Author Topic: TIED DOWN!!!  (Read 12631 times)

fireflyr

TIED DOWN!!!
« on: August 01, 2006, 10:48:35 PM »
HAAAAHA!!
Been there done that :-[ :-[
Talk about embarassing!  (I thought YOU untied the tail......)

Offline spacer

• Alpha Rooster
Re: TIED DOWN!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 12:08:01 AM »
No, I thought YOU untied it!

Offline Ted_Stryker

• Chicken Farmer
  • Rooster
  • Never Forget 9/11/2001
    • Cyber Forensics
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 08:43:20 PM »
Great one guys!!!

I love the way you worked in Star Trek into it! :)

Since this year is Star Trek's 40th, there are some huge going's ons all across the planet, the largest celebrations being in San Franscisco, Las Vegas (at Star Trek The Experience in the Las Vegas Hilton), and Chicago... but there are planned parties and events clear to Dusseldorf and Moscow!

I wonder if any of those Trek fans would be hitching a ride with Chuck on a flight around then...hmmmm    ::) ;D
We're going to have to come in pretty low!  It's just one of those things you have to do... when you land!  -- Ted Striker - Airplane!

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 08:49:26 PM »
Thanks guys.

Stef was sneaking that "tractor beam" in at the very end. The original strip didn't have it. But that's one of the great advantages of having two people working on a strip, we feed off eachother. It made it a lot more funny didn't it?!

Hey Fireflyer!
I heard a smoke jumper make a comment about the type of aircraft you're flying the other day. It cracked me up since I've never heard it before but one flew over just after he said it and I can totally see it:
"It looks like a flying shopping-cart !!"    HA HA HA  :D
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

fireflyr

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2006, 11:17:35 PM »
HAAAAHAAA-----ROFL!!!!! ;D
MAN, I never heard that one before but it's true---buy the guy a beer and send me the bill.   |:)\ |:)\

Oh, by the way, I only flew them for the money---don't actually like anything about the damn thing.  >:(   Probably be back flying a Commander next year or ?????? something else. 8)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 11:20:41 PM by fireflyr »

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2006, 11:26:50 PM »
Really?

I thought they fly nice. Isn't that what everybody keeps saying?
Lots of maintenance but at least they are great in the air???

I understand though. I just do this for the money as well. I prefer the AStar but any helicopter will do. I choose the job based on money and not based on type...

fireflyr

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2006, 03:09:06 AM »
Really?

I thought they fly nice. Isn't that what everybody keeps saying?
Lots of maintenance but at least they are great in the air???

I understand though. I just do this for the money as well. I prefer the AStar but any helicopter will do. I choose the job based on money and not based on type...
Poor acceleration on takeoff, poor payload (with full fuel and 2 pax, I was grossed out), cramped interior, and being really noisy were not endearing qualities for an air attack airplane----I'll pick a normally asperated Commander over a turbocharged mixmaster anytime, single engine ceiling be damned!  (guess the Forest Service feels the same way)

Offline Stef

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
    • Chicken Wings
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2006, 11:59:02 AM »
Great one guys!!!

Since this year is Star Trek's 40th, there are some huge going's ons all across the planet, the largest celebrations being in San Franscisco, Las Vegas (at Star Trek The Experience in the Las Vegas Hilton), and Chicago... but there are planned parties and events clear to Dusseldorf and Moscow!

I wonder if any of those Trek fans would be hitching a ride with Chuck on a flight around then...hmmmm    ::) ;D

Hehe, to be honest, I wasn't even sure if the Klingons use tractor beams... I like the various series a lot, but my favorite one is "Enterprise", although I have only sean seasons 1 to 3 so far. I wouldn't go as far as studying the Klingon language though. Had a drill instructor at the army who could speak Klingon!! Haha! How well-fitting is that!  ;D

Offline Ted_Stryker

• Chicken Farmer
  • Rooster
  • Never Forget 9/11/2001
    • Cyber Forensics
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2006, 06:59:52 PM »
Great one guys!!!

