Author Topic: "Crocodile Hunter" killed by stingray  (Read 5622 times)

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
"Crocodile Hunter" killed by stingray
« on: September 04, 2006, 08:07:12 AM »
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,212037,00.html

Report: 'Crocodile Hunter' Steve Irwin Killed by Stingray
Monday, September 04, 2006

PHOTOS

Click image to enlarge
STORIES

BRISBANE, Australia — Steve Irwin, the Australian television personality and environmentalist known as the "Crocodile Hunter," was killed Monday by a stingray during a diving expedition, Australian media said. He was 44.

Irwin was filming an underwater documentary on the Great Barrier Reef in northeastern Queensland state when the accident occurred, Sydney's The Daily Telegraph newspaper reported on its Web site.

The Australian Broadcasting Corp. said Irwin was diving near Low Isles near the resort town of Port Douglas, about 1,260 miles north of Brisbane.

A helicopter carrying paramedics flew to the island, but he died from a stingray barb to the heart, ABC reported on its Web site.

Telephone calls to Australia Zoo, Irwin's zoo in southern Queensland, were not immediately answered.

Irwin is famous for his enthusiasm for wildlife and his catchcry "Crikey!" in his television program "Crocodile Hunter," which was first broadcast in Australia in 1992 and has aired around the world on the Discovery channel.

He rode his image into a feature film, and developed the Australia Zoo as a tourist attraction.

Irwin had received some negative publicity in recent years. In January 2004, he stunned onlookers at his Australia Zoo reptile park by carrying his 1-year-old son into a crocodile pen during a wildlife show. He tucked the infant under one arm while tossing the 13-foot reptile a piece of meat with the other.

Authorities declined to charge Irwin for violating safety regulations.

Later that year, he was accused of getting too close to penguins, a seal and humpback whales in Antarctica while making a documentary. Irwin denied any wrongdoing, and an Australian Environment Department investigation recommended no action be taken against him.

"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
Re: "Crocodile Hunter" killed by stingray
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 08:22:09 AM »
http://www.jerrylabella.com/stingray.html

Some information on stingrays.

It's been mentioned that it's almost ironic that he was killed by a stingray since they are generally considered docile and usually don't attack people.
"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

Offline Plthijnx

• Alpha Rooster
  • My da*n easy button's broken. Can I borrow yours?
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2006, 03:30:58 PM »
yeah, my g/f was telling me that she used to swim with stingrays down in i think it was belize. very ironic and sad what happened to steve. my sympathys to his friends and family.
The three best things in life are a good landing, a good orgasm, and a good bowel movement. The night carrier landing is one of the few opportunities in life to experience all three at the same time. - Unknown

Offline Callisto

• Cockerel
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2006, 06:18:37 PM »
It is sad, and my condolences go out to his family.

But if you've ever seen his show, I'm sure he was messing with one and as docile as they are, it had enough of "OOO Look at this BEAUTY!!!"
If not completely satisfied with this post, return unused portion for full refund.

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 05:10:54 AM »
Man, I am bummed!
He was a good guy. Did a lot for the environment and the animal kingdom.
We have lost a true icon in my mind...
...you could kind of see it coming though, don't you think? Although I always thought it's gonna be an alligator...
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

fireflyr

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2006, 08:05:02 AM »
Or a brown snake---
too bad though, his was a real wide eyed kind of innnocent approach to wildlife.. :-\

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
  • It's not an old plane, it's a classic!
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2006, 03:37:37 PM »
Re-watched his movie last night in tribute, and wish I had cable, Discovery is doing a marathon of his shows this week.  Steve Irwin was a rare breed these days, he loved the animals, but had no illusions about what they were, or what they were capable of.  Unlike, say, a certain self proclaimed bear expert that got munched in Alaska a couple years ago. ;)  Irwin will be sorely missed.

Phil

Offline cj5_pilot

• Rooster
  • "Fly Fast, Fly Low, Turn Left"
    • Alaskan Aviators
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2006, 02:33:01 AM »
His death is a major bummer, but my wife pointed something out.  He died doing what he loved to do.  A lot to be said about that.

Strangely enough one of my co-workers is a online gamer and plays WoW.  He was on Ventrillo (an internet voice chat program) and they were talking about it.  Some guy logged on and said "What?  Steve Irwin died?".  He was told yes, and he said "That's my uncle".  Said person logged off and came back a few minutes later saying "It's true, Uncle Steve is dead!".  He went on to wonder how he had to find out on the internet that this had happened.  No telling if this person was telling the truth (my co-worker swears this is how the conversation went, and he has no profit in lying to me), but if that's true then the internet just scared me even more.

Mr. Irwin will be sorely missed.  Such a great respect for animals, yet as Tundra said, no illusions about what they were.  His brand of unassuming humor was incredible as well.  Though he didn't say it, I'll always love the line from "Crocodile Hunter" when the one spook is looking up river and goes "The binoculars have picked up the Discovery Channel!"   ;D  I know his shows have sparked an interest in wildlife in my daughter.  Many a night we've sat down and watched one of Steve's programs.
The average pilot, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring. These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

Offline Callisto

• Cockerel
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2006, 06:06:39 PM »
I heard (not confirmed, it was on the radio) that long before this stingray event happened Steve wanted the video (if available) to be broadcast for everyone to see what happened. Discovery channel has stated they are refusing to air the video. But if it was aired (or available on the net, which I only assume will happen sooner or later) will you watch it?

I'm on the fence, however leaning to the side of watching it. If it was Steve's wish, then all the more reason to see it. But I think it would be interesting to witness what really happened.
If not completely satisfied with this post, return unused portion for full refund.

fireflyr

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2006, 08:33:01 PM »
Don't believe I'd want to watch---there is nothing pleasant about watching someone get killed, believe me when I say that there is nothing to be learned from this! :( :( :(

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2006, 12:36:49 AM »
I am with Jim on this.
I have see people die, not much fun. I hope they don't show it. We should remember him
as the great animal lover he was who fought for wildlife and made an impact as one of the
most "motivated" TV personalities out there rather than some guy who got nailed in the chest....
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2006, 10:51:40 AM »
I guess his intention was to show people how dangerous animals are, but I don't need to see him die to know that so I won't, although it already seems like some people have that video online from some headlines I've seen.
But danish tv aren't being friendly, the only clip they show of him was with him at the crocodiles with his son on his arm, that's not nice, they could've shown so many other clips.

RIP Steve
Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Firegirl

• Cockerel
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2006, 07:08:11 PM »
How many people actually get killed by stingrays???

I have never even heard of that....
When I first got the news I though a croc got a hold of him.
If you ever reach total enlightenment while drinking beer, I bet you could shoot beer out of you nose.  --- Jack Handy