Author Topic: Interesting Photo  (Read 118192 times)

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
Re: Interesting Photo
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2006, 05:53:39 PM »
yeah!

that looks a bit more like Chuck!
Keep em coming!
Dear IRS: Please cancel my subscription.

Offline Sleek-Jet

• Rooster
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2006, 05:17:48 PM »
Well.... it isn't a picture.... Chuck????   ::) ::) :o
A pilot is a confused soul who talks about women when he's around airplanes, and airplanes when he's around women.

Offline Stef

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
    • Chicken Wings
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2006, 06:10:16 PM »
oh my god!!! :o what happened there? did the pilot get unconcious?!?!?! It's a miracle that nobody got hurt! Cool video though... :)

Offline Sleek-Jet

• Rooster
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2006, 06:35:34 PM »
oh my god!!! :o what happened there? did the pilot get unconcious?!?!?! It's a miracle that nobody got hurt! Cool video though... :)

I don't know... looks like he ran out of room, don't know if it was takeoff or landing...
A pilot is a confused soul who talks about women when he's around airplanes, and airplanes when he's around women.

Offline chuckar101

• Rooster
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2006, 06:23:50 AM »
looked to me like he was trying to land in a very tight and congested area.  Those boats seemed awful close.  Cool video though.
WOW I did that!

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2006, 04:03:37 PM »
WOW :o

Looks like an "Always" sequel stunt gone wrong!
I would say he ran out of room as well (either on the landing OR on takeoff)

Would you call this a "sudden stoppage" on the left engine? ;D

Offline Have Blue

« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2006, 06:53:13 PM »
That was a scene from a movie. :P
"I'm sure as hell not a killer, but flying combat is like a game, and a guy likes to come out on top."
-George Preddy, P-51 ace

Offline chuckar101

• Rooster
« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2006, 05:47:28 AM »
What movie?
WOW I did that!

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2006, 01:25:30 PM »

I am confused. The video sleek put on here is a scene from a movie?
or are you talking about "Always"?? ???

If this was a scene from a movie, why are there confused looking by-standers on the beach???
« Last Edit: January 08, 2006, 01:31:33 PM by Mike »

Offline Sleek-Jet

• Rooster
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2006, 07:18:06 PM »

I am confused. The video sleek put on here is a scene from a movie?
or are you talking about "Always"?? ???

If this was a scene from a movie, why are there confused looking by-standers on the beach???

Pulled this from another site... Supercub.org or something like that...

Rather long account of what happened to cause the accident and it's outcome.

WILD GOOSE
Back in the “olden days”, when Tamarindo was a small village and everyone knew everyone else, filmmaker Bruce Brown chose the town to shoot a segment for his new movie "Endless Summer II". The sequel to the famous surfing movie "Endless Summer" came a generation later than the original, and, of course, featured new stars: Wingnut and Pat O'Connor, together with one of the originals, Robert August.

Living in Flamingo at that time was a pilot, "Hoot" Gibson, who had spent several years obtaining his commercial licence in Costa Rica. Hoot owned a vintage Grumman Goose seaplane, relic of World War II, and intended to charter it for tours. Given the state of the roads then - and not much improved since - a seaplane seemed the way to go to explore a country surrounded by sea.

Robert August had a fine idea: To charter the Goose to fly the film crew and its surfers around the coasts of Costa Rica, Nicaragua and Panama, looking for unknown or little-known surf spots to shoot their sequences. Apart from being much faster to cover more area, the aircraft was highly superior to a boat, which could only examine the waves from the "back", or ocean, side whereas a 'plane could approach from the landward side, too. "Endless Summer II" was Hoot's first charter in Costa Rica, and was to last two weeks.

On the first day, the Goose took off from the airport. The plan was to fly out to Cabo Velas, return along Playa Grande and land in the bay near Tamarindo estuary, where the crew would board, then to take off on their adventures.

The camera crew set up on Tamarindo Beach, ready to shoot the approach and landing for the movie. But instead of flying from Cabo Velas, approaching Tamarindo from the west along the Playa Grande coastline, the big Grumman twin came roaring down the river from the north, putting on a show for the camera. On board were the pilot, "Hoot" Gibson, and local resident and California board shaper, the late Mike "Doc" Diffenderfer.

Approaching Tamarindo, the pilot started a right turn to follow the estuary, but his height was insufficient. Presumably he suddenly became aware of the power lines which cross the river at that point, and was forced to fly below them. The right pontoon caught the water, and jerked the aircraft to the right. Overcorrecting, the pilot put the left float into the water, and the aircraft swerved to that side.

Gibson applied full take-off power to get the aircraft back into the air, but it careered from the river onto the beach, where it ground-looped and came to a stop. The whole incident was filmed, and eventually became part of the movie.

"At this point," said August, "we saw fuel spraying from the aircraft onto the sand, and there was a distinct danger of a fire or explosion. As we approached the 'plane, the doors opened and Hoot and Doc jumped out, fortunately both unhurt. From a nearby beach house, a resident came running, carrying a big club and shouting at the pilot that he was in a national park, and polluting the beach. We managed to calm him down, and the incident ended at that point."

Eyewitness Dean Butterfield adds: “I was up the hill looking over the estuary, watching Hoot Gibson fly the plane through it. He was doing touch and go’s in the estuary, I was wondering why he felt he had to do that in there. As he came out to the mouth I think he saw the cable stretched across at the last minute and tried to duck under it. He caught the wing tip and stuffed it into the sand.

By the time I got down to it, there were a lot of people around. I took pictures and made a T-shirt from one.”

Officials of Minae also attended the site very shortly after the accident, and charged the pilot with flying in a protected zone (Parque Marina las Baulas). As a result, Gibson's licence, obtained over several years, was withdrawn after one brief flight.

"As it happened, the club-bearing resident did quite well out of the crash." August continues. "The plane suffered damage to a wing and one of the propellers, and parts for a vintage seaplane are not procured at your local NAPA store, so the aircraft had to sit for a year or so while repairs were made. During this time the aircraft was parked in the resident's back garden, he and his family being paid for caretaker duty against theft or vandalism. I believe someone of the family slept in their garden ornament every night."

The day after the accident, filming continued with a scene where supposed crash passengers August, Wingnut and Pat O'Connor climb cheerfully from the Goose, carrying their boards, and run off to the surf.

Seriously concerned that accident investigators or other officials might confiscate the film shot up to that point, Director Bruce Brown hired a friend to hop a Sansa flight to San José, thence to Los Angeles for processing. Fortunately, the film escaped customs examination but, arriving in Los Angeles, it was delayed a couple of days en route for the processing studio by the Rodney King riots, which occurred in the vicinity of the studio.

The Goose was eventually repaired and flown out of Tamarindo.

Offline chuckar101

• Rooster
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2006, 01:14:57 AM »
Okay so it actually happened and then was used in a movie.  I finally understand thanks sleek.
WOW I did that!

Offline Mike

• Supreme Overlord
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2006, 02:54:03 AM »
wow, what a cool story actually...
I had no idea!

fireflyr

« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2006, 11:32:21 PM »
Interesting pictures--I see Chukar taliking about ELY----I spent what seemed like a year ther one fire season, did some great fishing and found a great saloon in the town next door---same bartender for 63 years!!!!!

Offline Mark

« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2006, 01:18:32 AM »
these 2 planes get a little too close

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/2006/01/planeclosecall.html
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.
- Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2006, 03:23:45 AM »
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty