Author Topic: TIED DOWN!!!  (Read 12669 times)

fireflyr

Re: TIED DOWN!!!
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2006, 03:51:31 PM »
Funny strip and a good safety lesson as well, and some good real world experiences to learn from in the posts here too  |:)\
I wonder how a ladybug could get in, isn't that what the cover is for? Or did it crawl in bewteen the time it was taken off and the plane was started?

Frank
Not all pilots use pitot covers---I only use one if the A/C is so equipped---many are not.

Offline happylanding

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2006, 04:53:20 PM »
talking about ladybugs, you make me remember - an it has nothing to do with aviation - that last year there was a bush near my house that look like a condo for ladybugs, since there were hundreds of them during the entire Summer season! mates, too bad I did not take any picture, since it was incredible, something magic. :)
I give that landing a 9 . . . on the Richter scale.

Offline Ted_Stryker

• Chicken Farmer
  • Rooster
  • Never Forget 9/11/2001
    • Cyber Forensics
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2006, 03:49:36 PM »
Funny strip and a good safety lesson as well, and some good real world experiences to learn from in the posts here too  |:)\
I wonder how a ladybug could get in, isn't that what the cover is for? Or did it crawl in bewteen the time it was taken off and the plane was started?

Frank

Good point!  The plane was indeed so equipped, but it was a rental, and was too little utilized.  The plane was tied down on the ramp often without the pitot cover on.  I assure you, however, after I was done with the plane post-repair, the cover went on! :)

It's an easy thing to overlook, and I've even seen people stick a pitot tube cover on a hot tube, or leave it in place and then take off.  One thing is certain.... a hot pitot tube and a pitot tube cover don't go well together!  Most of the covers are made from a cheap fake leather/vynil, and they melt onto the hot metal tube, creating a real mess for the mechanic to deal with.
We're going to have to come in pretty low!  It's just one of those things you have to do... when you land!  -- Ted Striker - Airplane!

Offline Ted_Stryker

• Chicken Farmer
  • Rooster
  • Never Forget 9/11/2001
    • Cyber Forensics
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2006, 03:51:49 PM »
talking about ladybugs, you make me remember - an it has nothing to do with aviation - that last year there was a bush near my house that look like a condo for ladybugs, since there were hundreds of them during the entire Summer season! mates, too bad I did not take any picture, since it was incredible, something magic. :)

Wow... I know that some consider ladybugs to be good luck, but they were a real pain for my next door neighbor.  They set up shop last season all around the back of his house!  You don't dare kill them as they stain and smell like crazy too!  So long as they don't get inside my house, cockpit, pitot/static system, etc., I'm okay with leaving well enough alone! :) :)
We're going to have to come in pretty low!  It's just one of those things you have to do... when you land!  -- Ted Striker - Airplane!

fireflyr

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2006, 11:06:13 PM »

Wow... I know that some consider ladybugs to be good luck, but they were a real pain for my next door neighbor. They set up shop last season all around the back of his house! You don't dare kill them as they stain and smell like crazy too! So long as they don't get inside my house, cockpit, pitot/static system, etc., I'm okay with leaving well enough alone! :) :)
Ladybugs are little hellonwheels aphid eaters----leave em' alone and they'll protect your flowers!

Offline Ted_Stryker

• Chicken Farmer
  • Rooster
  • Never Forget 9/11/2001
    • Cyber Forensics
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2006, 02:39:06 PM »

Wow... I know that some consider ladybugs to be good luck, but they were a real pain for my next door neighbor. They set up shop last season all around the back of his house! You don't dare kill them as they stain and smell like crazy too! So long as they don't get inside my house, cockpit, pitot/static system, etc., I'm okay with leaving well enough alone! :) :)
Ladybugs are little hellonwheels aphid eaters----leave em' alone and they'll protect your flowers!

Well, that's good to know....  now if I had flowers!  I've got a hedge along the front of my house, grass, and trees.  If it requires more care than what mother nature can do without my attention, it doesn't survive with me.  I could kill a plastic plant!   ;D

fireflyr

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2006, 09:51:53 PM »

Well, that's good to know....  now if I had flowers!  I've got a hedge along the front of my house, grass, and trees.  If it requires more care than what mother nature can do without my attention, it doesn't survive with me.  I could kill a plastic plant!   ;D
I can relate to that, after years of having a reputation as a plant killer, I hired a gardener----place looks awesome and I have more time for gin and tonic when I get home. :D

Offline happylanding

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2006, 04:28:08 PM »
Fireflyr, I can understand the point. I was able to kill even a cactie........  :P
I give that landing a 9 . . . on the Richter scale.

fireflyr

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2006, 02:37:01 AM »
Fireflyr, I can understand the point. I was able to kill even a cactie........  :P
Hey, don't worry. some folks fly airplanes and some folks grow plants-----and we know which catagory we fit in!!! 8)

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2006, 08:19:26 AM »

Been there, done that.

Back to the strip...Anyone ever forget the chocks before start up?  On a check ride?   :-[
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty

fireflyr

« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2006, 03:25:41 PM »

Back to the strip...Anyone ever forget the chocks before start up?  On a check ride?   :-[
Oh yeah, several times, and it's soooo embarassing to have to shut down and ask the right seater to remove the chock when you're suppossed to be scrambling on a fire! :-[

Offline Plthijnx

• Alpha Rooster
  • My da*n easy button's broken. Can I borrow yours?
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2006, 05:38:58 PM »
chocks - yes, on a checkride - no. jeez that'd be an almost guaranteed bust!
The three best things in life are a good landing, a good orgasm, and a good bowel movement. The night carrier landing is one of the few opportunities in life to experience all three at the same time. - Unknown

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2006, 08:24:36 PM »
I passed the ride just fine, but the check pilot gave me a look like I was the dumbest thing she'd seen all day.
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2006, 11:35:33 PM »
well......  you don't ever have to worry about THAT as long as I am still kicking!!!  heh heh!!

;)   ;)   ;)   ;)   :D   :D   :D
Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2006, 11:38:38 PM »
Ooh ooh!  I just went from a newbie to a fledgling...  OH BOY!!

I have to go preen now..  I think I feel some feathers coming in.

::)   ::)   ::) 
Don't make me come back there!!!!