their best interest at heart.

The truth is they support ALL aviation, but weigh heavily on the side of the little guys... US!

I am an EAA member and an AOPA member; both have their place.

Offline spacer

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2006, 01:15:16 PM »
Ergh, if they're the NRA of aviation, they'll struggle a little, then accept defeat, forgetting all about the fight.
I would hope they'd be more like the JPFO or GOA. Awright, I'm just nitpicking now, but I have to work on Saturday
and had to vent. CHeers!
 |:)\

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2006, 04:17:14 AM »

Phil

AOPA focusing on the "commercial" end of aviation?!   That's a good one!

Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association.  ;)    They emphasize *General* aviation.  Recreational flying is included in that, airlines aren't. :P       

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2006, 04:18:36 AM »
Psst, AOPA members, I went to the Members' section of the website and sent an e-mail to "Pilot" magazine asking about maybe getting a certain comic strip in it.   If you'd like to see the same, e-mail too!  ;)

Offline switchtech

• Cockerel
  • Climb, Communicate, Confess, Comply
    • SwitchTech's home page
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2006, 04:50:04 AM »
Psst, AOPA members, I went to the Members' section of the website and sent an e-mail to "Pilot" magazine asking about maybe getting a certain comic strip in it.   If you'd like to see the same, e-mail too!  ;)

We might be reaching the point this should be its own thread - but I just dropped AOPA an email suggesting a little humor would be a good thing - and suggested a likely source of said humor ;)

jbs
The sky and land joined for one brief moment, then we flew - the ground a receding memory for just a little while.

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2006, 05:09:05 AM »
As long as it gets done, who cares what thread it's in.  ;)

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2006, 05:15:49 PM »
Wow guys! That's really awesome!
Thanks for doing that, I REALLY appreciate it (*insert blushing smiley, holding back a tear*)  |:)\ |:)\

We'll see. Maybe if they hear it enough, they might welcome us with open arms next time....
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

fireflyr

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2006, 06:02:53 PM »
I'll mention it next time I do lunch with Phil :-*---Seriously though, I dropped them a line too! |:)\

Offline FB41

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2006, 01:44:49 AM »
As long as it gets done, who cares what thread it's in.  ;)

Since I initiated the thread, I probably oughtta complain... but I won't. ;D

Like Baradium said, who cares what thread as long as it's done.

Besides, even though Chuck is a goon sometimes(?), he's a great aviation ambassador.