Hehe, to be honest, I wasn't even sure if the Klingons use tractor beams... I like the various series a lot, but my favorite one is "Enterprise", although I have only sean seasons 1 to 3 so far. I wouldn't go as far as studying the Klingon language though. Had a drill instructor at the army who could speak Klingon!! Haha! How well-fitting is that!  ;D

Hehheh... yes... that would indeed be very appropriate for a DI!!  :)

Klingons do have tractor beam technology.... they just don't use it often.  Normally they blow up whatever they are chasing instead.
We're going to have to come in pretty low!  It's just one of those things you have to do... when you land!  -- Ted Striker - Airplane!

Offline happylanding

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2006, 08:46:27 PM »
things that happen? fortunately it didn't happen to me yet!  ;D
But I once was trying to contact Lugano tower (120.25) on the eme frequency, without noticing the "slight difference".It was the first time I was taxiing by myself and I was already damning the radio, sure it had some problems............OOOPS! :)  But you make me remember (and in this case it was not me the pilot) that once the twr was asking the pilot ready to take off if he had done his external check. "why? sure" was the reply. "Well, you still have your remove before flight pitot cover on....".  :P
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 08:50:03 PM by happylanding »
I give that landing a 9 . . . on the Richter scale.

Offline Roland

• Cockerel
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2006, 08:46:44 AM »
Oh the do happen, they do. That brings us to the point that one of the most important inspections is the walk-around-inspection!!!

Every time one enters an aircraft it is to be done. Even on very short stops. I can tell stories one looong evening long from occurrences which happened by not properly done walk-around-inspections. And only a few ended so simple like the one in the strip. Mostly the aircraft was heavily damaged, sometimes people got killed. And it has mainly to do with “routine”.
If helicopter flying would be difficult, engineers would do it.

Offline Ted_Stryker

• Chicken Farmer
  • Rooster
  • Never Forget 9/11/2001
    • Cyber Forensics
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2006, 03:10:48 PM »
Just goes to prove that we can never be complacent nor presumptive when making so-called "routine" inspections!

Even when done thoroughly there can still be surprises.  I had a clean walk-around inspection, had a perfect run up test, and ended up having to abort a takeoff on an IFR training flight once.  I had no Airspeed indicator readings!  The problem: a ladybug had crawled into the pitot tube opening and got herself lodged way back inside it!  No way to detect the issue, and it took a lot of pressure from an air compressor to blow the thing out of the dissassembled pitot-static system on the wing!

Talk about things bugging you!!   ;D |:)\

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2006, 03:27:28 PM »
I have seen people do a thorough prefilght of every part of the engine, even make me replace zip-ties and then try to start the thing with the blade still tied down. One guy took off with all his seatbelts hanging out  banging against the side of the fuselage and one guy forgot to disconnect the APU (see second book)...
Not to mention a fuel truck hitting the a rotorblade while we were inside just to pay our bill. (Looked away for just 5 min!)

I always tried to teach my students to take a good look around the cockpit, especially on a rented aircraft. You never know what the other guy did or forgot and it's usually nothing in the engine. (Unless they just did a 100hr or something, I rarely ever found something wrong with the engine)

Offline Ted_Stryker

• Chicken Farmer
  • Rooster
  • Never Forget 9/11/2001
    • Cyber Forensics
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2006, 03:46:40 PM »
In keeping with that good advice, Mike, I'd like to take this chance to remind people that a post-flight inspection can be helpful too!

I have, on more than one occassion, forgotten my cell phone, or suction-cup pen holder that I had stuck to the pilot's side window before takeoff.

Fortunately, I fly out of a really great FBO, who has been wonderful about retrieving and holding such items for me post-flight.  (Ok... I have to put in a shameless plug for them... it's Skyline Aeronautics out of KSUS, Chesterfield, Missouri.  I gave out numerous copies of the first Chicken Wings books, and one CFII MEI there was a recipient.  http://www.skylineaero.com :) )

Offline Frank N. O.

• Alpha Rooster
  • Spin It!
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2006, 02:29:59 PM »
Funny strip and a good safety lesson as well, and some good real world experiences to learn from in the posts here too  |:)\
I wonder how a ladybug could get in, isn't that what the cover is for? Or did it crawl in bewteen the time it was taken off and the plane was started?

Frank
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
— Leonardo da Vinci