Author Topic: Remeberance day  (Read 12729 times)

Offline CDNpilot

• Aviation.ca
Remeberance day
« on: November 11, 2005, 06:53:08 AM »
November 11th -----  Here in Canada it is rememberance day.  Here is a little clip that i found that is really powerfull.
http://www.aviation.ca/PittanceofTime.wmv
I hate to wake up and find my co-pilot asleep

Offline Sleek-Jet

• Rooster
Re: Remeberance day
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2005, 05:21:19 PM »
Vet's day here in the States... A huge thankyou to all of those serving to protect out country, both past and present. 
A pilot is a confused soul who talks about women when he's around airplanes, and airplanes when he's around women.

Offline FlyboyGil

• Alpha Rooster
  • AW, CRAP!!!
    • MYSPACE!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2006, 12:33:06 AM »
That is a good one. Not many people even take the time out for that!!
IF YOU CAN'T SAY ANYTHING NICE, YOU'RE PROBABLY AT THE ICE CAPADES

Offline switchtech

• Cockerel
  • Climb, Communicate, Confess, Comply
    • SwitchTech's home page
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2006, 02:19:27 AM »
Where I work, on the American Veterans' day we take a minute out of the work day to silently observe and remember.  Usually there follows a big ceremony in a common area where veterans are brought in to speak about their experiences in combat.

Since this was started regarding Canada's Remembrance Day:

Ode of Remembrance

They went with songs to the battle, they were young.
    Straight of limb, true of eyes, steady and aglow.
    They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted,
    They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall not grow old, as we that are left grow old:
    Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
    We will remember them.

Lest we forget.
    We will remember them

Thanks for sharing.  The link to the video clip is much appreciated.

jbs
The sky and land joined for one brief moment, then we flew - the ground a receding memory for just a little while.

fireflyr

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2006, 06:34:08 AM »
Vet's day here in the States... A huge thankyou to all of those serving to protect out country, both past and present. 
As for me, well thanks Sleek, |:)\ |:)\
As the flower of our youth go to fight for what we feel is right in this generation----I'm not certain the mission has been thought through well enough but I support their individual devotion to duty and my daily prayers are for the well being of ALL in the battle zone, including the indigenous peoples.

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2006, 06:44:30 PM »
Not sure how I missed this thread.  This is a poem that was always read by the Boy Scouts on Memorial Day.  As I've grown, I've come to appreciate it more than when I read it at the cemetary.

In Flanders Fields
By: Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, MD (1872-1918)
Canadian Army
IN FLANDERS FIELDS the poppies blow
Between the crosses row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty

Offline FlyboyGil

• Alpha Rooster
  • AW, CRAP!!!
    • MYSPACE!!!
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 10:29:12 PM »
Here's to our fallen dead, and to those who served. Lest we Forget. |:)\ |:)\ |:)\

Offline Franz

• Cockerel
  • Glider Pilot
    • Sportfluggruppe Leck
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 11:24:14 PM »
I don't think we have a day like this here in Germany, and if you would suggest its introduction you'd probably hanged on the nearest tree by some "liberals" who are just do not get the basic idea of being liberal.
Quote from: wikipedia
Broadly speaking, liberalism emphasizes individual rights and equality of opportunity. Different forms of liberalism may propose very different policies, but they are generally united by their support for a number of principles, including extensive freedom of thought and speech, ...

I'm not certain the mission has been thought through well enough but I support their individual devotion to duty and my daily prayers are for the well being of ALL in the battle zone, including the indigenous peoples.
|:)\

How comes that politicians send soldiers into battle and then its the soldiers who have "Murderer" yelled at them ?

Offline PiperGirl

• Rooster
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 03:10:22 AM »
Hey Flyboy, I'm glad that you revived this thread. I'm ashamed to admit that I had forgotten that Vetrans Day is soon approaching. I know several Vets |:)\ |:)\, and will make a point of telling them thank you on the 11th. I especially think about the soldiers (of many countries) who are on duty right now, and appreciate their willingness to serve their country even though it may not be popular, they are far a way from home, and they can't just take a vacation when ever they want.

[insert American Flag waving smiley] |:)\
No guilt in life, no fear in death /This is the power of Christ in me /From life’s first cry to final breath /Jesus commands my destiny~ Newsboys "In Christ Alone"

Offline FlyboyGil

• Alpha Rooster
  • AW, CRAP!!!
    • MYSPACE!!!
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 03:25:49 AM »
Hey Flyboy, I'm glad that you revived this thread. I'm ashamed to admit that I had forgotten that Vetrans Day is soon approaching. I know several Vets |:)\ |:)\, and will make a point of telling them thank you on the 11th. I especially think about the soldiers (of many countries) who are on duty right now, and appreciate their willingness to serve their country even though it may not be popular, they are far a way from home, and they can't just take a vacation when ever they want.

[insert American Flag waving smiley] |:)\

Hear Hear!! I'd insert a Canadian flag waving if I could. I don't know any vets, but I make it a point to attend the Rememberance Day ceremony when I can. It's this Sunday, so I'll definitely be there. 

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 05:56:32 AM »
While I'm neither Canadian or American then I'd like to pay my respects as well for people trying to save the free world |:)\

And on that day I'll also pay my respects to another person without whom I wouldn't be alive, my mom, on her 65th birthday.

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Rooster Cruiser

• Alpha Rooster
  • Retired Chicken Hauler
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2007, 06:47:23 AM »
As a Veteran, I appreciate the thanks given by so few.  However I do not feel worthy of thanks, since I did not sacrifice life nor limb like so many who came before me for my country.  Instead, all I sacrificed were several short years.  I did not do it for accolades...  I did it to protect my homeland, my family, and my friends.

I too read those words of Flanders Fields and others, and I felt I should do something to honor those who fell for me, so I volunteered on 1 Feb 1983.

It seemed the least I could do.   |:)\
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 04:38:55 PM by Rooster Cruiser »
"Me 'n Earl was haulin' chickens / On a flatbed outta Wiggins..."

Wolf Creek Pass, by CW McCall

Offline FlyboyGil

• Alpha Rooster
  • AW, CRAP!!!
    • MYSPACE!!!
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2007, 08:06:10 PM »
While I'm neither Canadian or American then I'd like to pay my respects as well for people trying to save the free world |:)\

And on that day I'll also pay my respects to another person without whom I wouldn't be alive, my mom, on her 65th birthday.

Frank

HAPPEE BERTHDAE FRANKS MUM!!!! :) :) :)

Offline PiperGirl

• Rooster
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2007, 09:08:23 PM »

Frank

HAPPEE BERTHDAE FRANKS MUM!!!! :) :) :)

::wave:: Hi Frank's Mom! Hope you have a great birthday!  |:)\
No guilt in life, no fear in death /This is the power of Christ in me /From life’s first cry to final breath /Jesus commands my destiny~ Newsboys "In Christ Alone"

Offline FlyboyGil

• Alpha Rooster
  • AW, CRAP!!!
    • MYSPACE!!!
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2007, 04:41:45 PM »
I know this day is past, but I received this in an email. I think it would appeal to most of you  |:)\ |:)\