Author Topic: Interesting Photo  (Read 118200 times)

fireflyr

Re: Interesting Photo
« Reply #240 on: July 24, 2006, 09:33:08 PM »
Interesting, Ted,  |:)\
Makes me wonder about people who doubt the effects of global warming and mankind's detrimental behavior in regards to our  planet's health.    ???
Watch for a new subject regarding global warming.

Offline happylanding

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #241 on: July 24, 2006, 10:16:57 PM »
good observation Fireflyr! we'd all need people thinking and realizing like you that fact!  |:)\
I give that landing a 9 . . . on the Richter scale.

Offline Ted_Stryker

• Chicken Farmer
  • Rooster
  • Never Forget 9/11/2001
    • Cyber Forensics
« Reply #242 on: July 31, 2006, 11:06:41 PM »
Just for the record, I don't have doubts about the fact that there is indeed global warming.

The one point still open to conjecture is IF mankind has any real appreciable contributory effect.  The scientific community is still out on that one, and if one listens to the fear mongers, one might never step out of one's house, much less exhale.

Until there is verifiable, undeniable proof that mankind can have a significant impact, I'm not going to take measures that would be expensive for me personally, nor inconvienient.

All too many times in history we've been warned about things that we are doing that are good, or bad, and then, later, we come to find out that it's either not true, or the opposite is true.

Until the jury comes in, I'm keeping an open mind.  One thing is for certain.... the climate on this planet, and indeed any planet with some form of atmosphere, is cyclic.  Even the sun itself goes through cyclic changes and periods of high and low sunspot activity.  I suspect the same is true with heating and cooling cycles of the planet.

Considering there is far more pollution in a single volcanic eruption than mankind can produce collectively over a much, much longer time span, I think we can safely say that any contributory effect by mankind is minimal in all liklihood.

And, nature has a way of cleaning itself up too.  Remnants of oil spills even dissappear over time.

Just my two cents  ;D
We're going to have to come in pretty low!  It's just one of those things you have to do... when you land!  -- Ted Striker - Airplane!

Offline Callisto

• Cockerel
« Reply #243 on: August 02, 2006, 06:26:09 PM »
hear, hear Ted!

I'm with you on this. The climate has been fluctuating since the beginning of time. Long before us and long after. That's nature. Ice ages, Tropic Zones reaching far north, huge hurricanes, volcanoes, floods.. all happening with out our help for eons. How can we screw up a whole planet in 150 years (the begining if the Industral Revolution)?

So between Ted and I, you've got 4 cents!
If not completely satisfied with this post, return unused portion for full refund.

Offline kkrummy1

« Reply #244 on: August 24, 2006, 06:44:07 PM »
I had a science teacher back in the 60's, kind of a hippy wannabe type who told all us kids that if the Alaska pipleline was built, New York would be under water by 1975.  The problem these days is that in order for a scientist to get funding he has to come up with a problem.  Hence we have global warming, the ozone hole, and red tides.  Not saying we shouldn't watch our step and try to keep the environment clean, but old mother earth isn't in any danger.  Humans on the other hand........

KK

Offline Ted_Stryker

• Chicken Farmer
  • Rooster
  • Never Forget 9/11/2001
    • Cyber Forensics
« Reply #245 on: August 24, 2006, 10:04:56 PM »
It's basically like the old saying.....

"The number one cause of cancer in laboratory animals is.... SCIENTISTS!"

;D ;D ;D
We're going to have to come in pretty low!  It's just one of those things you have to do... when you land!  -- Ted Striker - Airplane!

fireflyr

« Reply #246 on: August 25, 2006, 03:16:24 AM »
I had a science teacher back in the 60's, kind of a hippy wannabe type who told all us kids that if the Alaska pipleline was built, New York would be under water by 1975.  The problem these days is that in order for a scientist to get funding he has to come up with a problem.  Hence we have global warming, the ozone hole, and red tides.  Not saying we shouldn't watch our step and try to keep the environment clean, but old mother earth isn't in any danger.  Humans on the other hand........

