Author Topic: Final 29 and final 11  (Read 10860 times)

Offline Baradium

• Alpha Rooster
Re: Final 29 and final 11
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2006, 08:27:35 AM »
no hable espanol aqui!

considering spanish is an ICAO language i guess they could force us technically to speak it.

Aviation is standardized around English.  Even in Europe all conversations between ATC and aircraft are *supposed* to be in English.
"Well I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I stand my ground, and I won't back down"
  -Johnny Cash "I won't back Down"

undatc

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2006, 01:57:25 PM »
no hable espanol aqui!

considering spanish is an ICAO language i guess they could force us technically to speak it.

Aviation is standardized around English.  Even in Europe all conversations between ATC and aircraft are *supposed* to be in English.

Yea.... Supposed to be, my ATC professorers are mainly ex air force and they constantly tell us abot back in the day....  Actually they were stationed in Spain and Germany and as they are both ICAO languages, they had lots of pilots calling up in German and Spanish, there  is funny story they told me about a guy who called up in castiliean (sp?) and the controller couldnt understand or something, ill try to find the story again.  Also us as controllers if we go for our ICAO license, something we dont have to do here in the US, is we have to be able to control in two of the ICAO languages.

Offline TheSoccerMom

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2006, 09:59:56 PM »
A friend of mine who flew the Asian rim for years in a B-747 said that was the worst place in the world for so-called "English" from ATC.  From the crew's stories, it sounded amazing that there aren't more accidents from garbled clearances.  She said it was ridiculous. 

???   ???   ???

She also said it made coming home that much nicer....  to ATC you could actually understand!!!!!!!!!!     8)
Don't make me come back there!!!!

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2006, 08:44:06 PM »
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
  • It's not an old plane, it's a classic!
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2006, 10:16:21 PM »
We do opposite direction landings in Fairbanks all the time.   Usually the winds are calm around here.  If they are using the 1s and you're coming from the north and they have enough of a break before the next traffic from the south comes in, they'll let you land on 19 and visa versa. 

This is more common in the evening hours as traffic starts to trail off.   Late at night you'll probobly be the only one they're tallking to anyway.

Of course, up here we also have FSS's acting as ATC as well.  ;)

I'll second that.  Most of my flying here is in the summer evenings.  And I've had ATC land someone on the oppisite as I was on a straight in approch.  But usually I was still a mile or more out when they touched down.

And I was a bit startled the first time I flew into Gulkana and made a blind position report on CTAF only to have the FSS clear me to land and advise me of geese on the runway.  Now there's a bird strike you want to avoid!

Phil