Author Topic: A&P, what kind of savings for an owner?  (Read 9955 times)

Offline wbarnhill

• CAVU but no $ to fly.
A&P, what kind of savings for an owner?
« on: August 11, 2006, 07:38:39 PM »
So I found out a school nearby has an FAA A&P course, and I could start taking night classes and be able to take the A&P exam in 2 years.  Question is, if I become an aircraft owner, what kind of savings are we talking about?  In other words, is it "worth" it to get certified?

fireflyr

Re: A&P, what kind of savings for an owner?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2006, 08:49:05 PM »
Depends, it's a big asset if you are going to fly for a living--just ask Mike.  But if you were only going to maintain your own airplane I wouldn't think so :-[

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2006, 06:37:42 PM »
Tundraflyer just spent $7000 on an annual for a C-150. I am sure some of it was labor.

Getting your A&P is always a good idea. Even if you don't use it for your own plane, you have practically learned a new profession to fall back on (i.e. if you lose your medical or something)
Our helicopter A&P's here in LA start with $17 per hour and some of them make as much as $40 per hour (that's in California though)
It's helping me out tremedously here in the desert and even some of the Airtanker pilots here are A&P's as well.
On top of that I learned a lot more about aviation and planes than I would have ever learned just flying them. Understanding how everything works helps you as a pilot as well.

The only way I could afford my own plane is if I work on it myself, I ran the numbers when I was looking (see respective thread)

I can only say: "go for it"!

But keep in mind that this rating is a little harder to get than your PPL. People often underestimate that. There is no "I'll just get my A&P real quick while I am in school..."
If you have never done anything technical or electrical then there is a lot for you to study...

Feel free to ask me any details you want. I'll try to help you out, ok?!
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline wbarnhill

• CAVU but no $ to fly.
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2006, 11:16:20 PM »
I'm looking at the school in Greenville, SC.  According to them it'll take about 2 years before I could take the exam, based upon the courses I need to take (since I've never done anything really in mechanics I need to take a few semesters extra of "basics" to get me up to par).  I'm really liking the idea, but someone else also mentioned cost of tools, which I suppose I'd need to look into as well :D  But if anything I might get started in it and see how I like it since it's not terribly expensive.

Offline spacer

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 12:22:44 AM »
I would think so. At least, at the repair station where I worked, labor costs could add up quickly depending on the aircraft.
For the annual, however, you have to have an IA, or have one sign off for you.
Since I left the shop, I didn't bother finishing my ratings (don't need one at a repair station) and am building an experimental.
I don't really like working on other folks' planes for a living... too much like *work*.

Offline snader

• aircraftmech
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2007, 08:09:30 AM »
Tundraflyer just spent $7000 on an annual for a C-150. I am sure some of it was labor.

Getting your A&P is always a good idea. Even if you don't use it for your own plane, you have practically learned a new profession to fall back on (i.e. if you lose your medical or something)
Our helicopter A&P's here in LA start with $17 per hour and some of them make as much as $40 per hour (that's in California though)
It's helping me out tremedously here in the desert and even some of the Airtanker pilots here are A&P's as well.
On top of that I learned a lot more about aviation and planes than I would have ever learned just flying them. Understanding how everything works helps you as a pilot as well.

The only way I could afford my own plane is if I work on it myself, I ran the numbers when I was looking (see respective thread)

I can only say: "go for it"!

But keep in mind that this rating is a little harder to get than your PPL. People often underestimate that. There is no "I'll just get my A&P real quick while I am in school..."
If you have never done anything technical or electrical then there is a lot for you to study...

Feel free to ask me any details you want. I'll try to help you out, ok?!

amen to that  ;)

Arguing over the internet is like competing in the special olympics, u may win but u are still retarded.

Offline spacer

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2007, 03:09:47 AM »
There is also another bonus.
You will be a pilot who knows what's going on with the airplane.
It was amazing, while I worked in the shop, how many instructor/corporate/cargo pilots came through and showed a complete lack of understanding about what was really going on with the plane. They may have been decent pilots, but when the airplane starts to act up in flight... it helps to know what she's tryin' to tell ya.
It may not make you more money in the long run... but it just may save your bacon.

Offline snader

• aircraftmech
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2007, 06:26:33 PM »
Don't forget about personal interest in your carreer and self devellopment that a lot of people don't seem to care about.
In my opinion learning is allways a good idea even if it doesn't fill my wallet.

Arguing over the internet is like competing in the special olympics, u may win but u are still retarded.

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
  • It's not an old plane, it's a classic!
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2007, 05:12:19 AM »

Actually, that was mostly labor.  The annual turned up some delamination corrosion in one of the main wing spar reinforcing brackets.  And I ended up needing the entire wing stripped down to the ribs and rebuild.  Only materials were 1 sheet of aluminum, a little paint and a whole bunch of rivets.

While an A&P would definitly be helpfull, I think I'd still take my plane to a professional mechanic.   There's no way that by flying and maintaining one plane I could ever approach the level of skill and knowlege that someone gets inspecting, maintaining and repairing them every single day.

On the other hand I will build a homebuilt plane, and maintain that myself.  But then, by the time I finish building it I should have more than enough experience to inspect and maintain it myself.

Phil

Offline YawningMan

• Cockerel
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2007, 10:38:50 PM »
Looks like I'll be taking this route, as well.

Thanks to my buddy, Uncle Sam, my schooling for this will largely be paid for.     ;D

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2007, 12:19:43 AM »
I would think having your A & P would be very valuable, because then you would always be sure to hear the REALLY GOOD pilot jokes.

:D     :D     :D     :D     :D     :D

Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline spacer

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2007, 03:14:58 AM »
I would think having your A & P would be very valuable, because then you would always be sure to hear the REALLY GOOD pilot jokes.

:D     :D     :D     :D     :D     :D

I won't name names... but some of the pilots who ventured back to our shop *were* jokes. ::rofl::

They were in the minority, but I never really had much respect for the pilots who couldn't be bothered to
learn anything about the workings of their plane.

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
  • It's not an old plane, it's a classic!
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2007, 03:28:40 AM »
Of course that would end the age old argument about who's plane is it?  The Pilots or the crew chiefs.   ???

Phil

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2007, 06:13:36 AM »
Hey, you don't have to name Names...  there are so many I can think of that we'd run the list off the page.      ::loony::

You are right on...  pretty hard to work on a machine and then watch some ham-fisted moron undo all the progress.   

Personally, I appreciate all the guys who have kept me alive, and continue to do so.  So, I'll keep buying the beers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are all in this together..........   8)
Don't make me come back there!!!!

airtac

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2007, 11:30:15 AM »
"HAM FISTED MORON"   (I'm Baaaaaaa-aaack) why, mommy dearest, are you casting stones at aviators that you know personally?