KK
HORSE HOCKEY!!!---Guess we can just ignore the facts---

Offline Ted_Stryker

• Chicken Farmer
  • Rooster
  • Never Forget 9/11/2001
    • Cyber Forensics
« Reply #247 on: August 25, 2006, 04:03:47 AM »

KK
HORSE HOCKEY!!!---Guess we can just ignore the facts---

Well... there are people on both sides of that issue.... and each side has facts to support each argument.  Let's just agree that there are some that disagree....

By the way.... on another debate issue.... is it possible to put skates on a horse and get them to play hockey????  Hmm.... time for another experiment :) :)

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #248 on: August 26, 2006, 02:39:16 AM »
By the way.... on another debate issue.... is it possible to put skates on a horse and get them to play hockey????  Hmm.... time for another experiment :) :)

If the horses are from ND or MN, they'd be naturals.
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
  • It's not an old plane, it's a classic!
« Reply #249 on: August 26, 2006, 05:51:50 AM »
Interesting, Ted, 
Makes me wonder about people who doubt the effects of global warming and mankind's detrimental behavior in regards to our  planet's health.   
Watch for a new subject regarding global warming.

Alaska just had a record cool wet summer, what's that say about global warming?  :P

And back in the 50's many scientists predicted we were entering the next ice age and Canada would be covered in glaciers by now.  :-*

If you read "Glacier Pilot" the biography of Bob Reeves, theres a story in there where he got stranded in Fairbanks one December in the 1930's.  He was on skis and it rained so much all the snow was gone!  :o 

Personally I think we need another 20 to 30 more years of good solid data to really have any idea what's going on with global climate. 8)

And if you REALLY want to reduce CO2 emmitions, turn off your air conditioning!  AC units are huge power hogs.  Even here were A/C's only used for 6 to 8 weeks a year, and only a very little is needed, it can double a buildings electrical load.  :(

Phil

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #250 on: August 26, 2006, 06:40:08 AM »
1: This looks like a scary place to land although it has it's beauty. I wonder if anyone here has landed there in real life?
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0199768/L/

No but I've landed at this one several times, can't see that's its any more difficult.
http://www.alaska.faa.gov/fai/images/TANVLY/INR-g.jpg

Offline Gulfstream Driver

• Chicken Farmer
  • Alpha Rooster
« Reply #251 on: August 26, 2006, 08:22:43 AM »
1: This looks like a scary place to land although it has it's beauty. I wonder if anyone here has landed there in real life?
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0199768/L/

No but I've landed at this one several times, can't see that's its any more difficult.
http://www.alaska.faa.gov/fai/images/TANVLY/INR-g.jpg

Is that the one with the approach plate that says "go around is very, very, very unlikely"?
Behind every great man, there is a woman rolling her eyes.  --Bruce Almighty

Offline Plthijnx

• Alpha Rooster
  • My da*n easy button's broken. Can I borrow yours?
« Reply #252 on: August 26, 2006, 05:18:09 PM »
here's some cool pics that were sent to me by a friend who stumbled on these guys adventure to oshkosh....i would've loved to have been with these guys!

awesome x-try

The three best things in life are a good landing, a good orgasm, and a good bowel movement. The night carrier landing is one of the few opportunities in life to experience all three at the same time. - Unknown

Offline happylanding

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #253 on: August 26, 2006, 07:28:09 PM »
here's some cool pics that were sent to me by a friend who stumbled on these guys adventure to oshkosh....i would've loved to have been with these guys!

awesome x-try

these pics and the colours are simply gooooooooorgeous! really nice shots!
I give that landing a 9 . . . on the Richter scale.

Offline tundra_flier

• Alpha Rooster
« Reply #254 on: August 28, 2006, 03:34:00 PM »
Is that the one with the approach plate that says "go around is very, very, very unlikely"?

Which one?  The original post or INR/PAIN.  Mckinly doesn't have any kind of IFR approch, you have to watch carefully to maintain 1000ft from the hotel on the mountain side on downwind. so I'll have to assume it's the other one.

Phil