Author Topic: Attention Spammers!  (Read 15082 times)

Offline Stef

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
    • Chicken Wings
Attention Spammers!
« on: August 20, 2006, 10:34:01 AM »
Save yourself (and us) the time!

We usually discover and delete spam messages within an hour or two, sometimes within minutes. So your messages will be deleted before more than two people see it and nobody would click on your stupid links anyway.

Offline spacer

• Alpha Rooster
Re: Attention Spammers!
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2006, 01:39:52 PM »
Yeah, Spammers go home!

Now, if you REALLY want a good source for V!@gra, click here....

:o

Offline Stef

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
    • Chicken Wings
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 08:42:31 AM »
So, now I've changed some options, so that new members will have to activate their account via Email before they can start posting. I should have thought of that earlier... That should help a bit in reducing spam, since they usually use fake Email addresses.  ;D

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 09:47:20 AM »
Way to go Stef, and don't worry about why you didn't think about it earlier, better late than never and you live as long as you learn, at least those quotes work in my life  |:)\

Frank

P.S. Thanks for the email and the link to the japanese language site |:)\
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2007, 12:03:27 PM »
sorry about the last one guys...
I think our increasing popularity might be the downfall here....

I start every morning with deleting those posts . . . not so much fun  ::banghead::
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline happylanding

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2007, 12:17:00 PM »
No worries Mike! it happens, and surely popularity has a lot to do with this increase!  |:)\
I give that landing a 9 . . . on the Richter scale.

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2007, 12:32:04 PM »
I got 12 accounts ID'ed as spammers, and I checked everyone with one post or less, of the ones with a visible email adress that is. If you want the list just ask. I already emailed stef yesterday so I thought I'd wait as to not flood him, or you Mike, but I want to mention that I have the list made.

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2007, 01:07:54 PM »
I would say, post the list here so everybody can keep an eye out.
Or is this a bad idea?!

Thanks for taking the time Frank!  (unfortunately I have very little at the moment....)
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2007, 01:48:14 PM »
Np, I got some time to use for waiting and resting and this I could do even while resting, besides it's for a great cause  |:)\

I think I'd rather pm you the list now that I'm sure you recieve the pm's because one of the points that some later bots use is to have the email and name listed in memberlists so they get listed on search engines so the best thing to due is to erase them from the list totally and put the email adresses on the ban list also some email domains too.

Please tell me when you get the pm to confirm you got it, and about the user-fee AOPA action I pm'ed about then I'll just search the forum here later.

Greetings  |:)\ ::wave::
Frank
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2007, 02:52:25 PM »
Ok to make sure nothing unjust would happend than I double checked my list so I could write a descrption for all accounts and I found that one probably wasn't a spammer after all since it was only seen on two sites and while it was posting a peom or something then no alarm bells where raised, and no results on the email. Another one that clearly seemed to be a spammer has disappeared from the list since last night.

I've posted the list in a pm to you now Mike, and there's a link to a list of spammer nicks, emails and IP adresses from another forum I found while searching for one of the spammers.

Hope it helps  ::wave::
Frank
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Herk Fixer

• Oklahoma Wreckchasing
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2007, 01:39:16 AM »
You have my sympathies, guys, for having to deal with the spam!  I, too, have a forum (phpBB2) associated with my website; spam was a real problem.  Fourtunately, an enterprising individual developed a perfect mod for the forum; completely eliminated the spam!  I did a Google search for anti-spam mods for SMF, and found this:  http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?action=search;basic_search=Spam

Several anti-spam mods have been made....one of them should be able to help out.
The Tower!?  The Tower!?  Rapunzel!  Rapunzel! - Johnny

Offline Panzerrat

• Cockerel
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2007, 06:42:31 AM »
I have to admit that while I was sorry to see the last one show up here, I just had to laugh!  Talk about a non sequiter (sp).
"You call this bad? I'll tell you what bad is....Bad is passing test depth at 80 feet per second with a thirty degree down bubble. Compared to that, this is a walk in the park.”